Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Saintsmans Del Prado Cutty Sark 1/90th scale Options
saintsman123
#1 Posted : 23 April 2011 12:26:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I picked this up on e-bay for a huge £48.00 After starting Victory I have enjoyed getting back into model ship building, so went for the San Fran 2 as an in between build, but essentially that is another part work, so after completing the first parts, and getting up to date on Victory I decided to start this model, the good thing is I have (almost)all the parts so have no waiting.

Anyone who has built this kit I am missing issue 74, and have no idea what parts were in it, so if anyone has the workcards for this issue its masts and yards numbers 12 and 13, can you let me have a copy?

In my opinion the parts are nowhere near the quality of Victory or the San Fransisco 2, in fact there are a number of parts (blocks, deadeyes) which the workcards say are wood, but look very much like plastic. It will be fun building this without any real forum set up to help, but I'm sure I can rely on you guys should I need any help
Come on you Jimmies
magpie1832
#2 Posted : 23 April 2011 18:39:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Saintsman...

Glad it was a fellow modelspace user that won, I put some Bids on this as a Project..
I also tried for the Victory off the same guy..

Chris..
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

jonny7england
#3 Posted : 23 April 2011 18:44:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Cris, what version of Victory was it mate? And by the way, the latest pics of HMS Surprise are real crackers mate...love em...BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
magpie1832
#4 Posted : 23 April 2011 18:47:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It was Delprado again.. All issues with this one.. £72.10 it went for..

Me being skin flint wanted it for less.. lol

Thanks for the Encouragement.. Much appreciated,,

Chris..
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

karl1113
#5 Posted : 23 April 2011 20:33:30

chris,you would not have liked it,I made that version I think 1/98 scale,the rear gally area was metal,and made the boat very back heavy,even the side windows were metal,very little detail on the main deck.also the decoration on the bow was metal.looked out of scale to me.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
saintsman123
#6 Posted : 24 April 2011 09:55:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks Johnny7 thats a fantasic help. I'm glad it's the cross trees if it was the precut mastheads I would have been in trouble, thanks for postig the work card.
Magpie............so it was you that put the price up I coud have got it for £26 if it wasn't for youCursing BigGrin. You should be glad you didnt win this or DelPrado Victory (looks like Karl agrees), the parts are really poor, the wood supplied for both hull planking and decking can vary in thickness by 1mm or greater, the width is the same. One piece I got out to use started at 3mm at one end went to 6mm at the other, and varied in both thickness and width along the whole length. I'm going to just enjoy this build, do my best and not worry too much about the quality of the finished boat as having looked ahead at parts and instructions I can see a few problems with materials and info.

Pics up this afternoon after Church, and egg rolling with the kids, Happy Easter.
Come on you Jimmies
Tomick
#7 Posted : 24 April 2011 10:52:05

Groups:

jonny7england wrote:
Hi there saintsman123..with issue 74 you should have got 3 strips of 4mm x 4mm x 250mm...these are used in the construction of the crosstrees...I hope that this helps...good luck with your Cutty Sark...keep us posted...BigGrin

Hate to have to keep saying this, but can you guy's NOT post copyrighted material Mad
jonny7england
#8 Posted : 24 April 2011 13:23:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

My apologies Mr.T the offending posting has been deleted...Blushing
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Tomick
#9 Posted : 24 April 2011 14:17:08

Groups:

Thanks Wink
saintsman123
#10 Posted : 24 April 2011 22:43:19

Luckily I got the images, sorry if it landed you in trouble Jonny7, and thanks again for the help I've got some 3mm dowel lying around so that should be ok for the mast bits, and I'm sure I can get some 4mm square wood online.
Thanks again
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#11 Posted : 24 April 2011 22:45:00

Here are the initial pictures, just the basic framework.
saintsman123 attached the following image(s):
DSCF4116.JPG
DSCF4117.JPG
DSCF4118.JPG
DSCF4119.JPG
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#12 Posted : 24 April 2011 22:58:51

Having had a bad day with my back and knees, I've been doing the hull planking all day. The wood as I mentioned previously is awful, I could not use the pin tool as if I pressed slightly too hard the tool went straight through the wood. Trying to do the hull faring was guesswork, as all the instructions say are "sand the bow and stern", no pics are shown of before and after. After starting planking in accordance with the workcards I looked at the next set and noticed that they seemed to have put a "rabbit" in the stern, but the pics are too small to see clearly, so I had to make up my own ideas, hopefully everything will work out in the end.

