Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
San Fran 2 build by Saintsman Options
saintsman123
#1 Posted : 16 April 2011 17:46:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Finally after a long wait I got the first parts through. I have completed the basic framing, and decking, as the pics will show, when I put them up.
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#2 Posted : 16 April 2011 18:40:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

First lot of pictures.
saintsman123 attached the following image(s):
DSCF4098.JPG
DSCF4097.JPG
DSCF4096.JPG
DSCF4094.JPG
DSCF4095.JPG
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#3 Posted : 18 April 2011 17:21:18

I've gone down the trenailing path, to see how it would turn out.
DSCF4107.JPG
DSCF4108.JPG
DSCF4109.JPG
DSCF4110.JPG
DSCF4111.JPG
Come on you Jimmies
Foz
#4 Posted : 18 April 2011 20:00:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking really nice there.

I must say though, that i think members on this site must hold the record for the number of cocktail nsticks used.

Keep the pics coming.

Foz
Tomick
#5 Posted : 18 April 2011 20:30:13

Groups:

Just don't sit on it! LOL
saintsman123
#6 Posted : 18 April 2011 20:49:00

Tomick wrote:
Just don't sit on it! LOL

I almost did !!

I sat it down on the sofa while I answered the phone, finished the call, made a cuppa and came back through and without thinking was about to sit down, luckily one of the kids saw and quickly moved it out the way. Could have been embarrassing. Blushing
Come on you Jimmies
karl1113
#7 Posted : 18 April 2011 21:23:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

saint you could always use it scrubbing yer back in the bath,then topedo it afterwards.
seriously though,I cut off one stick with side cutters,then sharpen it up again to do the next one and so on.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
petpole
#8 Posted : 18 April 2011 23:54:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good there saint, its a very theraputic job doing those treenails lol (not)LOL but the finish is much better and it adds a bit or realisam to the finish keep up the good work.Drool
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
saintsman123
#9 Posted : 19 April 2011 10:29:53

Thanks for the comments guys.BigGrin

I've now snipped the sticks off and sanded, the effect does look good. The one thing I have learned is to be very careful sanding when the deck planks are only 0.6mm as I've gone a bit too far in one area and almost took the wood back to the plywood decking base. In future if I do this I'll use a thicker wood to allow for the sanding process. I'll put some pics up later once I get some batteries for the camera.

One other thing, I took this as a 4 part series, has anyone else done it this way, and if so what do you get in parts 2,3 4? as looking at the parts list supplied, I'm not sure if I got all the bits for the 4 parter and wondered if Customer Services have sent it out as an 8 parter.
Come on you Jimmies
magpie1832
#10 Posted : 19 April 2011 13:17:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Saintsman,

Its all looking good m8, Yes those planks are mighty thin.. I think in your next delivery you get the planks and some of the deck furniture and fittings. I cant remember now but take a look at my build log. There are many things on there that the instructions dont tell you. Also here is a link to another build..SAN FRAN
I took mine over the 4 month.. Then delved into the Surprise.. I got the bug fast after building the San Fran..
Chris..
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

saintsman123
#11 Posted : 19 April 2011 17:01:56

Thanks Chris
I got the bug many years ago, when I built a couple of Billings kits but with bringing up the family I stopped, I made a few plastic kits but nowhere near as much as I did when I was a kid.
Getting the Victory was a great way to kickstart everything again, even if I did get it through a part time job. The great thing about the models on here is the fact that you can build them a bit at a time without spending too much at once, I know I can't afford over £400 at once, well I can afford it but can't justify it especially when trying to help my eldest at Uni. I was lucky enough to get the Del Prado Cutty Sark on e-bay at the weekend for £48.00 so between Victory, San Fran II and the Cutty Sark I'm sure I have enough to be going on with.
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#12 Posted : 23 April 2011 12:07:59

More pics attached after trimming and sanding the sticks.

I have pinned the bulwarks on temporarily, mainly so I don't lose or damage them while waiting for the next parts.

I picked up the Cutty Sark, so yet another diary will be starting.
DSCF4112.JPG
DSCF4113.JPG
DSCF4114.JPG
DSCF4115.JPG
DSCF4120.JPG
Come on you Jimmies
lee.takel
#13 Posted : 25 April 2011 09:07:37

Nice work Saintsman
jonny7england
#14 Posted : 25 April 2011 10:08:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice in deed, keep the pictures coming...ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
magpie1832
#15 Posted : 25 April 2011 12:08:31

Looks Awesome M8
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

saintsman123
#16 Posted : 25 April 2011 23:44:14

Thanks guys
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#17 Posted : 20 June 2011 22:09:23

After getting what seemed the wrong parts in my second delivery, I was surprised by some of the parts that arrived with the third delivery.

Here goes

I now have 2 sets of crows nest bits, one set the same as Magpies the other is bare cast metal.

All the rear gallery supports are duplicated in wood and metal, even though the parts list specifically says "Cast in metal"

The guns have arrived as a kit, similar to Victories, with separate wheels, sides etc.

The gratings, again supposedly cast in metal to be painted in a wood finish, well they are normal wooden gratings as used in Victory. This is proving a slight problem as I'm not sure if I have enough applewood or mahogany supplied to build them

Ladders, I have 2 sets, one set in metal one in wooden kit form (which proved handy, as the latest ladders I got for Victory were very poor quality, so I used them on Victory)

Even the rear lantern has been duplicated, this ones a bit strange as both lantern parts are the nice brassy metal, but one set of lantern top, and support are in the brassy metal , the other set is plain cast.

Both plastic boxes had the same layout of parts, the only thing missing and not duplicated are the rudder hinges.

I feel very honored to be sent 2 sets of parts as they are going to come in handy for a future project.

So has anyone else got these duplicate bits and pieces?

The future project I mentioned is going to be a bit of a unique fantasy of a ship, as I was lucky enough to get parts 1-28 of Victory on e-bay, with a full set of paints, and binders for £25.00ish. So eventually I'm going to use these parts, with some of the extra San Fran parts as well as some other bits and pieces I've collected, to come up with something unique and different, with no historical reference at all.
Come on you Jimmies
catman275
#18 Posted : 20 June 2011 23:04:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Saintsman,
Perhaps they are in a transition period of upgrading the parts?
My complete kit came with wooden ladders and gratings,
cast metal gun carriages,
plain cast metal rear lantern
wood gallery supports,
metal crows nest

perhaps you could call your new unique build the San Frictory?

any other suggestins from the crew?

cheers Peter
completed..... Endeavour Longboat, San Francisco 2, Virginia 1819

building Royal Caroline

saintsman123
#19 Posted : 21 June 2011 10:26:01

catman275 wrote:
Hi Saintsman,

perhaps you could call your new unique build the San Frictory?

cheers Peter

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#20 Posted : 22 February 2012 13:16:03

Admin these are the parts I received the other day, as you can see they are different to those you have shown to me.
DSCF4893.JPG
Come on you Jimmies