Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Johnny Walker Logos ... Thoughts? Options
Senna94
#1 Posted : 21 April 2011 16:20:50

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Guys,

Since I realised the Johnny Walker decals are not on the model Its had me thinking...

First off... I like Johnny Walker, both the product and as a sponsor and being a hardcore McLaren fan, I want the logos on the car.

Now, as someone on here has kindly pointed out, There is a decal set you can buy with the Rear wing JW Decal, but the JW decals for the wing mirrors, I'm struggling to find them.

http://www.hlj.com/product/MCLDC-585

Now, whats everyone else planning to do? I know alot of you are really into your model making so I doubt you would want an 'unfinished' model and you guys will know more about it than me... so from the pro's.. whats your views?

And secondly... Why are they not included anyway? is it because its a alcohol sponsor?

Thanks guys.

Building the McLaren MP4-23
Tomick
#2 Posted : 21 April 2011 17:24:55

Groups:

Correct, because its an alcohol sponsor in the same way that tobacco advertising is not allowed.
Senna94
#3 Posted : 21 April 2011 17:27:04

Tomick wrote:
Correct, becuase its an alcohol sponsor in the same way that tobacco advertising is not allowed.

Thought so... Although in my personal opinion its complete rubbish.... but hey ho the worlds gone crazy BigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#4 Posted : 21 April 2011 18:01:49

Groups:

BigGrin Hi all,

Quote:
Tomick wrote:
Correct, becuase its an alcohol sponsor in the same way that tobacco advertising is not allowed.

I think there is a way round selling models that have either Tobacco or Alcohol sponsors in the decals provided. I have seen it done in the past with 'aftermarket' decal sheets, whereby the words that make up the offending 'sponsors' names are printed minus the first letters of each word in their title, BUT the first letters are printed on the same sheet but away from the main part .. or even on a separate sheet??

For example:

'Johnny Walker' can't be printed and SOLD that way because of the way the law prevents it, but I think the law can be by-passed if, on the decal sheet you have the words 'ohnny alker' printed, but with enough space between the words and on the beginning, to ADD the separately printed capital letters of 'J' and 'W' and any relevant logos particular to that brand?? Similarly , it is illegal to sell decals of the 'Marlboro' brand, but it isn't illegal, as far as I know, to sell the word 'arlboro' with a separate capital letter 'M' methinks!!

After all there is no law that I am aware of that makes it illegal for any individual to spell Tobacco/Alcohol brand names by adding or subtracting letters, otherwise it would thus be illegal to sell anything to do with the alphabet!! Similarly I could go and buy one of the many Alphabet Decal sheets and spell 'Johnny Walker' or 'Marlboro' or any other until my hearts content and there ain't nothing the law can do about it!! There is always a 'Grey' area to any law that will allow 'Loopholes' such as this!! I hope that you understand my explanation??

Maybe Admin can check the legality of doing it this way (or not as the case may be?), as I am sure that many DeAg 'Mac' builders would be only too pleased to buy them as an extra, myself included, if it makes the model that much more complete?? And yes, the law is an 'ss' (capital 'A' provided separately of course- LOL) LOL LOL Flapper Flapper

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regards ... Kev. BigGrin
Senna94
#5 Posted : 21 April 2011 18:05:27

SennaMentalMe wrote:
BigGrin Hi all,

Quote:
Tomick wrote:

I think there is a way round selling models that have either Tobacco or Alcohol sponsors in the decals provided. I have seen it done in the past with 'aftermarket' decal sheets, whereby the words that make up the offending 'sponsors' names are printed minus the first letters of each word in their title, BUT the first letters are printed on the same sheet but away from the main part .. or even on a separate sheet??

For example:

'Johnny Walker' can't be printed and SOLD that way because of the way the law prevents it, but I think the law can be by-passed if, on the decal sheet you have the words 'ohnny alker' printed, but with enough space between the words and on the beginning, to ADD the separately printed capital letters of 'J' and 'W' and any relevant logos particular to that brand?? Similarly , it is illegal to sell decals of the 'Marlboro' brand, but it isn't illegal, as far as I know, to sell the word 'arlboro' with a separate capital letter 'M' methinks!!

After all there is no law that I am aware of that makes it illegal for any individual to spell Tobacco/Alcohol brand names by adding or subtracting letters, otherwise it would thus be illegal to sell anything to do with the alphabet!! Similarly I could go and buy one of the many Alphabet Decal sheets and spell 'Johnny Walker' or 'Marlboro' or any other until my hearts content and there ain't nothing the law can do about it!! There is always a 'Grey' area to any law that will allow 'Loopholes' such as this!! I hope that you understand my explanation??

Maybe Admin can check the legality of doing it this way (or not as the case may be?), as I am sure that many DeAg 'Mac' builders would be only too pleased to buy them as an extra, myself included, if it makes the model that much more complete?? And yes, the law is an 'ss' (capital 'A' provided separately of course- LOL) LOL LOL Flapper Flapper

Hi again mate!
Thats very interesting!! Lets see what comes of that.. Admin?
How easy would doing that on the wing mirrors be?
Fairly fiddly I suspect!?
BigGrin
I think we *may* get somewhere with this

SennaMentalMe
#6 Posted : 21 April 2011 18:12:05

Groups:

BigGrin Hi there fellow Senna fan!! ThumpUp

Quote:
How easy would doing that on the wing mirrors be?
Fairly fiddly I suspect!?

