Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Millennium Falcon Customised Build page 5 Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 04 February 2017 20:26:55

Groups:

Continued.....Drool
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 04 February 2017 20:39:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Next, I am building the gunners section. I have started with the gunner chair. I painted the parts with Humbrol Metalcote steel, polished and then painted the seats and applied some etched brass grills to give it a little more detail.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 267.jpg
Photo 268.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 05 February 2017 19:01:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Pictures 1,2,3 &4. For the gunner’s room, I decided to try and give it a little more depth. I quite like to keep the adhesive panel stickers, but noticed on some of the reference picture, some of the panels stuck out more than others. Using some plastic card, I cut some pieces out and put in some raised areas. I then cut the appropriate sticker and attached it.

Picture 5. I then added some etched brass grating to the underside of the room. As you can also see in the picture, I have made a top piece to be added, as I didn’t like the seam where the two halves attach.

Pictures 6,7,8,9 & 10. I then sprayed the two halves with primer and Metalcote paint. Once dry I then dis a test fit.

Next, I will be adding some pipework, again to give it more depth, a little painting and then finally adding some red and amber lighting to the top side sections.
Photo 269.jpg
Photo 270.jpg
Photo 271.jpg
Photo 271a.jpg
Photo 272.jpg
Photo 274.jpg
Photo 275.jpg
Photo 276.jpg
Photo 277.jpg
Photo 278.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 08 February 2017 00:27:26

A little more progress. Pictures 1 & 2. I have drilled some holes into the top panels to both sides and fitted some fiber optic cables.
I used a 3mm white LED and coloured some of the optical cables with red and yellow translucent paint. As you see here I tested the lighting before I pieced the two halves together.

Pictures 3 & 4. Here is the piece with the supplied light in place. I painted the front part of the light black, so the light illuminates the rear of the room only and allows the fiber optics to be seen better.

Pictures 5 & 6. I then place the gunners chair into place to finish off.

Picture 7. This picture shows the gunners room with the wiring loom and fibers in place.

Pictures 8,9 & 10. And the final pictures of the finished gunner’s area with the lighting switched on. The pictures don’t really show the effect very well as I had a light shining on it whilst taking the photos.
Photo 279.jpg
Photo 280.jpg
Photo 282.jpg
Photo 284.jpg
Photo 286.jpg
Photo 287.jpg
Photo 288.jpg
Photo 289.jpg
Photo 290.jpg
Photo 291.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 11 February 2017 16:57:19

Pictures 1 & 2. I have now fitted and glued the gunner room to the internal turret section as shown.

I then test fit it into the hull with the internal sections in place, and everything fits as planned. Phew!!!
Whilst in place, I fitted the turret over the top and again fitted perfectly and snug. I now need to fit the other gunner room and glue it to the fixed turret to the lower section.

Pictures 3,4 & 5. Here are the pictures of the part in place and lit.
Photo 292.jpg
Photo 293.jpg
Photo 294.jpg
Photo 295.jpg
Photo 296.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 21 February 2017 22:33:08

A lot going on with the Falcon build. I’m painting the side panels to the mandibles at the moment, trying to finish off the second one before finishing the internal parts to fit the two halves together.
Whilst waiting for various painted parts to dry, I have started with preparing the sub light engine I have planned.
Picture 1. I have over the last few weeks deliberated on how I wanted it to look. As you can see in the illustration below, from a book I have, I wanted the rear section to have a little more depth and realism than the original prop model.

Pictures 2 & 3. I spent several days working out how I was going to make it look how I wanted it. Here, are some drawing and template I did as an experiment.

Pictures 4,5 & 6. I then made the template using plastic card and test fitted it to see how it looked, along with the supplied part. I was very happy with how it looked and decided to continue with the sub light engine.

Pictures 7,8 & 9. For the sub light engine, I bought some plastic rectangular tubing and cutting them in 5mm segments and placing them on a 1mm cut plastic card. Gluing two lots of the tubing segments above each other and three lots of 1mm plastic card, the total height will be 22mm. Using this method means I don’t have to drill any holes and it will look very similar to the illustration in the first picture.

