Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages 123>»
Graeme's Swift 1805 Options
pemberg
#1 Posted : 26 February 2017 12:33:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This is where I be building the Artesania Latina Swift 1805 which hs recently been added to the range of kits sold by ModelSpace.

A kit review can be fund here

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=22599

My build will start very shortly.

Graeme
pemberg attached the following image(s):
S1.JPG
S2.JPG
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 26 February 2017 14:09:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Graeme

Good luck with the build.

Really like the way these newer kits are being packed and presented - they look really good.

Just took delivery this week of the L'Hermione and that has the same layout as your swift.

Look forward to seeing what you do with this one.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 26 February 2017 15:30:38

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looks a nice kit. Cool Cool

Have fun.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Spal
#4 Posted : 26 February 2017 17:26:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A great choice of kit, not only for beginners but old hands as well,good luck with your build.

Al
pemberg
#5 Posted : 26 February 2017 23:33:16

Well I decided to make a start.

Found an off cut from an old shelf to use as a build board. Marked a line down the centre then decided the board was too wide for the size of ship so marked another line at one quarter width for the false keel and I will cut the board in half.
Marked 3 positions on the keel line between frame positions where the blocks will sit to hold the false keel in place. I then clamped a piece of wood along the line as a guide and started fitting the blocks in position, Pic 1.

Once these first blocks were in place I cut the board in half before I went any further..

I then removed the false keel from the fret, Pic 2, and sanded the areas where it had been attached to the fret. I then placed it against the fitted blocks and fixed the remaining blocks in place to hold the false keel upright, Pic 3.

Not a lot of progress but a start.

Graeme
SB1.jpg
SB2.jpg
SB3.jpg
magpie1832
#6 Posted : 27 February 2017 00:17:59

Off to a good start Graeme. Look forward to more.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Tomick
#7 Posted : 27 February 2017 11:08:40

Groups:

Nice start Graeme Cool
Gandale
#8 Posted : 28 February 2017 00:03:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Good to see you up and running Graeme, will be following....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 28 February 2017 07:34:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start GraemeCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Sticky Wickett
#10 Posted : 01 March 2017 10:21:22

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks like a great kit Graeme. Will be following this as it takes shape.

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
ian smith
#11 Posted : 01 March 2017 12:24:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start Greame. look forward to seeing this one come together.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
RichieG
#12 Posted : 01 March 2017 17:17:19

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I'm going to follow this one closely. It looks like it will use a lot of the same techniques as some things I'm planning to try to tackle in the near future. Thanks for posting, Graeme
pemberg
#13 Posted : 05 March 2017 13:20:37

Thanks for looking in guys.
The next job was to remove all the frames from the fret and smooth of the attachment points, Pic 1.

These were then glued to the false keel ensuring they were vertical and perpendicular to the keel. For smaller kits like this one i find that good old Lego makes for great set squares, Pics 2 & 3.

The two mast supports were then glued in place, Pic 4. Everything was then left to dry overnight.

The next job was to glue the ply deck in place. Now this bent both bow to stern and port to starboard. Following the instructions I first glued the centre line to the false keel and held it in place with a couple of quick grip clamps.

Then came the job of gluing the deck to the frames and giving it it's obvious camber. I decided to do this by sanding pieces of scrap wood to each rib profile using the empty fret to draw the profiles onto the scrap before sanding to shape.

I first marked the centre line on the deck ready for planking. It was easier to do this now with a flat deck than try and do it once the deck is in place.

I then glued the deck to each frame in turn by applying glue to the gap between the frame and deck with a cocktail stick then clamping the profiled scrap across the deck. This ensured a good joint along the whole width of the frame, Pic 5.

Each glued joint was left to dry for a couple of hours before moving to the next one to ensure the joint didn't "pop" when the clamp was removed.

Using an old stiff brush I then brushed glue along all the frame/deck joints to ensure everything was firmly fixed, probably overkill but I wanted strong joints ready for faring the frames prior to planking.

Pics 6 & 7 show the deck glued in place.

That's it for now

Graeme
SB4.jpg
SB5.jpg
SB6.jpg
SB7.JPG
SB8.JPG
SB9.JPG
SB10.JPG
Gandale
#14 Posted : 05 March 2017 13:28:59

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely update Graeme and a very nice solution for applying the deck..... nicely done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tigerace
#15 Posted : 05 March 2017 14:11:29

Great start GraemeBigGrin will be following with interestThumpUp regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

pemberg
#16 Posted : 17 March 2017 11:01:03

Thanks guys.

I have now started to plank the hull. I first made a simple gauge from scrap planking to mark the position of the first plank, 4mm below deck level and used it to mark each frame, Pics 1 & 2.

I then soaked the first couple of planks in warm water and bent them to the approximate profile for the hull using an electric plank bender, Pic 3.
Starting with the port side a plank was clamped in position whilst still damp and allowed to dry in situ, Pic 4. I made spacers from scrap plastic to fit around the frames and sit between the plank and deck not so much to keep the plank in its exact position but more to stop it slipping off the frame while it was drying.

Once the plank was dry I started to glue it to the frames. The method I use for this is to use a product designed for joiners/carpenters and goes under several trade names (joiners mate, mitre bond are just a couple). It consists of a thick super glue and an accelerator which can be in either aerosol form or as a big ‘felt-tip pen’. I apply the accelerator to the inside face of the plank and allow it to dry for a few seconds then I apply a drop of the glue to a couple of adjacent frames – in this case amidships – and then position the plank in the correct place, pic 5.

A note of caution, the plank bonds within a few seconds so the positioning needs to be accurate.

I then just apply a drop of glue, using a cocktail stick, to each frame in turn, hold the plank in place for a few seconds then move to the next one, Pic 6.
When attaching subsequent planks I follow the same procedure but also run a bead of white glue along the mating edge of the plank already in place before starting to glue the new one.

The above was then repeated on the starboard side and once dry a second plank was glued to each side below the first, Pics 7 & 8.
In order to follow the hull profile the next plank runs keel side of mid frame as seen in Pic 9. The plank was first bent and the ends profiled to fit prior to gluing.

The ‘home-made’ clamps seen in the pics were not my idea, I came across them on this forum quite a while ago and although I would love to credit the person responsible I can’t for the life of me remember in which build diary I came across them. If the person responsible should read this then thanks for the idea as I have found them very useful.

That’s it for now.
Graeme
SB11.JPG
SB12.JPG
SB13.JPG
SB14.JPG
SB15.JPG
SB16.JPG
SB17.JPG
SB18.JPG
SB19.JPG
tigerace
#17 Posted : 17 March 2017 12:13:14

Great update Graeme BigGrin really starting to take shape nowBigGrin PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Sticky Wickett
#18 Posted : 17 March 2017 13:07:25

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great technique Graeme. Looking forward to seeing it all take shape.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 17 March 2017 15:17:52

BigGrin Looking good GreameCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#20 Posted : 17 March 2017 17:50:44

Coming along very nicely Graeme, looking good....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan