Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <1234>»
Tony's E-Type Build Diary Options
Geoff44
#21 Posted : 19 March 2017 15:36:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Nice introduction Tony.
Good tips too, for those who are new to these kind of builds. It is so very easy to over tighten these small screws and strip the threads.
May I add another tip to your list.
There are many different sized spare screws that will come with various parts as the build progresses and it is wise to have some small jars or pots with lids, labeled with each screws size or part number, so that you don't get them mixed up.
BUILDING - HONDA CB750 - HAYNES V8 VISIBLE ENGINE

NEXT BUILD - JAGUAR E-TYPE

GEOFF
birdaj2
#22 Posted : 19 March 2017 16:00:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

SUNDAY 19th March 2017 – BUILD THE JAGUAR E TYPE

At this point I am going to put together the parts from Issue 2. It should be noted that these parts are from the TEST issues from last year so once I get the parts against my new subscription I will not know if any of these parts have altered. If they are then the new subscription parts will be substituted.

So on with the build:

ISSUE 2 – Parts Included

2-1 Leather Seat Cushion
2-2 Cylinder Head
2-3 Inlet Camshaft
2-4 Exhaust Camshaft
2-5 Inlet Cam Cover
2-6 Exhaust Cam Cover
2-7 Oil Cap
2-8 Retaining Screw (plus spare)

Part 2-1 is not used until a later stage, so keep it safely until then

PICTURE 1

Here we have the build instruction pages from issue 2.

PICTURE 2

This picture shows each of the component parts we receive with Issue 2 (again this is from the TEST so there may be some changes with the full subscription Issue 2 Parts)

PICTURE 3

The Oil Cap has an index tab moulded in so that you can only fit this one way (the correct way) into the Exhaust Cam Cover.
You need just one of the 2 screws from the bag supplied so make sure to store the spare safe and sound.

PICTURE 4

And once the Oil Cap is screwed into place this is what the Exhaust Cam Cover now looks like.

PICTURE 5

We now fit the Inlet Camshaft into the Cylinder Head. These parts are “handed” and will only fit one way. The magazine explains to look for the two pips on top of the camshaft top as indicated by the white arrows in this picture.

PICTURE 6

The Exhaust Camshaft and Inlet Camshaft are press fitted with 3 pegs on the camshaft into the matching 3 holes in the Cylinder head.
Make sure you press these into place well.

PROCEED WITH CARE:

When pressing these parts into place make sure you apply pressure directly above the pip on the camshaft rather than between the fixing points as there is a chance of snapping the part if you are not careful.

PICTURE 7

We now press fit into place the Inlet Cam Cover and Exhaust Cam Cover on top of the cam shafts previously pressed into place.

And this is what the completed build of these parts now look like.

PICTURE 8

We now need to put the assembled parts away until needed again.

In this case the Cylinder Head with associated cam parts just about fits back into the packing it arrived with so store it away safely until required again.

HOT TIP OF THE WEEK

These tips will drastically reduce over the weeks as we progress but for now here are a couple of things to consider.

I noticed that the paint finish on the cam covers is a lovely brushed silver finish. Now what we do not want to be doing is damaging this finish as it’s going to be very visible on the finished model when you look under the bonnet (hood).

Therefore, I would suggest to prevent marks on these parts (and subsequent parts with the same finish) you at least ensure your hands are grease free. Preferable a pair of thin latex/non latex decorator’s gloves (available from the likes of Wilco, B&Q and a whole host of other shops) will keep the parts clean.

Any undue “polishing” of these parts will mar the finish at the least and remove the finish at the worst so be very careful when handling these parts.

Over the coming weeks you will end up with lots of spare screws (I know from the D-51 build) so a suitable storage box would be best considered.

I would suggest something used for storing beads and while I do not recommend a product or supplier have a look on Ebay using the search "BEAD STOARGE" and you can see the type of boxes that are available and in most cases very cheaply.

How Many Hours Does It Take to Build the Model?

Issue 2: 3 Minutes

Running Total: 4 Minutes

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
Picture 1.JPG
Picture 2.JPG
Picture 3.JPG
Picture 4.JPG
Picture 5.JPG
Picture 6.JPG
Picture 7.JPG
Picture 8.JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#23 Posted : 19 March 2017 16:10:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Geoff44 wrote:
Nice introduction Tony.
Good tips too, for those who are new to these kind of builds. It is so very easy to over tighten these small screws and strip the threads.
May I add another tip to your list.
There are many different sized spare screws that will come with various parts as the build progresses and it is wise to have some small jars or pots with lids, labeled with each screws size or part number, so that you don't get them mixed up.

Geoff

Many thanks for looking in.

Good point with the screws and I have referenced that under my Issue 2 build update.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
arpurchase
#24 Posted : 19 March 2017 17:17:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice startCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#25 Posted : 19 March 2017 18:01:33

Andy

Many thanks.

Just could not hold off any longer BigGrin
Happy Modelling

Spal
#26 Posted : 19 March 2017 19:27:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Tony Cool

Al
Geoff44
#27 Posted : 19 March 2017 19:41:57

You just can't help Drool ing over these photos Tony. Those camshaft covers really do look the business. Drool Drool Drool

GEOFF
birdaj2
#28 Posted : 19 March 2017 19:50:14

Al/Geoff

Many thanks for the kind comments.

I am just so pleased that this kit is available as I have wanted for so long to do a large scale car kit and while there are some really nice ones available they did not quite catch my imagination.