Fiddly, yes but NOT impossible and a solution to the problem of missing decals methinks!!BigGrin ThumpUp

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regards ... Kev.
SennaMentalMe
#7 Posted : 21 April 2011 18:34:10

Groups:

BigGrin Hi all,

Just sitting here thinking about this problem some more and I landed on the fact that a lot of kit manufacturers aren't allowed to sell models with 'naughties' advertised, BUT how come the 'aftermarket' decal makers can come up with and sell decal sheets for other makers' models, that contain the 'missing' sponsors logos and THAT practise can STILL be legal?? Example: the decal sheets for this build that can be bought from a certain supplier in Japan?

It is a well known fact amongst modellers that if Tamiya or some other kit manufacturer brings out a new kit without the bad advertising, then just wait a month or two and HEY PRESTO a decal supplier will print them up and put them on the market for you!! How does that work but remain within the law unless as I stated in my other post, there is no law aginst selling words BUT there is if it is ON an object?? Just what I meant by a 'Grey' area!!Confused Confused BigGrin

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regards ... Kev.BigGrin
Senna94
#8 Posted : 15 May 2011 11:29:31

This is more of a call for advise but I've just been looking into custom decals and came accross a site which offers water slide decal paper to print your own decals onto and then transfer onto the model.

Now as much as the fact Johnny Walker logos aren't provided is bugging me, I don't want to stuff the model up with some cheapo home made decals, but to me it's not a complete model if it doesn't have these logos on.

Now we've sussed out the rear wing endplate decals I'm talking about the decals on the back of the wing mirrors.

I have a perfect replica logo of what is on the rear of the wing mirrors, but unsure about this method.

Any ideas/thoughts?
Austin
#9 Posted : 15 May 2011 11:38:01

Groups:

Could you not scale the rough size off the photos then find the decals off some other model?
Senna94
#10 Posted : 15 May 2011 11:47:06

Austin wrote:
Could you not scale the rough size off the photos then find the decals off some other model?

I've been trying to do this but so far no joy, I think the 1:18 are too big and can't find any others
But if you come across any that would be brilliant.
Austin
#11 Posted : 15 May 2011 12:01:05

Groups:

I think maybe printing them yourself would be a great idea, if your printer and decal material is of good quality it should be just as good as the ones you get with models. My only concern would be how to apply them as I think most printers use water based inks, and you usually use water to apply them????Confused
Senna94
#12 Posted : 15 May 2011 12:07:30

Austin wrote:
I think maybe printing them yourself would be a great idea, if your printer and decal material is of good quality it should be just as good as the ones you get with models. My only concern would be how to apply them as I think most printers use water based inks, and you usually use water to apply them????Confused

Yeah I thought exactly the same thing but it seems this is do-able.
Just watched a video on YouTube from print to finish and it looks fairly good.
Would take me a little bit of time to make the logo without the White background for the decal but it would be worth the time.
I'll look into this and try it out. If it's good I could maybe offer my services for other forum users?
Austin
#13 Posted : 15 May 2011 13:37:25

Groups:

Just had a look, thought that might be the way, using some kinda clear varnish. Try it dude you never know might work a treat.
Warthog
#14 Posted : 15 May 2011 13:46:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Senna

Been googling Johnnie Walker logo's and there are plenty on there but the ones for the wing mirrors are not the same.. maybe have to play around with them in Paintshop or Adobe to get them right.. it is doable and I'm no good at Adobe but I might give it a whirl too and see what happens.. at least it will pass the time between issues!!

Spencer
Senna94
#15 Posted : 15 May 2011 13:59:55

Warthog wrote:
Senna

Been googling Johnnie Walker logo's and there are plenty on there but the ones for the wing mirrors are not the same.. maybe have to play around with them in Paintshop or Adobe to get them right.. it is doable and I'm no good at Adobe but I might give it a whirl too and see what happens.. at least it will pass the time between issues!!

Spencer

Hi mate,

Another echo of my thought! BigGrin

I've got the logos from the mclaren site before they changed it so they are plain black and White.

Also used photoshop for ages, so pretty at home with that.

Off to Birmingham on the train tomorrow so I'll have a play and post the image tomorrow night.

Would anyone be interested in these decals if I was to make them? I wouldn't charge much, just enough to cover materials and p&p.

Before I do offer it out I'll test it a good few times to make sure I'm not responsible for any f ups!
scotty2hotty
#16 Posted : 15 May 2011 14:17:56

+1
Austin
#17 Posted : 15 May 2011 14:24:27

Groups:

Give them a test dude an I'll have a set defo.
Warthog
#18 Posted : 15 May 2011 14:44:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Yep i'll have a few sets ThumpUp
MWG
#19 Posted : 15 May 2011 18:47:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

and me !!
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

deanojeavo
#20 Posted : 15 May 2011 19:38:48

And me tbh, we rely could do with em as there not much point doing all this for a unfinished McLAREN rely :/
Mclaren MP4-23 - COMPLETED
Red Bull RB7 - COMPLETED
Senna MP4-4 - COMPLETED