After planking I am almost too embarrassed to take pictures, but I will. The good thing about the kit is that it is double planked, and there are copper (actually brass(ish)) tiles included, so all the lousy planking will get covered up.
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#13 Posted : 04 May 2011 15:56:18

Attached are some pics of the awful planking I've done.
I know that you should not blame your tools, but the wood is really bad.
DSCF4141.JPG
DSCF4142.JPG
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#14 Posted : 04 May 2011 16:03:58

After filling and sanding, the hull does not look too bad now, I found it very difficult to sand as the wood was so flexible between the ribs so some areas were starting to get too thin while the flexible pieces were not sanded at all.

I came up with a solution, no doubt the experts could have helped, but wanted to try something myself. I used diluted PVA tocover the whole hull, left it to dry, then covered the hull with very fine filler, once that was dry the whole boat felt much firmer, so that allowed me to sand it down much better. As can be seen in the pictures.
DSCF4154.JPG
DSCF4155.JPG
DSCF4156.JPG
DSCF4157.JPG
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#15 Posted : 04 May 2011 16:18:54

The pics show the hull having been roughly sanded, the fine sanding worked really well.

I then put the veneer on the top half, using a fast setting white glue that I got from CMB, this worked well if you allowed it to go tacky before putting on the thin planks, they did not curl up, and allowed me just to wash any excess of both my hands and the model without leaving any residue.

The kit contains so called copper plating, I say so called because it looks like brass to me. The plating comes in sheets which I found very hard to stick to the model, I used super glue, contact adhesive ( applied to both surfaces and allowed to become tacky ) but because of the thickness of the plating I found it too hard to get the shape to mould to the hull. So I've abandoned this part of the kit, and am now double planking the whole model.

The other thing about the plating is that it made the model look "cheap", especially against the colour of the top half veneer, so I've made a big leap for me and decided to paint the model. This is now where I am deviating from historical accuracy (not that the kit is that accurate)I have decided to have a white line under the black top half,then paint the bottom copper, I'm only doing this as it's my model, and I'm sure the Cutty Sark model police will not come round and arrest me for a bit of deviation.

I'll put some pics up once it's done.
Come on you Jimmies
saintsman123
#16 Posted : 04 May 2011 20:16:34

Thanks for that Karl, it looks much better than the supplied material.

I've gone for the extra white line as when I showed the family how it would look they didn't like it and as they have to look at it all the time they want it to look appealing to them. So what I've decided to do is buy a big pot of white paint, and once the Cutty Sark is restored I'm off to Greenwich and I'm going to paint the real thing to match my modelLaugh
Come on you Jimmies
catman275
#17 Posted : 31 August 2011 02:04:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Saintsman,
How is your build going?
I am doing the Del Prado as well and have almost finished the hull planking.
I wont be putting up a log of it just the occasional picture when I get to a finished stage.
I didn't nail any planks just glued them, the quality is terrible.
I don't know how they could charge nearly £6 for each issue, absolute rip off. No wonder they went out of business.
Mine cost £45 from e-bay. It all seems there except for the prow which is missing.

Oh well I better stop waffling on.
happy building
Peter
completed..... Endeavour Longboat, San Francisco 2, Virginia 1819

building Royal Caroline

saintsman123
#18 Posted : 09 September 2012 16:20:14

this was an absolute disaster, the instructions were terrible, the diagrams needed a magnifying glass, in the end i found it more of a chore than enjoyment. the finished effort is not worth displaying. but thanks to jonny for all his help.
Come on you Jimmies
catman275
#19 Posted : 09 September 2012 17:17:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Saintsman,
It's been a long time since I put that post in.
My Del Prado Cutty Sark went to the bottom in two pieces (in the wheely bin).
I had the hull first planked sitting on the side of my work bench, when I reached up to get a tool, slipped and knocked my half inch router off a shelf..result....two part Cutty Sark.
It only cost me £45 and it was as you said, getting a chore rather than a pleasure.
best wishes Peter
completed..... Endeavour Longboat, San Francisco 2, Virginia 1819

building Royal Caroline

conqueror060
#20 Posted : 18 May 2017 00:31:35

Damn! 45 pounds??? I bought the 100 issues (sealed) from German ebay for 249 euros..... This was probably a rip off... I will start the build this weekend. Fingers crossed LOL LOL LOL

Is it soooo bad or can I save it if I try??? Laugh