Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Question about rear coil springs - Issue 24 Options
StevieDisco
#1 Posted : 10 February 2017 15:04:46

Groups: Registered

Hello all. Steve from Florida here. I've received my first two 4-issue sets and I must say that I am quite impressed so far. I am currently in the "Research & Development" phase of my build so I thought it would be better to post here for now. I'm closely watching other modelers builds as I try and determine the direction I will take with mine.

I have a question about issue 24 regarding the coil springs. Are these depicting something on the original GT500? I have not been able to find an example of coil springs being used on the original 1967 Shelby yet.

Thanks in advance.
"A picture is worth a thousand words but a model is worth a thousand pictures" - Harley J. Earl
70 Coupe
#2 Posted : 10 February 2017 16:33:14

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Steve, greetings from a cold and snowy South Yorkshire in the UK.
I must admit I wondered the same thing, very unusual to see leaf and coil springs together, my 1:1 70 coupe only has leaf springs......
I've had a good snoop round on the UK Mustang owners club forum (I'm a member) and can't see anything regarding the use of both types of spring.
Not a lot of help, Sorry.Blushing
Mustang
#3 Posted : 10 February 2017 17:54:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I believe you'll find the springs are only there to act as suspension for the model due to the weight.

The real car had leaf springs and dampeners fitted.

I was going to remove the springs from mine and make leaf springs, but the weight of the finished model might be to much so I desided to leave the coils in place.
My Favourite Building:- 1919 https://forum.model-spac...=339517&#post339517 -

Current Build - 0-6-0 https://forum.deagostini...=351803&#post351803 Enterprise D - https://forum.deagostini...=posts&t=35768&

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
Dry dock no room to display:-. Bismarck, U96.
To build:-
. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
StevieDisco
#4 Posted : 10 February 2017 21:49:35

Thanks guys. I had a feeling they were there to give the rear end the effect of working suspension as the kit shocks don't have springs and that is fine with me.

This build will be a whole new experience for me and I am very much looking forward to it. I really like the way the individual assemblies interact so precisely with each other.

I don't plan on building the Shelby as delivered. More likely it will be patterned after a standard fastback that has been upgraded with Shelby or other after-market parts. That will allow me to make a few modifications without upsetting the Shelby legacy. I also want to add extra detail when there is an opportunity, like engine wiring, brakes and maybe tires and wheels. I have not ruled out using 3-D printed parts or kit-bashing parts from other 1:8 scale models.

Thanks again for the information.
"A picture is worth a thousand words but a model is worth a thousand pictures" - Harley J. Earl
70 Coupe
#5 Posted : 12 February 2017 12:19:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Mustang wrote:
I believe you'll find the springs are only there to act as suspension for the model due to the weight.

The real car had leaf springs and dampeners fitted.

I was going to remove the springs from mine and make leaf springs, but the weight of the finished model might be to much so I desided to leave the coils in place.

That makes perfect sense now....... Thank youBigGrin
StevieDisco
#6 Posted : 13 February 2017 16:16:14

I was digging through my parts box and found a set of Goodyear Eagle VR-50 tires from an old Monogram 1985 Corvette kit. These tires are roughly the same diameter as the tires included in the Shelby kit. A little online research found this to be accurate as the Shelby Speedway 350 tires had an overall diameter of 26.73" compared to the VR-50's 26". The major difference is the width as the Corvette tires are about 1.5-2" wider.

By the way, the VR-50 tires were known as "Gatorbacks" because the tread pattern resembled an alligator's back. The tires were patterned after a F1 rain tire and were rated at 160mph.

I think I can make them work on the Shelby by adjusting the offset slightly to allow enough clearance for the wheel openings in the fenders. I really think that wider tires will add to the overall look that I am trying to achieve.

