Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages 123>»
Crescent Moon - Not a Millennium Falcon build Options
Lundin
#1 Posted : 28 March 2017 22:04:41

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi.

I decided to start a builders diary here at Model Space.

I got my big package end of January.

Since I live in Sweden Subscription is not an option for me. So I got all issues at once. Box was 55x55x50 cm, and the weight was 12kg. So around 20x20x20 inches and 26 lbs.

The magazines were placed at the bottom of the box, and on top were all the plastic bags with parts.

I thought long about opening them up and sort all the parts. I were afraid to mix them up.
But many pieces are marked with ID's and the magazines are great reference to identify pieces in case I do mix them up.
I opened all plastic bags and sorted the pieces. I left a few small bags with tiny pieces in their bags.
I first put everything on shelves sorted as Interiour, metal, sprues, big hull pieces, small detailes and all screws and tiny pieces went into plastic boxes with compartments.
Everything is now better stored in see-through boxes.
A Thumbs
#2 Posted : 28 March 2017 22:17:55

Holy smokes! So that's what it looks like all packed into one box; I always wondered.

Have fun with it! It'll consume you for a long, long time.
Lundin
#3 Posted : 28 March 2017 22:47:18

I gave the ship or build the name "Crescent Moon" because there might be a one on the ship. And I wanted to call it something.

It will not be a Millennium Falcon. I knew that from the start. I want to do something different.

I will also make a display cabinet for the model. A table with a glass top.
The inside walls of the cabinet will be a diorama, a square or landing pad with buildings surrounding it.

That's the idea or dream anyway.
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 28 March 2017 23:15:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start, I bet that took ages sorting all those issues out. I look forward to seeing it progress. BigGrin Cool

Mark
Bill-Devine
#5 Posted : 29 March 2017 00:38:50

Hi Lundin, welcome to the build forum. Can't say I am the best a building a model as this is the first model I have been building in over 40 years. Best of luck with your build lots of good info can be found in other build diaries.
Make things as simple as possible but not simpler... - Albert Einstein
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 29 March 2017 05:28:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Lundin, BigGrin

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to see what comes of all those parts. They look awesome. Blink Blink

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting your diary.

Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Lundin
#7 Posted : 29 March 2017 12:10:41

The biggest difference when getting all issues in one go is that I'm not forced to build according to the magazines. But that is also the danger. I might miss an important step if I don't check the mags before I start.

In the beginning started off by assembling some smaller parts to get a feeling for the plastic parts, glue and paints.

The landingstruts or legs were a good start. They have an awesome design I think.
I will probably have parts of them in shiny chrome to suggest some sort of hydralics.

I also wanted to have a piece of hullplating to test colors on so I built one from styrén. I added lots of greeblies I made myself and pieces from old sprues.

Since I were not sure what the best approach were I tried a lot, but it turned out better than I had hoped for.
I'm going for a green Falcon btw. (I think)
SeanC
#8 Posted : 29 March 2017 13:29:43

This will be an interesting project! Can't wait to see your progress BigGrin
Lundin
#9 Posted : 29 March 2017 18:33:41

Why doesn't my images show up? It worked fine yesterday.

I solved it.
Lundin
#10 Posted : 30 March 2017 20:39:58

I wanted to do something about the battledamages on the hull, that looks more like chickenpox scars.
I drilled holes, used a warm soldering iron to distort the holes, and some putty. Turned out pretty good.
Looks better with some primer on. But I need to revisit it to smooth the putty better to the hull.
birdaj2
#11 Posted : 30 March 2017 20:48:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks like a fantastic model in the making.

Will follow your updates with great interest
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Lundin
#12 Posted : 30 March 2017 21:29:24

First I thought I would spend most of my time and efforts on the exteriour and the surrounding diorama but the interiour was too tempting and fun.

So the far too smooth floor and walls.

I added pieces of styrén to the walls.
For the floor I opened up one of the maintenance holes and glued thin strips to divide the floor into pieces.
I have seen other builders buy detailing kits for the floors in metal, but I found it too expensive.
So I used plastic insect-netting. I cut out pieces that fit and glued them in. The netting "density" is 6 squares per centimeter.
The scale is a bit too big. You couldn't really walk over the floor without getting stuck, but it turned out very good. And didn't cost much.
I just wanted something that could catch the weathering in a good way.

Primer and some preshading.

I am not very used to the painting process, so I am trying different methods.
I finally got my airbrush to work properly. I didn't use enough thinner before so it clogged pretty fast.

Some base colour.

As I have mentioned, I will not build the Millennium Falcon, so I will not use the sofa, chessboard and bunkbed.
But they will be used in the diorama in some way. I have some cool ideas.
It's a bit sad. I thought about it for a long time. But "kill your darlings" as they say. I need to make this into my ship.

This is how I planned the hold.
Some cells to keep people or animals locked up. That the ship is owned by bounty hunter or smuggler of rare animals. Something like that.

The cages.
I also used the netting for the cages. It is see-through and turned out very nice. The doors are high enough for a grown man to walk through. A scaled down man.

The finished main hold.

I also made an maintenance pit. Lots of small pieces from old sprues.

arpurchase
#13 Posted : 30 March 2017 21:43:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Some nice work thereCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

SeanC
#14 Posted : 30 March 2017 22:14:35

Looks great!
colson
#15 Posted : 30 March 2017 22:24:24

What you're doing looks really cool. Definitely making it your own ship.
Metal Mech
#16 Posted : 31 March 2017 04:26:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Awesome to see someone else do a not Falcon YT-1300 build

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
RogerThornhill
#17 Posted : 31 March 2017 04:27:59

Very interesting build. Will be following to see what you come up with.
scraperjawa
#18 Posted : 31 March 2017 04:38:23

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It will be nice to see a different take on this model. Looks great so far. Will be watching this build with interest.

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

Markwarren
#19 Posted : 31 March 2017 07:38:27

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Wow, you've certainly got you tech well and truly stuck into this project. Looks amazing, great to see something completely different. The hold area looks superb. BigGrin Love

Mark
davetwin
#20 Posted : 31 March 2017 17:41:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I like the approach you are taking and think it will look really nice in the green colour scheme Cool