This one did. Need to get my full subscription sorted tomorrow and then all will be well.

If they have not processed my subscription then I may well upgrade to the premium edition because I think this model deserves a case and while the build completion is still a couple of years away who knows what the money/job situation will be then. So probable best to pay the slight extra per copy and ensure a case arrives at the end of the build.
Happy Modelling

Geoff44
#29 Posted : 19 March 2017 22:17:43

birdaj2 wrote:
Al/Geoff

Many thanks for the kind comments.

I am just so pleased that this kit is available as I have wanted for so long to do a large scale car kit and while there are some really nice ones available they did not quite catch my imagination.

This one did. Need to get my full subscription sorted tomorrow and then all will be well.

If they have not processed my subscription then I may well upgrade to the premium edition because I think this model deserves a case and while the build completion is still a couple of years away who knows what the money/job situation will be then. So probable best to pay the slight extra per copy and ensure a case arrives at the end of the build.

I have already got a suitable display case which is 700mm in length, 300mm in width and 300mm high. I bought it when I completed a 1/400 scale model of the Titanic, qute a few years ago.The Titanic has finally sank (I sold it lol), I kept the case and it is wrapped up and stored in my loft, for when I need it again.

GEOFF
Gandale
#30 Posted : 20 March 2017 00:23:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you up and running with this Tony, very nice start too....Cool Cool .. Look forward to following your progress..

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#31 Posted : 20 March 2017 00:28:57

Alan

Many thanks BigGrin
Happy Modelling

delboy271155
#32 Posted : 20 March 2017 03:16:29

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Tony, BigGrin

Good to see your off and flying with this one.

Cool Cool Cool

Very much like the diary layout as well, WTG.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

RM1
#33 Posted : 20 March 2017 06:10:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start and great presentation in the diary.BigGrin
birdaj2
#34 Posted : 20 March 2017 10:28:18

Derek/RM1

Many thanks for the kind comments
Happy Modelling

Narayan
#35 Posted : 20 March 2017 15:58:22

Lovely detailed progress you have posted. Look forward to seeing it all come together.

Graham
I was drowning my sorrows. But my sorrows they'd learned to swim.

birdaj2
#36 Posted : 20 March 2017 16:31:01

Graham

Many thanks for looking in.
Happy Modelling

davetwin
#37 Posted : 20 March 2017 21:08:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice start Tony, the bonnet looks stunning Drool
pemberg
#38 Posted : 20 March 2017 23:24:35

Great start to your build Tony, looks like it will build into a stunning model.

Graeme
birdaj2
#39 Posted : 20 March 2017 23:39:29

Dave/Graeme

Many thanks for the comments.

I think it will indeed be a lovely model when complete.

Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#40 Posted : 21 March 2017 16:27:09

TUESDAY 21st March 2017 – BUILD THE JAGUAR E TYPE

At this point I am going to put together the parts from Issue 3. It should be noted that these parts are from the TEST issues from last year so once I get the parts against my new subscription I do not know if any of these will be altered. If they are then the new subscription parts will be substituted.

So on with the build:

ISSUE 3 – Parts Included

3-1 Horn Button
3-2 Steering Wheel
3-3 Left Front Tyre

PICTURE 1

Here we have the build instruction pages from issue 3. It’s a very straight forward and easy assemble in this addition but if you are subscribing you should receive issues 3 & 4 together and issue 4 certainly has more of an involved sub assembly to complete.

PICTURE 2

This picture shows each of the component parts we receive with Issue 3 (again this is from the TEST so there may be some changes with the full subscription Issue 3 Parts).

The steering wheel has a nice feel to it being made from metal rather than a plastic moulding. Just out of interest I put it on the scales and it weighs in at 9 grams (so if anyone is ever in a pub quiz and gets asked a question about the weight of the steering wheel in the Deagostini kit you will know the answer Confused) and with the horn button in place 10 grams.

PICTURE 3

Here we can see a very nicely moulded Front Left Tyre. At this point there is no build requirement for this item so just keep it safely packed away until it is called for later in the build.

PICTURE 4

This shows the reverse side of the Horn Button and in particular the 3 fixing pips that will press into matching holds in the Steering Wheel.

PICTURE 5

This is a close up of the steering wheel and again to note are the 3 matching holes that will take the pips from the Horn Button.

PICTURE 6

It’s just a case of matching up the pips on the Horn Button with the holes in the Steering Wheel and making sure you press these into place well.

PICTURE 7

And to finish of the build of Issue 3 here we have a close up of the tyre wall showing some very nice detail in the form of the Dunlop detail from the tyre itself.

HOT TIP OF THE WEEK

These tips will drastically reduce over the weeks as we progress but for now here are a couple of things to consider.

One thing I would mention is try and hold off opening and “playing” with any of the parts you receive each week (newsagent) or monthly (Subscription) until you are ready to sit down and actually build that section.

Some of these parts are extremely small and the last thing you would want is parts going astray causing delays and frustrations with your build.

And if you have a Dog that is used to playing with rubber dog toys make sure you keep the tyre well out of reach Cursing

How Many Hours Does It Take to Build the Model?

Issue 3: 10 Seconds

Running Total: 4 Minutes 10 Seconds

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
Picture 1.JPG
Picture 2.JPG
Picture 3.JPG
Picture 4.JPG
Picture 5.JPG
Picture 6.JPG
Picture 7.JPG
Happy Modelling