Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Tony's E-Type Build Diary Options
birdaj2
#1 Posted : 13 February 2017 19:18:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

having resurrected my E type subscription this will be the site for my build diary.

Have the book that Tomick mentioned is a good reference source hopefully tomorrow so my build maybe out of the box or possible with some changes.

At the moment i do have some thoughts on a body colour change but far to early to be making any firm decisions at this stage.

For everyone else subscribing to this one I hope your excitement is as great as mine BigGrin and wish you all happy builds.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 13 February 2017 20:57:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Tony, BigGrin

My fingers are itching just as much as yours, I bet.Laugh

Look forward to see your build start.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

roymattblack
#3 Posted : 16 February 2017 19:59:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I'll be watching, with itchy fingers to start on mine but I really want to collect all the bits first...
Also not sure about the colour yet...
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 16 February 2017 22:00:09

roymattblack wrote:
I'll be watching, with itchy fingers to start on mine but I really want to collect all the bits first...
Also not sure about the colour yet...

I don't have the "mechanical" skills to do lots of changes but paint is something i can do quite happily so that may well be my big change.

So looking forward to seeing what changes they have made as well.

I could not run to the premier edition with the dispkay case so when i get to the end i will be searching around for something suitable but that is a way off as yet BigGrin

Bring it on Drool
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
davetwin
#5 Posted : 16 February 2017 22:12:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Will look forward to seeing your build Tony

If you're thinking of repainting it then have you decided on a colour yet?
birdaj2
#6 Posted : 17 February 2017 19:14:42

davetwin wrote:
Will look forward to seeing your build Tony

If you're thinking of repainting it then have you decided on a colour yet?

Still waiting for the book to arrive that i ordered but at the moment something along a cream colour appeals but need to make sure it matches up with the interior spec of the model. BigGrin
Happy Modelling

stevegbr
#7 Posted : 17 February 2017 19:18:56

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

looking forward to your build, will be following with interest. BigGrin
RM1
#8 Posted : 18 February 2017 06:46:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'll be following this one. Can't wait to see how this classic takes shape.
Malc.
birdaj2
#9 Posted : 19 February 2017 17:41:20

Like many others I am very excited by this one.

I have wanted to make a large scale car model for sometime now and it is an investment in time and money so it really needs to be something that captures the imagination.

There had been talk a year or so back of an early Mini and that would have been good but sadly never took off.

When this one came along it ticked all of the boxes for me so that is the one I have gone with.

I had had the trial editions and was just so taken with the wire wheels that are "made of wire". I bet they will look fantastic.

This week has gone quick but that wait to the first parts being sent seems to be dragging BigGrin
Happy Modelling

roymattblack
#10 Posted : 01 March 2017 16:23:27

Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Well, it looks as if the Mini is back again Tony.

However, I'm really torn with the E Type...
I've subscribed and I'm eagerly awaiting the first package but with these partworks, I always save everything up until it's complete and then start the build.
I'm really tempted to get on with this one week-by-week but I'm a bit worried that 20 -30 mins a week on each pack (some will be more, some a lot less) it might diminish the experience a bit.
I really like to get stuck in to a model and spend hours at a time on it.
Short hits once a week... not sure.
I am tempted though.

Roy.
Spal
#11 Posted : 01 March 2017 16:47:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

roymattblack wrote:

I've subscribed and I'm eagerly awaiting the first package but with these partworks, I always save everything up until it's complete and then start the build.
I'm really tempted to get on with this one week-by-week but I'm a bit worried that 20 -30 mins a week on each pack (some will be more, some a lot less) it might diminish the experience a bit.
I am tempted though.

Roy.

I have a solution to your problem Roy BigGrin buy 2 and build one while you store the other parts until the end LOL

Al
roymattblack
#12 Posted : 01 March 2017 16:54:08

I had a feeling someone might say that...
I wish.Blushing
birdaj2
#13 Posted : 01 March 2017 19:44:01

roymattblack wrote:

I am tempted though.

Roy.

Well i am going to stick with the e-type. It would be nice to go for more but i also need to eat and feed the ever growing number of stray cats so have to watch the pennies. BigGrin

I do appreciate that some efitions will be quick to fit together but for me that is one of the models attractions as time is always an issue for me.

Its countdown time now as we are now in March BigGrin
Happy Modelling

roymattblack
#14 Posted : 01 March 2017 19:50:53

I've got it signed up and counting down to the 15th (ish)
...along with the Shelby and the BTTF DeLorean. HELP!!!
Half the problem is finding space to store the mahoosive boxes needed to keep the parts.

I only hope TB2 isn't on the cards before the end of this year.Scared
Narayan
#15 Posted : 01 March 2017 19:52:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

birdaj2 wrote:
At the moment i do have some thoughts on a body colour change but far to early to be making any firm decisions at this stage.

I'd be interested to hear how you might go about this. I presume you would strip the green paint off, prime the apply a new colour? But how would you accomplish this?

