Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages «<678
Graeme's Swift 1805 Options
DaDokta
#141 Posted : 20 June 2017 08:34:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Great update!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
pemberg
#142 Posted : 20 June 2017 09:50:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks again for the comments, now for the final leg.

Thick lines were lashed to the anchors, Pic 1 and then passed through the hawsepipes and tied off at the fore pin rail, Pics 2 & 3.

The pump, buckets and barrels – all made earlier – were then fixed to the deck, Pics 4 & 5.

The final bit of rigging was to raise the flag. This was fitted to a line which runs from the deck, up through a hole in the top of the upper main mast, Pic 6 and then back down to the deck. Pic 7 shows the flag in place.

The name plate was then painted. The instructions said to paint the whole plate black then rub it on fine abrasive paper to remove the paint from the raised name and border. I chose to mask off the name and border before spraying, Pics 8 & 9.

Well, that’s it for the build. I have thoroughly enjoyed the build, the only slight challenges being gluing down the deck as it is curved in two directions and fitting the bulwark pieces (for the same reason) but these were easily overcome with a little forethought. There was plenty of material included in the kit to complete the Swift, Pic 10 shows what I had left at the end of the build.
Pics 11-14 show the completed model. I have ordered clear acrylic to build a display case for the Swift and will post pics here once the materials arrive.

Graeme
pemberg attached the following image(s):
SB199.JPG
SB200.JPG
SB201.JPG
SB201a.JPG
SB201b.JPG
SB201c.JPG
SB201d.JPG
SB202.JPG
SB203.JPG
SB203a.JPG
SB204.JPG
SB205.JPG
SB206.JPG
SB207.JPG
tigerace
#143 Posted : 20 June 2017 10:59:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Graeme your doing a superb jobDrool Drool love it Love the detail and the quality of the build is first class BigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

DaDokta
#144 Posted : 20 June 2017 11:25:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wonderful build Graeme!!

One question: If i understand this right some of the lines that handle the sails are attached to some rings on the deck. How could they move the sails this way?
I hope you don`t mind my asking! I`m planning to buld this model as well - so this is of great interest to me!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
ian smith
#145 Posted : 20 June 2017 11:48:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Graeme.
Really fantastic Build. Really loved the way the rigging was done, attention to detail was spot on. Ian Cool BigGrin Drool Drool Drool
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
pemberg
#146 Posted : 20 June 2017 14:32:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cheers guys. Walter, I'm not a expert on period ship rigging but I've read that some lines e.g. haylyards, were tied using a bowline knot which gets tighter under tension but is easily released to adjust the line so would work in this instance.

Graeme
DaDokta
#147 Posted : 20 June 2017 17:14:06

Thanks for the information, Graeme!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
Gandale
#148 Posted : 20 June 2017 23:21:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work Graeme, you've done a superb job with her.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#149 Posted : 21 June 2017 07:51:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Lovely build Graeme, the detail is superb.Love

Mark
Sticky Wickett
#150 Posted : 21 June 2017 11:41:12

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Super job. Great workmanship Graeme.

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
pemberg
#151 Posted : 21 June 2017 22:25:46

Thanks for looking in and for the great comments. I will post more pics in the finished build area at the weekend.

Graeme
RogerThornhill
#152 Posted : 01 July 2017 06:09:55

Looks fantastic! Wonderful job.
pemberg
#153 Posted : 01 July 2017 13:14:20

Thanks Roger, just working on the display case now.

Graeme
davetwin
#154 Posted : 01 July 2017 15:12:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your Swift is looking very nice Graeme, great work Cool

Will be sharing the build of your display case, I'm sure there will be lots of people that like to see how to build a display case Wink
pemberg
#155 Posted : 12 July 2017 09:47:12

Now for the final update of this build, the display case. I ordered the clear 3mm acrylic cut to size online and used display case section from CMB for the frame. The display case section is 12mm square timber strip with either a single 3mm groove cut into it or two grooves cut into adjacent sides, Pic 1.

The display case section was cut to size using a mitre block and good quality razor saw, Pic 2. The single groove section is used for the bottom of the case and the two groove section for the rest. The frame pieces were then stained a walnut colour prior to assembly, Pic 3.

The display case base was made from a piece of hardwood I had lying around, cut to size and a 12mm rebate was cut around the upper face for the case to sit in. The base was then given 3 coats of Danish oil. Pic 4 shows the first coat being applied – I used a piece of lint free cloth to apply the oil.

The protective covering on the acrylic was then peeled back from the edges on both sides and taped down. I did this so the acrylic could be fitted into the frame without removing the film completely to reduce finger marks, dust etc. getting on the acrylic during assembly, Pic 5.

Pic 6 shows the bottom frame assembled (upper frame in the pic) and the top of the case assembled with the acrylic fitted and film removed.

The bottom frame was then placed on the base and the side pieces of acrylic slotted in place with the upright frame pieces being slid into place as the frame was assembled, Pic 7 – this was done without any glue at this stage to ensure everything fit into place correctly. Once I knew all was well, each upright was slid upwards in turn, glue applied to the bottom corner and the upright piece slid down again join the frame pieces. The top section of the frame was then glued in place and the case left to dry, Pic 8. As can be seen in the pic the top of the frame was weighted down whilst the glue dried.

Once dry the case was turned over, Pic 9 in readiness for removing the film from the inner faces of the acrylic.

An offcut of the hard wood had one face angled and was Danish oiled, Pic 10, to hold the name plate.

The Swift’s stand was then glued in position on the base, the name plate fitted and the Swift put into place. All the protective film was carefully removed from the acrylic and the case place over the ship and fitted into the rebate on the base.

Pic 11 shows the finished Swift in her case mounted on the wall in our lining room, with kind permission of my wife.

Graeme
pemberg attached the following image(s):
C1.JPG
C2.JPG
C3.JPG
C4.JPG
C5.JPG
C6.JPG
C7.JPG
C8.JPG
C9.JPG
C10.JPG
C11.JPG
Sticky Wickett
#156 Posted : 12 July 2017 14:56:02

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent work on the display case Graeme! It will really enhance your quality model.

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
greg
#157 Posted : 12 November 2018 09:14:27

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I might be a day late and a dollar short, Thanks for some great close ups of the rigging and the stellar use of Lego's

this ship will be first build shortly

may your sails always be full

NOW - Building SWIFT 1805

long term goal "USS Constitution"
completed "Fair a Frame" by Model Shipways

pemberg
#158 Posted : 12 November 2018 12:11:53

Cheers Greg, I'm sure you will enjoy the build.

Graeme
ian smith
#159 Posted : 15 November 2018 21:01:19

Cool great display very well done Graeme BigGrin Drool
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Garth
#160 Posted : 19 November 2018 06:57:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Graeme,
Lovely work on your display case.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.