Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Stevie's "slightly modified" Samurai Armour build Options
stevie_o
#1 Posted : 17 March 2017 13:44:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This is my late entry for build of the year 2017, I chose this kit as I have all the parts and I reckon I can get this done within the yearBigGrin

There will be some mods along the way and the build order will in no way follow the instructions as I need to open up all packs to collect parts for priming and spraying.
After collecting a load of pics online I now have an idea in my head of how id like this to look but may veer off course during the build, we shall seeBigGrin

The main thing I want to change is the gloss finish, I intend on a matt / satin black finish with some red thrown in too. Also, I wont be using any of the supplied yellow lace, I will be opting for red and black so some parts that are pre sewn will have to be dyed black later.

So far I have built up all the main chest armour for priming and built the helmet and mask.

The mask has been sprayed in mahogany and I filled in the holes for the beard and lower lip "hair" as I only want the upper lip done.

The supplied horse hair will also be ditched in favour of some white hair kindly donated by my own horse "Ria Rose" Laugh

Some pics of whats been done so far in no particular order -

stevie_o attached the following image(s):
DSC02033.JPG
DSC02049.JPG
DSC02053.JPG
DSC02054.JPG
DSC02056.JPG
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 17 March 2017 14:09:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Cool.I havent seen a modified Samurai build.

Carl

Nemesis
#3 Posted : 17 March 2017 15:20:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now this will be interesting to watch, looking forward to seeing what your mods are!Blink BigGrin
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 17 March 2017 18:21:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That`s an interesting take on this kit, I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Good Luck

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tnequette
#5 Posted : 17 March 2017 18:23:08

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really interesting. There are so many vividly colored suits and I can't wait to see what you come up with!👍

Have fun.

Tom
davetwin
#6 Posted : 17 March 2017 18:25:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is quite an interesting looking build, look forward to following.

Good luck Steve Cool
stevie_o
#7 Posted : 17 March 2017 19:34:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks guys, I'm quite enjoying this at the moment, no idea how it's going to end up yet thoughBigGrin

I have seen plenty of photos where the Mempo has teeth, usually jagged and can be any colour, black, white, gold etc. So thought Id give it a go and I'm quite pleased with it.
I have tried to bend the horsehair using heat from a hair dryer, its almost where I want it but not quite yet. I think the white hair looks better than the dark hair supplied though.

Steve
DSC02057.JPG
DSC02059.JPG
DSC02060.JPG
DSC02066.JPG
DSC02067.JPG
Gandale
#8 Posted : 17 March 2017 22:28:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

I like what you doing with this Steve... Look forward to following your progress and good luck with the comp.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Nemesis
#9 Posted : 17 March 2017 22:39:50

Nice work with the teeth.ThumpUp
macky42
#10 Posted : 17 March 2017 23:55:33

I will also be following this with great interest, I've had similar thoughts about building a modified version. I've decided to build mine as a replica of the Date armour as I like the original, but I'd also like to build a second one in a different scheme. I was thinking mostly russet finish for the mask, helmet bowl and sleeves, either red with blue lacing or black with green lacing for the rest. Possibly even make full sode (shoulder guards) for it, but that would be a lot of work. I don't know if I'll ever do it though, by the time I've finished I may not want to do another!
I had some replacement parts due to paint finish problems, and did some experimenting - I think Humbrol Track Colour is also a decent candidate for a russet finish. I also thought I might modify the mask to the noseless hanbo type, possibly more likely to be worn in combat.
I will probably make an alternative maedate (crest) for mine, I plan to put it in an acrylic display case and the original crest increases the dimensions quite a bit.
I tried bleaching a sample of lacing as a test for dying it a different colour, but it completely disintegrated. Ho-hum.
If anyone else builds this, it's worth looking at this site - http://yoroi.uk/

This is a real-world restorer and his lacing guides are useful. I have followed his advice about paper plugs - fiddly and time-consuming at half-scale but it gives a realistic appearance to the lacing.
As for that, I don't like the yellow lacing at all, it seems to be of poorer quality compared to the blue, and harder to work with - anyone else think that?

stevie_o
#11 Posted : 18 March 2017 00:41:27

magpie1832
#12 Posted : 18 March 2017 00:47:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great build Steve. Looks real good.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

arpurchase
#13 Posted : 18 March 2017 01:00:27

BigGrin Looking good Steve and a nice twistCool

@ Macky, the lacings provided with the kit are synthetic based to provide strength and colour that lasts unlike the traditional silk lacings and lacquers that can fail over time as you can see by the link you have provided.

Lacing can be obtained by a good supplier what you really need is a haberdashery that's been in trading in silk based items for a long time they will also have the synthetic equivalents. Be aware though that silk also has the same drop/give as synthetic lacing although not the same so you will need to gauge the drop as you add the lacquered plates.

How about a full set that you can wear if you like bling and it surpasses anything that your average rapper could dream up of wearing take a look at the TAKEDA SHINGEN example a fave of mine, made to measure but you may need a second mortgage to pay for it:- link below

http://www.samurai-store.com/armor/tag/index.html

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

stevie_o
#14 Posted : 28 March 2017 18:14:48

I have now primed and matt coated the helmet - I used a kind of charcoal colour. The paint i decided to get was a stove matt enamel, it's very tough as I didnt want any chipping later as It's going to get a lot handling during the build.

I then used AK true metal Old Bronze to dust over the black and then polish quickly with a soft clothBigGrin

Steve
DSC02069.JPG
DSC02070.JPG
DSC02080.JPG
DSC02081.JPG
DSC02084.JPG
Nemesis
#15 Posted : 28 March 2017 19:14:56

Love the effect you have created, very well done!BigGrin
tnequette
#16 Posted : 28 March 2017 20:13:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Absolutely amazing. You have a great eye. Wow!

Tom
davetwin
#17 Posted : 28 March 2017 20:58:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's a stunner piece Steve, I really love the finish in the stove enamel Love
Tomick
#18 Posted : 28 March 2017 21:02:08

Groups:

That's a nice finish on the helmet Cool
stevie_o
#19 Posted : 08 April 2017 20:19:48

Thanks for looking inBigGrin

I managed to get the rest of the main panels done in the matt black then the bronzing after, still plenty more to do before I start on lacing the plates. There will be a splash of colour added later BigGrin

Steve
DSC02142.JPG
DSC02143.JPG
DSC02145.JPG
Gandale
#20 Posted : 08 April 2017 22:51:58

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great work Steve, this has a real authentic look to it... Look forward to seeing more.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan