Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Cute Rooms Green's Bar 1:24 Options
greyhawk
#1 Posted : 10 March 2017 14:55:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

A while ago I started a build diary for a doll house I intended to build for my niece. Then quietly dropped it and acted like I never went there in the first place.

There were two reasons for this:

A) My sister adviced me she'd rather not have a dollhouse as my nieces secret name is "Entropita, Destructress of All Things" and she wanted to avoid the tears after the house is invariably laid waste to in the first 2 minutes.

B) The kit I bought turned out to be.... well, let's say... suboptimal. Materialswise. In that Everything-breaks-and-nothing-fits kind of way. Not too surprising for a 1500 part 70 Euro kit, but still. So I dumped it.

But the idea never left me. And so recently I found out that in Asia there is a whole subgenre of model building related to building very tiny rooms or stores kitted out with everything such a room or store would have.

And naturally there are kits out containing the whole badoozle with walls and tapestrys and lights and interiors and so on so I bought myself a bar because I always wanted to own one. It's an irish pub of course, what else would it be. Or what we think of as Irish anyways here on the continent.

This is what it will hopefully look like when done

And this is what it looks like as delivered

An example of the quality instruction. Sadly there's no actual bear cup to be built, just a beer stein. (I may build a bear cup after all. It sounds awesome).

And my progress so far on building up the store front.

Fun fact: Note the claim on the build plan that it is proportioned 1:1. Complete and utter lie. It's actually 1:1 only at one very specific section about 1 centimeter off centre. Everywhere else it varies wildly and unpredictably. Not sure if that is intentional what with the whole drunken Irishmen theme, but a bit annoying nonetheless. At least there's distance indicators written out with numbers.
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 10 March 2017 18:37:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looks like a fun little kit and very different.Cool

Good luck.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

pemberg
#3 Posted : 10 March 2017 18:54:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Completely different - should be an interesting build.

Graeme
stevie_o
#4 Posted : 10 March 2017 19:00:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

birdaj2
#5 Posted : 10 March 2017 21:34:14

Very nice little kit and how different.

I bet this is a fun one to build
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Mo
#6 Posted : 10 March 2017 21:45:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hope you get it finished before next Friday,
That's St Patrick's Day, we could all meet for a beer.lol

Good luck

Mo.

Mo
greyhawk
#7 Posted : 11 March 2017 21:42:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well, that's a tough schedule (I totally forgot about St. Patricks Day actually). Pretty sure I'm not gonna make that date.

I've finished preparing the major pieces of the kit.

The background is a lighted box which will contain all the furniture. It's been fitted with wallpaper, floor and ceiling by gluing in apropriately themed paper (this comes with the kit and just has to be cut out).

The storefront with door and windows was put together from 36 parts of prepainted wood most of them fitting right out of the box. One of the door window frames is a bit too short, but I hope it's not too noticable.

The pubs name is another piece of paper provided and glued on. The handle is built up out of two silvery beads and a straight black plastic rod. Window glass is simulated with transparent PVC.

The whole storefront including sidewalk swings away on a pair of hinges to allow an unobstructed look into the background box. Those I have not installed yet so I have more room to maneuvre in the box.
greyhawk
#8 Posted : 12 March 2017 11:41:51

Finished up the storefront with signage. I've installed the hinges after all as there's too many things that might get broken otherwise if I did it later.
davetwin
#9 Posted : 12 March 2017 19:56:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

How cool, your very own pub BigGrin

An interesting and different kit Cool
birdaj2
#10 Posted : 12 March 2017 20:00:16

That is really taking shape and looks so neat.

Look forward to your next update on this one.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
greyhawk
#11 Posted : 13 March 2017 10:04:15

What's really great about his kit is the mix of materials. You have wood, paper, textiles of different sort, plastic, wire, it's all there.

The furniture guys arrived. Mr Green was a bit confused by the IKEA instructions and forgot to put up the foot rests on the bar stools, but I'm going to help him out with that later today.

Spal
#12 Posted : 13 March 2017 14:18:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is very different but I like it BigGrin keep up the good work.

Al
greyhawk
#13 Posted : 27 March 2017 23:36:18

greyhawk
#14 Posted : 29 March 2017 00:07:07

Martyn Ingram
#15 Posted : 29 March 2017 09:02:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin 180eeeeeeeLOL lovely job Greyhawk Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
birdaj2
#16 Posted : 29 March 2017 09:06:03

Fantastic work - very well done indeed
Happy Modelling

greyhawk
#17 Posted : 30 March 2017 09:37:02

Almost done now. Just the lights and a bit more decoration

Caveat: The quality of material delivered is quickly going down the drain in these last stages and instructions are turning into theoreticals as in "In theory you should be able to stick thing A to thing B, but not with whatever we supplied you with that totally does not look like what it should look like", so I've started skipping a bunch of stuff. On the other hand, it's a 13 Euro kit, so....
davetwin
#18 Posted : 30 March 2017 16:55:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Despite the issues with materials and instructions, what you have so far is looking quite impressive Cool
Spal
#19 Posted : 30 March 2017 18:07:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is a great build, love itLove

Al
nightwisher
#20 Posted : 30 March 2017 19:15:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice, wouldn't mind popping in for a pint or three.Not sure about the pictures though,maybe something a bit older maybe something from say 1966.BigGrin
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!