Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Ikran (Banshee) Scratchbuild Options
godan61
#1 Posted : 28 January 2017 20:09:03

Competition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Build of the Year 2017 entry

Ok so after the test build of the Navi I have decided to build a a Ikran or better known as a Banshee from Avatar.
There will be no kit parts at all just wood, milliput and wire.

Size wise it will be about16" long and 22" wingspan, I intend that it be rearing up with its wings out moth open. I not sure yet what the finished piece will include? maybe a viper wolf in a stand off.
I want to put into practice all the new techniques I learnt on the test subject but the real challenge will be the paint job which I want to make colourful..
The key to building this is that the carved body of mdf needs to be proportionally smaller that the finished product.

I will start posting tomorrow on what I have already done, if it is like the NAVI the build should progress quickly once the carving is done so we will see.
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 28 January 2017 20:23:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to this!Drool BigGrin
michu
#3 Posted : 28 January 2017 20:51:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Oh wow, this will be a treat if your Navi is anything to judge by. Subscribed!
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
godan61
#4 Posted : 28 January 2017 21:40:09

Competition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hope I do this justice and its all you expect guys, have to say bit excited.
pemberg
#5 Posted : 28 January 2017 23:32:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sounds great, I will be watching with interest.
Graeme
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 29 January 2017 00:15:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Good luck with your build and will be followingCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

godan61
#7 Posted : 29 January 2017 20:53:48

Ok so this weeks work, single piece of MDF for the neck and head, first sketch out the shape on the board and cut out with a jig saw. About 45 minutes of carving with a chisel and a dremel and then we have the basic head neck. I don't want the body to be in one line so a v cut in the neck allows the head to be pulled to the side, superglue seems to be the best glue for mdf but I tied it off as well.

Agin the carving needs to be disproportionate to allow for the milliput just like a skeleton.
File Attachment(s):
IMG_2431.jpg (259kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
godan61 attached the following image(s):
IMG_2474.jpg
godan61
#8 Posted : 29 January 2017 20:58:12

These shots show the head angle and tied off.
IMG_2478.jpg
IMG_2477.jpg
ian smith
#9 Posted : 30 January 2017 13:26:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Godan.
Great start to your build. will be watching with great interest.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
godan61
#10 Posted : 01 February 2017 22:20:53

So the lesson I learnt from my test project and super fine milliput, don't try a achieve the finished result. Sculpt it let it harden with imperfections then use emery clothe to sand it into shape and then wet and dry to finish off smooth.
Issues to remember, you can fill it and don't sand all the detail out as you want some definition.
started to shape the head and add broad detail.
Second thing is patience, do it in stages and let it cure so you have a solid base and also pre create things such as claws and teeth so you can then add them.

This shows the start of the head.
IMG_2483.jpg
IMG_2480.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg
Gandale
#11 Posted : 01 February 2017 22:52:33

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Good luck with this, it has the potential to be something truly special....Cool Cool... Going to love seeing your skills put to work in creating this one and perhaps learn a few things too..... Very well done.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Spal
#12 Posted : 01 February 2017 23:47:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start on this Cool looking forward to following your progress.

Al
davetwin
#13 Posted : 02 February 2017 15:07:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice work Drool It's nice to see you sharing the steps in the sculpting, really looking forward to your next update Cool
michu
#14 Posted : 02 February 2017 15:24:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Keep up the good work, it's very interesting to see the process.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Nemesis
#15 Posted : 02 February 2017 22:03:04

This is so interesting to watch. brilliant work and really looking forward to your next update.BigGrin
godan61
#16 Posted : 02 February 2017 23:36:22

Ok so a few hours work over the last few nights, as stated before the teeth are made and left to go off prior, thes are then pushed into the soft jaw and gum line. Again there is a lot of fine finishing work to do on this and this is the rough sculpt phase but you can see the basic features.
Eyes with more detail to come and the mouth but a lot of fine cleaning.
File Attachment(s):
IMG_2484.jpg (268kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
fullsizeoutput_55f.jpg
fullsizeoutput_55e.jpg
godan61
#17 Posted : 05 February 2017 18:32:25

Ok so new thing to think of, bigger the figure the more milliput the more there is the less time there is to work with it. so covered the neck and body again a rough sculpt to finish later.
I have all used bonsai wire to put through as the legs and glue them in place ready to form up later.
IMG_2500.jpg
IMG_2502.jpg
IMG_2505.jpg
ian smith
#18 Posted : 06 February 2017 12:59:10

Hi Godan.
Looking really good. look forward to seeing the next update.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Spal
#19 Posted : 06 February 2017 16:12:20

This looks better everytime i see it Cool

Al
Gandale
#20 Posted : 06 February 2017 20:41:10

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is looking fab, really fine work going on...Cool

Regards

Alan