Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Coser's Temporal Mechanics Course (BTTF Delorean build) Options
tigerace
#41 Posted : 20 March 2017 16:18:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Great to see the pictures of your build CoserBigGrin looking excellent so farBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

birdaj2
#42 Posted : 20 March 2017 16:35:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coser

Hope it all continues well.

Its turning into a great looking build.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Coser
#43 Posted : 20 March 2017 16:55:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Delivery 4 - Full rolling chassis!

Time to get the rear suspension and wheels on this thing - it's looking more like a car with every delivery now!

OK, so two of the issues are the rear wheels. We've already done the front wheels, so I'm going to presume that you know how these go together now. The only point worth mentioning is that they are slightly larger than the front pair. If you need a replacement, make sure you order from the correct issues! The only 'extra I have done at this stage is I have now lightly sanded the treads to knock off the shine of brand new rubber and make the tyres look a little 'used'.

(Not the best picture, but you should get the effect.

So we start with one of the trailing arms. This is a simple connection of two parts with two screws, but do make sure you get them the correct way round.

This has to be the worse bit of the build so far. Take a small arm, and screw it to a small bracket. Due to the fact that I use WD40 as cutting fluid when making the threads, this meant that both parts were slippery, and I ended up not enjoying myself at all - hope the neighbours were out! (And you have to do it all over again for the other side!)

Screw the bracket to the chassis, much easier as the bracket has a peg to keep it in position.

Add the trailing arm to the chassis. Again, both parts need to move so not too tight. At least this one is big enough to hold properly and should move properly even if you do screw it tight to the post.

The post from the bracket now connects to the top of the hub carrier. Once this is done, the rear hub should start to take on the sort of movement you would expect from the suspension.

Turn the unit over, add the hub and shock using a long screw all the way through. Although the instructions tell you to put the spring over the shock in the next step, I found it easier to do it now due to clearances.

Turn it back the right way, add the spring if you haven't already, and secure the top of the shock with a flanged screw.

Make sure you have added the brake calliper, then add the wheel. (3 wheels on our wagon!)

Do everything again for the other side, and hey presto, rolling chassis!

Another warning! At his stage the chassis is weak. If you try and test both sets of suspension at the same time by pressing down on the single piece in the middle YOU WILL BREAK THE CHASSIS! Each 'leg' of the rear of the chassis has a large cut-out section that had pieces pre-attached when it was delivered. The sharp corners of the 'missing' piece will act as stress multipliers and pushing down on the middle will cause cracks at these locations. Test the suspension by pressing down above the axles only. This area will be strengthened with the addition of the floor pan and other parts, but for the moment it is not strong enough - and you DON'T want to have to take all that suspension off to put it on another chassis, that's a lot of work now.

I have not worked on the other parts supplied, I am keeping them in the original packs so I don't lose them before I can attach them to something else.
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
Narayan
#44 Posted : 20 March 2017 17:55:51

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks good seeing the 4 wheels attached to the chassis.

Graham
I was drowning my sorrows. But my sorrows they'd learned to swim.

Spal
#45 Posted : 20 March 2017 20:35:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great update, its coming along well.

Al
Coser
#46 Posted : 29 March 2017 10:14:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Just had to send in my 3rd e-mail to customer services. The promised replacement for issue 1 (Off-colour indicator issue) still has not arrived. Mad

It seems ridiculous that when I managed to damage a part and order a replacement issue from the store, it arrives in 5 working days or less, but a replacement due to a sub-standard part can't get here in over 6 weeks.Confused

Bored with this now. Might just bite the bullet, buy one through the store, and eat the cost. Probably means I'd end up getting two together, but that would be better than getting to a part of the build where I should be adding the rear body, but can't as it's still not correct. And it annoys me that I have had to contact them so many times over such a simple matter. It seems like they consider having two different colour indicators a trivial thing. Well, I don't think so on a model that will cost over £1,100. It should be perfect when it's finished.
Angry
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Tomick
#47 Posted : 29 March 2017 10:27:32

Groups:

Coser wrote:
Just had to send in my 3rd e-mail to customer services. The promised replacement for issue 1 (Off-colour indicator issue) still has not arrived. Mad

It seems ridiculous that when I managed to damage a part and order a replacement issue from the store, it arrives in 5 working days or less, but a replacement due to a sub-standard part can't get here in over 6 weeks.Confused

Bored with this now. Might just bite the bullet, buy one through the store, and eat the cost. Probably means I'd end up getting two together, but that would be better than getting to a part of the build where I should be adding the rear body, but can't as it's still not correct. And it annoys me that I have had to contact them so many times over such a simple matter. It seems like they consider having two different colour indicators a trivial thing. Well, I don't think so on a model that will cost over £1,100. It should be perfect when it's finished.
Angry
Those that bought into the DB5 feared a similar scenario with this latest Eaglemoss release and is why many were not tempted to take the plunge for a second time. Hope you manage to get this resolved without having to throw in the towel Crying
roymattblack
#48 Posted : 29 March 2017 10:34:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I can appreciate your frustration but I think you've been unlucky.

I just checked all my parts (I'm saving them up for a big build in 2 yrs time) and my indicator lenses match ok.
Keep chasing. Hopefully you'll get it sorted.

Roy.
Coser
#49 Posted : 29 March 2017 11:19:56

Tomick wrote:
Those that bought into the DB5 feared a similar scenario with this latest Eaglemoss release and is why many were not tempted to take the plunge for a second time. Hope you manage to get this resolved without having to throw in the towel Crying

Throwing in the towel is not an option for me. I will finish it, it's just whether I ultimately decide to spend the extra money on buying something that should have been a free replacement. They have already acknowledged the fact, and I should not have to pay, buy having the two different colours will bug me stupid if I don't fix it.