I have subscribed to this model and would like to build it in red.

Graham
I was drowning my sorrows. But my sorrows they'd learned to swim.

birdaj2
#16 Posted : 01 March 2017 20:04:18

Narayan wrote:
birdaj2 wrote:

I'd be interested to hear how you might go about this. I presume you would strip the green paint off, prime the apply a new colour? But how would you accomplish this?

I have subscribed to this model and would like to build it in red.

Graham

Graham

I have not made any firm decisions as yet but having received the test parts its something i will look at when i have time.

A paint stripper would be the first stage. Modelstrip is something you can use on plastic and works on enamel paints well enough.

Primer and top coat then possible something from the zero paints range or even something from halfords range might be available.
Happy Modelling

AlecK
#17 Posted : 05 March 2017 00:08:10

There's a lot of body colours that don't match the tan interior. I'll probably stick with BRG although the dark green looks nice too. Too much effort changing the leather, door card s etc etc for me to match my colour of choice - probably a red.
Happy modelling

Alec
Geoff44
#18 Posted : 19 March 2017 00:46:27

Looking forward to your build Tony.

Aleck White would be a good colour choice to go with the tan interior. It's a pity we couldn't have had a choice of say four different colours. For example, BRG Red, White & Silver, which would all look ok with Tan.
BUILDING - HONDA CB750 - HAYNES V8 VISIBLE ENGINE

NEXT BUILD - JAGUAR E-TYPE

GEOFF
MFG
#19 Posted : 19 March 2017 02:10:05

Hi,

I'm looking forward to watching your build progress Tony,

I had a crazy thought of changing the colour but looking at some youtube clips on some ways of doing this - I'm not even going to attempt it - I'll leave that to expertise of you guys and stick with the supplied colour scheme BigGrin

May.
birdaj2
#20 Posted : 19 March 2017 14:59:11

SUNDAY 19th March 2017 – BUILD THE JAGUAR E TYPE

Well ever since the test launch of this model I have been itching to make a start on such a fantastic looking model.

While I did subscribe to the full build I have an awful feeling that something may have gone wrong because I have received no email/letter confirmation and neither do I see a new account number in the online subscription pages.

Nothing much I can do about that until tomorrow.

At the weekend I purchased Issue 1 from Asda and as I already have the test issues I will press on with Issue 2 and should that need correcting once I have my subscription sorted out then I will do so at that time.

PICTURE 1 & 2

This is the packaging used by Deagostini for Issue 1 that has been available in shops and newsagents here in the UK. I must admit I thought the packaging very well thought out with the magazines and inserts sitting inside a pocket on the inside left of the pack and the first model parts in a box on the left.

Certainly looks a nicer presentation to the “metre” wide cardboard backer with magazine and parts all stuck to the front that tends to be the norm. The point being this Jaguar packing is a much more transportable when you have to get from shop to home on the bus.

So on with the build:

ISSUE 1 – Parts Included

1-1 Centre Panel Assembly, for Bonnet
1-2 Motif Bar in Air Intake Aperture
1-3 Motif (Jaguar ‘growler’ Badge)
1-4 Retaining screw (plus spare)
1-5 Left Hand Hub Cap
1-6 PLUS, Model Making Screwdriver

PICTURE 3

Here we have the build instruction pages from issue 1.

PICTURE 4

Struggled to get a good picture of the bonnet but if anything it goes to show just what a shiny finish has been put on this part.

PICTURE 5

Here we can see the rest pf the parts supplied with Issue 1.
Not sure if anyone has noticed but the Hub Cap has a magnetic back to it.

PICTURES 6

The motif badge has an index tab moulded in so that you can only fit this one way (the correct way) into the Motif Bar.
You need just one of the 2 screws from the bag supplied so make sure to store the spare safe and sound.

PICTURE 7

And once the motif is screwed into place this is what the motif bar now looks like.
Store all of these parts until needed again. Luckily all of these parts fit back into their plastic tray so that is a s good as anything to provide safe storage for now.

HOT TIP OF THE WEEK

These tips will drastically reduce over the weeks as we progress but for now here are a couple of things to consider.

When inserting the screws into the plastic parts remember that the screw is cutting its own thread into the plastic so rather than apply too much force and potentially split the plastic part I would suggest you insert the screw by using a ¾ clockwise and ¼ anticlockwise turn on the screwdriver.

This will ensure that the screw does not bind and unnecessary force is not required.

Also worth mentioning is that when placing these screws in place do not overtighten or you are likely to strip out the threads in the plastic part preventing the screw from gripping. It’s best to avoid this as the only remedy would be part replacements or the use of adhesive to fit the screw in place and both of these options are best avoided.

How Many Hours Does It Take to Build the Model?

Issue 1: 1 Minute

Running Total: 1 Minute

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
Picture 1.JPG
Picture 2.JPG
Picture 3.JPG
Picture 4.JPG
Picture 5.JPG
Picture 6.JPG
Picture 7.JPG
Happy Modelling