I’ll show more when finished this part, but I hope it gives some idea of how it will look.
Photo 297a.jpg
Photo 297b.jpg
Photo 297c.jpg
Photo 297d.jpg
Photo 298.jpg
Photo 299.jpg
Photo 300.jpg
Photo 301.jpg
Photo 302.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 24 February 2017 00:43:53

Here are a couple of pictures of the first half of the finished section, minus sanding and painting. I am quite pleased with the result, but it was very tedious work, and took some time. But worth it.
Now to complete the other half, then I will test fit before painting. I will then replace the supplied part with an open grill. I will also be using some blue acetate between the LED lighting and the sub light engine parts shown.

More to come.

Photo 306.jpg
Photo 305.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 24 February 2017 19:42:48

Pictures 1 & 2. A little more done today. I have cut the right-hand side base for the sub light engine. The second picture is the test fit.

Pictures 3 & 4. I then sprayed it, first with primer and then a metallic silver paint to give it a reflective surface creating more light for the LED lighting. The photo doesn’t really show the silver very well, because of its reflectiveness, still looks like the white unpainted plastic.

Although I still have to make the right-hand side sub light engine, I have painted the left hand side with metalcote steel paint and then test fitted it. The last few pictures are to give some idea of how it’s all coming together.
Pictures 5,6,7 & 8. I have also cut the supplied lighting sections to accommodate two full lengths of strip lighting.
Photo 307.jpg
Photo 308.jpg
Photo 308a.jpg
Photo 308b.jpg
Photo 309.jpg
Photo 310.jpg
Photo 313.jpg
Photo 314.jpg
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 26 February 2017 21:01:23

Pictire 1. I have finish the right-hand sub light engine and attached it to the one I made earlier, so it is now one piece. I have also attached the supplied light housings together, that way it will be easier to attach the strip LED lighting. You can also see in the picture below, that I have wired two strips of LED lights, these have been made at a length to fit across both housings.

Pictures 2 & 3. I then stuck some aluminium foil along the front of the housing before sticking the strip lighting in place. Once everything is fitted, I then screwed the top and bottom housings together.

Pictures 4 & 5. Next, I fit the relevant pieces together and then attach a 9v battery to test the lighting.

Pictures 6 & 7. I then defused the lighting effect, so you could not see the LED bulbs. As you can see, it defuses the light to give a more even effect. It also makes it brighter.

Picture 8. I then sprayed the grill with primer and metalcote paint, before I test fit it all in the Falcon housing.

Pictures 9,10,11 &12. Here it is fitted into the Falcon. I have not screwed it in place as I still have some final detail to do and then some weathering to finish it off.

Pictures 13,14,15 & 16. The final pictures show it with the top panel in place.
Photo 315.jpg
Photo 316.jpg
Photo 317.jpg
Photo 318.jpg
Photo 319.jpg
Photo 319a.jpg
Photo 320.jpg
Photo 322.jpg
Photo 323.jpg
Photo 324.jpg
Photo 325.jpg
Photo 326.jpg
Photo 327.jpg
Photo 328.jpg
Photo 329.jpg
Photo 330.jpg
Markwarren
#10 Posted : 06 March 2017 23:30:13

Pictures 1 & 2. Whilst I am doing a lot of painting on the hull sections, I did a little update on the rear sub light engines. The top part of the lighting area has a gap, and causes some light bleed. So, I decided to close the gap with a strip of silver painted plastic card to reflect the light towards the rear.

Pictures 3 & 4. I then painted it with reflective silver paint and glued it into position on the supplied parts. As you can see in the pictures below, I will also be making some side panel pieces.

Pictures 5 & 6. I then placed the unit inside the Falcon. As you can see, it closes the gap above.

Pictures 7 & 8. These pictures show it with everything in places. The last two are with the lights on.

Here is a video to give more of an idea of how it looks with the lighting on.

https://youtu.be/wxcV1_iOzAM
Photo 331.jpg
Photo 332.jpg
Photo 333.jpg
Photo 334.jpg
Photo 335.jpg
Photo 336.jpg
Photo 337.jpg
Photo 338.jpg