Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

24 Pages 123>»
L'Hermione Build Options
Gandale
#1 Posted : 28 February 2017 21:03:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This build will be a straight out of the box build and will follow the instructions closely, as found on the MS Website:

http://www.model-space.c...yette-complete-kit.html

A review of the kit has been done separately and can be found here:

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=22587

It should also be noted that should you wish to create the mouldings on the various strips of wood on this build then you will need both the sets of Artesania Microshapers. This is an optional extra and is recommended in Stage 17 of the build instructions.  (Artesania Ref 27300 and 27301).

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=22529

When these become available from the tools webpage then members will be advised however, they are available via other online sources such as Tower Hobbies...

http://www3.towerhobbies.../wti0001p?&I=LXGEGH

http://www3.towerhobbies.../wti0001p?&I=LNGEGJ

Stage 1

Removed the two parts of the keel, 10 ribs, stiffeners and 3 mast sockets from the fret. Cleaned all edges and slots of any ash deposits. Glued the two parts of the keel together and clamped to a flat surface to ensure the keel remained flat. Once the glue had dried, glued and clamped two stiffeners over the joint, ensuring the slots on the keel were kept free. Allowed to dry fully before continuing.

Set the keel into a jig to keep it straight. Starting at the bow, glued the frames into position ensuring they were set to 90 degrees to the keel and perfectly upright and level. To do this I used the set squares included in Artesania’s Micro Drawing Set which can be purchased separately from the Model-space Shop in the very near future. Once all the frames were set these were left to dry fully before continuing.

The three mast sockets have two different sizes for the mast bases. The two with the larger sockets were glued in place for the Foremast and Mainmast, the smaller for the Mizzen mast. Finally, glued the two supporting pieces into the slots (facing the bow), ensuring they were placed the right way round.

This completes Stage 1.

Regards

Alan

Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF3651.JPG
DSCF3659.JPG
DSCF3660.JPG
DSCF3662.JPG
DSCF3664.JPG
DSCF3665.JPG
DSCF3666.JPG
DSCF3667.JPG
DSCF3669.JPG
DSCF3673.JPG
DSCF3675.JPG
DSCF3676.JPG
DSCF3681.JPG
DSCF3682.JPG
DSCF3683.JPG
DSCF3684.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 28 February 2017 21:35:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Nice start Alan Cool looking forward to this one Drool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#3 Posted : 28 February 2017 22:45:05

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks Martyn, I think she's a lovely ship and so far everything is fitting very nicely.... Cool Cool .. Early days of course but so far am impressed with this kit....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 28 February 2017 22:47:39

BigGrin yeah I might have to look at this one for my stash Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
nightwisher
#5 Posted : 28 February 2017 23:02:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks like a nice kit,not too big and good quality.Very tempted.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 28 February 2017 23:09:46

BigGrin Nice start AlanCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

pemberg
#7 Posted : 28 February 2017 23:11:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start Alan, she looks a nice quality kit.

Graeme
Gandale
#8 Posted : 28 February 2017 23:34:14

Thanks everyone for looking in. I'd say this is a kit worth doing, hasn't given me any problems at all as yet.....Cool Cool .. Don't think you'd be disappointed...

Regards

Alan
eebygum
#9 Posted : 01 March 2017 09:39:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan

Nice and straight tidy work looking forward to watching this build progress

Rgds

Tery
FINISHED BUILDS---- HMS Victory--Bismarck--Battleship Yamato-D51 Steam Train--Pocher Ferrari Testarossa--Soleil Royal--Schnellboot S-100--StageCoach 1848--HMS HOOD-- Delorean (Back to the Future)
Sticky Wickett
#10 Posted : 01 March 2017 10:19:32

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice looking kit. Looking forward to seeing this take shape.

Regards,
Phil W
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
ian smith
#11 Posted : 01 March 2017 12:27:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start Alan. looks a nice kit. look forward to seeing this one come together. Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
birdaj2
#12 Posted : 01 March 2017 23:28:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good start Alan.

It is a fantastic kit and so impressed with the way its all laid out and the quality of the parts.

I was particularly impressed with just how smooth the mast dowels are - the best i have ever seen in any kit i have ever purchased.

Have you decided what brand of paint you will use for this one?

Hope the rest of the build goes well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
greyhawk
#13 Posted : 01 March 2017 23:50:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Oh this one should be good. Having the usual troubles with your photos, but the ones I see look great already. Only 139 stages to go. Flapper
magpie1832
#14 Posted : 02 March 2017 00:40:39

Nice start to the frame work Alan. Look forward to more ...

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#15 Posted : 03 March 2017 23:48:32

Thanks everyone for the great comments, appreciate you looking in....Cool Cool

@Tony, as yet I haven't decided on what paints to use and I'm open to suggestions.....

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#16 Posted : 03 March 2017 23:51:37

Stage 2

Removed the two second deck sections from their frets and cleaned up all the edges of ash. Test fitted the decks in place to ensure all fitted well, no problems found. Starting from the edge that runs down the centre of the deck, I started laying veneer strips (0.5 x 4 x 300mm) one after the other until the deck sections were covered. Left everything to dry overnight.

Turned the deck sections over and using a fresh blade in my craft knife I trimmed all the surplus strips from around the decks. I kept the offcuts, they are of a length that will likely come in useful later in the build. Then used a fine sanding block and sanded all the edges smooth. Following the grain of the wood I then sanded the decks smooth, again using a fine sanding block.

Using a ruler and a fine pointed pencil I drew lines where the planks join to simulate the caulking. Followed the measurements outlined in the instructions and drew in the joints for the ends of the planks followed by the treenails. The decks were then given 2 coats of matt varnish and allowed to dry completely.

Finally in this issue I fitted and glued the two decks in place, clamping at key points to ensure they didn’t lift anywhere and left to dry.

This completes stage 2.

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF3685.JPG
DSCF3687.JPG
DSCF3688.JPG
DSCF3689.JPG
DSCF3691.JPG
DSCF3692.JPG
DSCF3693.JPG
DSCF3694.JPG
DSCF3695.JPG
DSCF3696.JPG
DSCF3697.JPG
DSCF3698.JPG
DSCF3699.JPG
magpie1832
#17 Posted : 04 March 2017 01:15:03

Looking great Alan. Lovely planking and those trenails are so uniform.
Great work.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#18 Posted : 04 March 2017 14:53:53

magpie1832 wrote:
Looking great Alan. Lovely planking and those trenails are so uniform.
Great work.

Chris Cool

Thanks Chris, so far she is a lovely kit to put together....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
RichieG
#19 Posted : 04 March 2017 15:28:41

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

It's a very clean build. Interesting choice to draw in the caulking lines after the planking had been laid. I've usually seen people draw on the edges of the planks before they're glued on. But, it looks really good, I must say.
Gandale
#20 Posted : 04 March 2017 23:42:14

RichieG wrote:
It's a very clean build. Interesting choice to draw in the caulking lines after the planking had been laid. I've usually seen people draw on the edges of the planks before they're glued on. But, it looks really good, I must say.

Thanks Richie, appreciate you looking in and your comments..Cool Cool .. The planking and simulated caulking has been done as laid out in the instructions. It's the first time I've tried it this way and must agree with you, it appears to work really nicely....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan