Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages «<23456>»
Lee Hollands build diary Options
lholland
#61 Posted : 17 October 2017 16:13:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Onto this months build and I have started with the lightsaber ejector parts which seem pretty straight forward and look forward to testing this out.
File Attachment(s):
R2D2 31.jpg (302kb) downloaded 77 time(s).
R2D2 32.jpg (354kb) downloaded 58 time(s).
pemberg
#62 Posted : 17 October 2017 20:22:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Lee, looking good.

Graeme
Markwarren
#63 Posted : 17 October 2017 21:28:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Lovely work Lee, it’s certainly getting weighty now, it’s going to be an impressive weight when finished. Great weathering, very subtle, looks excellent. ThumpUp

Mark
Gandale
#64 Posted : 17 October 2017 23:08:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You're doing a great job, all looking fab.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#65 Posted : 17 October 2017 23:34:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Excellent work on the subtle weathering.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

lholland
#66 Posted : 18 October 2017 13:28:32

Thanks for the kind words everybody. Started on the other leg last night and looking forward to completing my training...sorry the lightsaber next month.
davetwin
#67 Posted : 19 October 2017 20:17:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice job with the weathering Lee, looks fantastic Drool
lholland
#68 Posted : 17 January 2018 14:11:07

Wow its been a while since I posted anything to date as I have been juggling between work, kids and house extensions going on but I have managed to update my build with everything so far and its an absolute gem of a build so far. Really excited about it all.

So I built the lightsaber and the ejector with no problems but I did have to be incredibly careful with the glue spots around the lightsaber hilt so they didn't run to places that would be seen. I then did a little weathering on it just to make it a bit more authentic.
File Attachment(s):
R2D2 33.jpg (271kb) downloaded 32 time(s).
R2D2 34.jpg (274kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
lholland
#69 Posted : 17 January 2018 14:18:21

Ok so second leg to create which so far is pretty much the same as the first with more subtle weathering. Its very easy though to get lost in all the excitement and make a mistake knowing what issues are around the corner so I was still very careful and took my time.

Looking at both legs together and with the foot in place on the first I am considering giving a subtle wash of sand colour to my R2 when he is complete.
File Attachment(s):
R2D2 35.jpg (424kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
R2D2 36.jpg (412kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
lholland
#70 Posted : 17 January 2018 14:26:45

And then this arrived!!!!Drool Drool Drool Drool
What a wonderful piece of machined Gorgousness. I started to weather the dome panel for placement and used the tape to fix into position. I then had to just had to play around with adding certain elements to see what the dome will look like with other components but again I was very careful in the process and this thing is beyond amazing, It also fits very snug onto the interior section of the head.

Feeling very excited and nervous now for the next few issues which contain the circuit boards to test he all works (gulp).
File Attachment(s):
R2D2 37.jpg (309kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
Markwarren
#71 Posted : 17 January 2018 16:13:50

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looks excellent Lee, coming on very nicely. The dome looks great fitted and has some weight to it now, cant wait until we start fitting the electrons in there.ThumpUp

Mark
Spudtrooper37
#72 Posted : 17 January 2018 18:00:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Really liking the weathering, coming along nicely
Darren

Have an AWSOME day and may the Force be with you always 😉

Building: Millennium Falcon https://forum.model-spac...sts&t=14381&p=7 - Building: BTTF Delorean - Building: Dom's Dodge Charger
- Building : X-Wing https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=34899
lholland
#73 Posted : 02 March 2018 15:16:19

So I followed the instructions for the electronics and all seems to be working fine but I did have a small problem trying to get plugs out of the sockets. I think I spent a good hour trying not to pull on the wires too much as I did not want to end up breaking them. I then remembered that I had a small pair of tweezer pliers which I then tried and it was like magic. Carefully removed and no damage done. lots of fun testing but also nervous for non working components which I am glad to say did not occur.
lholland attached the following image(s):
R2D2 38.jpg
lholland
#74 Posted : 02 March 2018 15:24:23

More leg parts and more weathering to add detail to this awesome robot and they are more or less complete. Been thinking about adding a little extra weathering with ink and a sponge but I am going to wait until the model is complete to make that decision because I want it all consistent.
R2D2 39.jpg
R2D2 40.jpg
R2D2 41.jpg
lholland
#75 Posted : 02 March 2018 15:32:19

And then onto the dome. I love this and it has some real weight behind it too. Added slight weathering to the panels and will add a little "sponge" weathering to the dome once its complete to make it fit in line with the rest of the model. Thats it now all packed safely away until next month when I can add lots of working components to the
head which I am really looking forward to.

I have added a couple of pics showing roughly how tall he is going to stand and its going to be immense, This has to be my total number 1 model I have ever built.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
R2D2 42.jpg
R2D2 43.jpg
R2D2 44.jpg
Markwarren
#76 Posted : 02 March 2018 19:07:44

Nice work, the dome does have some weight to it now.

Mark
lholland
#77 Posted : 23 April 2018 13:52:52

I have 2 months worth to add up this month so will start with the excitement of adding the lights to the dome. So issue 64 saw the most excitement and I just had to test the lights out after completing the setup. Have been using the silver paint and starship filth to create the subtle weathering as usual and will add an overall sponge wash to the dome when complete again being subtle.

I did have a small challenge with the opening compartment regarding the lightsaber as it kept getting stuck when lifting up but I may have slightly over tightened the screws attaching the panel to the dome so a slight turn to loosen them and all works tickety boo.

Another small challenge I found was adding the little white screws with the allen key provided this was quite tricky but I have a small screwdriver socket set with allen key attachments to make life a lot easier.

My oh my this has got some weight to it, looking forward to adding the last few dome parts in the next few issues aswell as starting the body parts.

Sorry about the picture quality everybody having a house makeover at the mo and have limited space.
R2D2 45.jpg
R2D2 46.jpg
R2D2 47.jpg
R2D2 48.jpg
R2D2 49.jpg
Markwarren
#78 Posted : 23 April 2018 15:13:37

Nice update, coming on and looking great.

Mark
arpurchase
#79 Posted : 23 April 2018 17:21:58

BigGrin Looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

pemberg
#80 Posted : 23 April 2018 20:40:23

The weathering is looking great, very nice work.

Graeme