I also want to use the center 5-spoke portion of my wheels from the Revell Big Tub model. The plan would be to scratchbuild the center part of the wheels from 2" diameter PVC pipe with a slightly larger diameter flange on each side made from styrene sheet that will match the diameter of the wheel openings on the tires. The 5-spoke center section will then attach to the inside of the wheel with the position based on the offset required for proper clearance. The wheels will be chrome although I am undecided on the spoke sections as their generic look will look nice as fully chrome or in graphite torq-thrust style.

I plan on keeping the tires as is with no raised white lettering.

I want to make my own hubs so the wheels will mount using scale lug nuts so disc brakes will also be in store. That way they can be removed to show the details that would otherwise be hidden.

Please let me know your thoughts.

StevieDisco
#7 Posted : 15 February 2017 17:50:52

One thing I forgot to mention is that the scaling on the Shelby kit appears to be spot on. One example is these 3-D printed Carter AFB (Aluminum Four Barrel) 600 cfm carbs I got from TDR Innovations who do their printing through Shapeways. To the naked eye they appear to be Holleys. My plane is to make the air cleaner removable to show fuel lines, linkage, etc.

StevieDisco attached the following image(s):
Carter AFB carbs.jpg
davetwin
#8 Posted : 15 February 2017 22:27:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's an interesting you have planned, I'm looking forward to seeing how you implement it.

Will look pretty cool Cool
StevieDisco
#9 Posted : 25 February 2017 15:00:53

Here is a picture of my prototype mag wheel in plastic along with a photo of the American Racing Torq Thrust rim I am attempting to replicate. Also a picture of the Goodyear "Gatorback" next to the Shelby Speedway 350.
Gatorback vs Speedway 350.jpg
American Racing Torq Thrust wheel - plastic.jpg
American Racing Torq Thrust wheel - polished.jpg
StevieDisco
#10 Posted : 03 March 2017 21:04:44

Here is the 4-piston modern disc brake kit I got from TDR Innvovations. Pretty cool. Even comes with brake pads. I discovered that the lug bolt pattern on the hubs is different from my wheels so I will have to scratchbuild replacements. If I wasn't attaching the wheels with scale lug nuts this would be no big deal. I will also have to figure out a way for the entire assembly to attach to the Shelby steering knuckles (and still operate correctly). Lastly, I will need to make a bracket to mount the caliper. I bought an extra issue of one of the knuckles off eBay for my R & D. I've already drilled out where the control arms and tie rod attach as these will attach with scale bolts.

This should keep me busy this weekend.
TDR Disc Brake Kit.jpg
StevieDisco
#11 Posted : 05 March 2017 01:13:02

I pulled an all-nighter in the shop last night and made a lot of progress on the front brakes. I came up with a 2-part hub made with telescoping Evergreen plastic tubes that seems to work fine. The two halves sandwich around the drilled rotors which was necessary because once the brake caliper is installed it is difficult to get a complete brake/hub assembly into position. I also came up with caliper brackets made from Evergreen plastic sheet.

It was a good day (weather) in Florida so I was able to primer and put base base coats on most parts. I hope to be able to post photos of the completed front disc brake assembly in the next couple of days. The caliper requires the most attention as I applied a base coat of silver and then will mask off the part where it attaches to the caliper mount bracket on the steering knuckle and also a small stripe down the top of the caliper which will simulate where the caliper halves come together as the TDR caliper is a one-piece assembly. I will then paint the calipers red. I also need to add brake bleeders (from RB Motion), a brake fitting, a decal from the parts box and other minor details.