I've already had to pay for a replacement front suspension when I over-tightened the screw used as the pivot point for the wheel folding down, and have just got a new chassis as mine split [hence the warning not to do it] so will put up a repair diary as soon as I can stop playing Mass Effect: Andromeda - probably be able to do it this weekend as there is no overtime at work] so I'm not that fussed about paying for it. It is adding insult to injury with the price in the store up to £8.99 + P&P rather than the £1.99 + P&P, but so be it.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
tigerace
#50 Posted : 29 March 2017 12:04:15

Hang in there buddy Cool i think Eaglemoss should do a quality inspection of the parts seems to be alot of gripes at the momentCursing regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Coser
#51 Posted : 12 April 2017 08:50:39

Got the replacement issue 1 last Saturday. It would have been delivered that Friday, but no-one was home, so had to take the card in and collect it on Saturday.

Finally got it opened and worked on last night whilst updating the graphics drivers on my PC and watching "Rogue One" again.

The colours still are not identical, but are orders of magnitude better than they were. I took some pictures, but won't be able to work on getting that update on here until after Easter.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
birdaj2
#52 Posted : 12 April 2017 11:00:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad you managed to get it sorted.

It is really frustrating when things like this happen but i guess things work out that way sometimes.

Fingers crossed for you that the rest of the build goes without issue.

Look forward to seeing your next updates.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Coser
#53 Posted : 18 April 2017 16:38:16

Next 4 issues incoming!

Means I had better be pretty sharp at doing some more work on her, and getting this thread updated before they arrive.

BigGrin
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#54 Posted : 13 June 2017 19:36:00

And that worked well.

Sorry for the delay, guys, lots going on at the moment.

Anyway, here we go again with another update.

Firstly, with the couple of problems I have had.

The lenses are now in again, and here is the difference.

The middle one is the original lens, the right one the replacement.

Then there is the thing I warned about, the chassis break.

It looks worse than it actually is, but I don't work enough with metal to trust a repair if I made one. As soon as I had received the replacement chassis, I swapped them out. This is fairly simple.

Remove the two screws at the top of the rear suspension, the front of the trailing arms, the angle brackets from the chassis, and the top of the engine frame. This should allow the entire rear suspension unit to be lowered away from the old chassis. To place it in the new one, just reverse the procedure and fix the engine frame to the chassis, then the angle brackets, trailing arms, and finally the screws in the top of the rear suspension units. This should leave you with the rear suspension sucessfully transplanted to the intact chassis like this.

The front is harder, there is more that you have to take off. Make sure that you remove the steering rod before you remove the front suspension units from the old chassis, the weight of one of them on the single screw connecting the steering rod to the suspension/wheel could be too much. So the front is more of a reverse build with few short-cuts like there was with the rear.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#55 Posted : 13 June 2017 19:59:11

So, before we start the engine issues, just a couple of things that might interest some of you.

As I am now working on three different partworks, I bought myself this little box for all the screws and things. As the Delorean screws are in packets with designations on them, I have been able to save all my spare screws and keep them sepparated.

And here is a comparison between the wheels of the Delorean, and the wheel from the E-type.

Rear wheel.

Front wheel.

This really brought home to me the differences in size between the Delorean's back and front wheels. The E-type spare wheel is about the same size as the Delorean rear, and noticably bigger than the Delorean front wheel.

Sorry, but that's it for tonight. I'm done in. I'll start on the engine tomorrow.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
spike
#56 Posted : 13 June 2017 22:18:34

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice update Coser its coming along nicely. Hope your having fun building this model. BigGrin

Regards

Duane
Building - Suzuki GSX 1300R, Hummer, Ford Mustang, R2D2 Droid, Delorean.

Finished Builds - Nissan GTR, Millennium Falcon.

Other model kit builds - Tamiya RC Trucks, Tamiya RC cars

Thanks for looking.

Duane
Coser
#57 Posted : 14 June 2017 08:46:18

Thanks Duane. Having fun? Heck yes! So much seems to have turned sour for me this year, but my 4 main projects [3 here and one for the 501st legion] are still giving me all the fun I need. I just love this stuff, the sense of pride in putting these things together. Nothing is going to stop me enjoying my hobbies, I just hate the fact that although I have built the engine up to adding the belts on the front, I haven't posted that progress. I will do over the next few days.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#58 Posted : 14 June 2017 20:06:41

OK, so here we go with the engine.

First, the sets of parts.

Screw the end of the gearbox to this side., then follow with the gearbox oil pan.

Then place the rubber gaiters over the drive shaft ends.

and screw one into the location on each of the gearbox sides.

Then the other. with this complete, you can proceed to join the two halves together.

This completes the gearbox assembly, and leaves me with the thing that has annoyed me most over this build - two holes in the side of the gearbox. I will have to take another look a little later in the build, if it's visible at all I will have to fill the hole and paint the area.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Spal
#59 Posted : 14 June 2017 23:12:08

Good to see you got your replacement parts, like the wheel comparisons BigGrin

Al
Coser
#60 Posted : 10 July 2017 08:48:52

Although I have more pictures to post, I am going to be putting this thread on Hiatus for a while.

Not for any bad reasons, I hasten to add, just that I have bought the decal set and intend to spruce up the engine and Mr Fusion unit. as this may mean removing some of the work I have already done, I have not worked on the last 4 issues and will undoubtedly have to remove some of the stuff already attached.

I will document the process, and maybe some of you will also take this step, from the pictures I've seen it will be well worth it.
Current Builds

Finished Builds