My only photo for tonight is of the steering knuckle. After using it for mocking up my caliper mounting brackets which required sanding and filing while in place I decided to just take some steel wool to it and the results were surprising as it polished up nicely. I shot a few coats of clear over the bare metal and this is the result. I still may paint the knuckles in the future but for now they remain polished.
Steering knuckle polished.jpg
StevieDisco
#12 Posted : 10 March 2017 16:15:00

It's taken me awhile but I finally came up with a modification to the TDR disc brake that worked with the Shelby steering knuckle and still retained the proper offset. These photos show how they go together. The hubs are made from multiple pieces of Evergreen plastic sheet, .040" & .030". I also used some 3/4" plastic tube from Plastruct. After confirming the proper size, I printed out the 5-lug pattern on adhesive back label paper which I stuck to the plastic and used as a template for drilling the lug holes. The lug bolts themselves are 0-80 x 3/8" silver plated from Reactive Metals, a jewelry craft supplier. The hub assembly mounts by by "sandwiching" the rotor in the middle. Not shown is a smaller tube that goes through the hub and will slide over the shaft on the steering knuckle. Probably will be greased internally with Vaseline. Photo of the other brake parts shows the calipers which have been painted and slightly detailed and the rotors, painted Tamiya Titanium Silver and the brake pads. The 2-piece caliper bracket - in the foreground - mounts to the steering knuckle with 00-90 nuts, bolts & washers (brass, black oxide and silver plated). The bracket was made from .040" Evergreen sheet. This weekend I hope to paint the hub assemblies matt black and finish detailing the calipers by adding the brake bleeders, decals and other details.
Shelby hub parts.jpg
Shelby hub assembled.jpg
Shelby hub and Rotor.jpg
Shelby brake parts.jpg
Caliper bracket mounted.jpg
Steering knuckle.jpg
davetwin
#13 Posted : 11 March 2017 14:14:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That quite a modification, the end result is simply stunning Drool

Can't wait to see what you come up with next Cool
StevieDisco
#14 Posted : 12 March 2017 08:27:26

Thanks Dave. I took a break today and made something fun. How about a 1:8 scale 1967 Shelby GT500 owner's manual (complete).
SHELBY MANUAL.jpg
SHELBY MANUAL-2.jpg
SHELBY MANUAL-3.jpg
birdaj2
#15 Posted : 12 March 2017 20:04:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now that really is a nice touch and will add a little more detail to an already fantastic looking mode.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
StevieDisco
#16 Posted : 30 March 2017 00:25:00

This will probably be my last post over here as it has been suggested that I post under the member's build diary forum - even though I haven't technically started building. I'm still trying things out and getting ideas from other members' builds before I actually start.

Having said that, I hadn't seen anyone strip the valve covers down to bare metal and polish them yet so I thought I'd give it a try. After removing the bolt head detail and drilling holes for new bolts I used paint remover to strip off the paint and then sanded the surfaces until they were scratch free and finished with very fine steel wool.

I don't think the pictures do it justice as the lighting seems to be off but I thought it was a nice effect. I like using bare metal when applicable as I feel that the naked eye tends to recognize real metal and thus adds to the overall realism.
VALVE COVER-1.jpg
VALVE COVER-2.jpg
VALVE COVER-3.jpg
VALVE COVER-4.jpg
VALVE COVER-5.jpg
roymattblack
#17 Posted : 30 March 2017 08:10:37

Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Now that does look really good.
You've given me an idea that I'll definitely use on mine when the time comes.

Roy.
Tomick
#18 Posted : 30 March 2017 08:42:23

Groups:

StevieDisco wrote:
This will probably be my last post over here as it has been suggested that I post under the member's build diary forum - even though I haven't technically started building. I'm still trying things out and getting ideas from other members' builds before I actually start.
Your title for this topic is "Question about rear coil springs - Issue 24" - in effect you've hijacked the topic with items that have nothing to do with the topic title and will be lost in search should anyone be interested in Mustang upgrades, hence my suggestion to start a new discussion topic, titled for example "my Shelby Mustang upgrades"

Stunning work on the valve covers by the way Cool
StevieDisco
#19 Posted : 30 March 2017 14:46:00

I apologize for "hijacking" a topic that morphed into something other than my initial intent, and I as a beginner I was unaware that by continuing to post replies here would cause the difficulties to others that you brought up. I appreciate your suggestion and should I decide to start any new topics I will be much more careful and considerate of others.