Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<891011>
Crescent Moon - Not a Millennium Falcon build Options
Lundin
#181 Posted : 18 November 2018 14:42:35

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Higher walls, a vault and a doorway.

I am going to build all walls one storey high and make sure they are all in level until I start covering them with clay.

It's quite heavy. I tought it would be light. It's the OSB in the bottom that adds the most weight, so far. Guess the clay will add a lot. But I don't mind it being heavy.

And the cardboard is tougher than I first thought. I tried to sculpt it a bit with a knife with breakable blades. They broke.
So I tried my Dremel with one of those rotating cutter bits. Worked great, but there is a lot of dust. So maybe I will be outside to do the sculpting.

I also started to test furnish with small items, placing them to see how it will look. Nothing of that in this photo.
Got a pile of those yellow Kinder-egg containers. They will be great tanks. Big round shapes to break up the cliffs. Need to add pipes to them. And build stands for them. More about those later.
Markwarren
#182 Posted : 18 November 2018 17:50:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That’s taking shape nicely.Love

Mark
Lundin
#183 Posted : 18 November 2018 18:32:29

Thanks Mark.
Lundin
#184 Posted : 27 November 2018 22:51:06

Some progress.

Markwarren
#185 Posted : 27 November 2018 23:21:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking excellent, getting some meat on the bone now. Love

Mark
Lundin
#186 Posted : 05 December 2018 23:14:52

Small update.

The cardboard cutout is the profile for the cliff.
I glue and stack cardboard pieces and glue them to follow the profile. Working upward.

I think I will build as much of the front, outside facade of the cliff as possible, before continue with the interiour.

I found some photos online from the "Valley of fire" and the "Goblin cave".
Strange shapes in the rockwall that looks like shelves.
I will try to make something like that on the interiour of my cliff to add some interesting detailing.
Lundin
#187 Posted : 09 December 2018 02:23:19

Update on the progress.

Working on the exteriour facade.
I am gluing and stacking pieces of cardboard in layers, using the profile template as a guide.
It is a bit wobbly until I cover the surface with the clay. The clay makes it rigid and strong.
Gandale
#188 Posted : 09 December 2018 09:57:52

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work, great to see the landscape coming together..... Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#189 Posted : 09 December 2018 10:54:01

Excellent work, that is really coming on nicely.Love

Mark
Lundin
#190 Posted : 10 December 2018 23:50:24

After a day above the radiator the clay is hard.

The cliff looks like shiny melted wax in the photo. I don't know why. Because its really flat and have tons of micro detailing in the surface.

And a picture of my stone-tools. BigGrin They are getting a bit caked up now so I will soak them in water over night. The clay brushes off easily tomorrow.

Also got some (100pcs) of small led-lights in the mail today. They will brighten the interiour of my cliffs.

Lundin
#191 Posted : 16 December 2018 15:02:41

Update.

I noticed during the week that the walls didn't lean out that much and that I lost much of the "paw" shape at the top. It was basically just a curved wall. I want the 3-toe paw to be the section through the whole cliff. From bottom up to the top.

So I used my japanese fine toothed saw and removed 2 big chunks/wedges. That worked very well. Like sawing through balsawood. This was done before I added the clay.

With the wedges gone I could carefully bend the 3 walls outward to get the shape I wanted. I added temp supports on the inside to force the walls outward.
After that the clay I applied helped to strengthen the new shape and make it strong enough to stay bent out.

I have started to add depth to the bigger of the holes made by the wedges I removed. I want an opening there. Maybe it's a big crack that with time has widened and been further enlarged by people to form a small balcony or something. I like it because its off center and adds an interesting feature.
The smaller gap I will fill with rock. Maybe leave a smaller "window" or hole to fit some pipes.

I want different heights on the top of the cliff. As seen in an older post.

I have about one more inch higher to go to reach the height I have planned for. But right now I am not sure how I will construct the top.
That would be easy if I didn't have to consider access to the rest of the cliff while building it. I will have to leave the roof for now until I get a good plan for how to build it.

I have also started to plan for the electricity I need to light up the cliff.
I got the LEDs last week and at night when my studio is dark I light it up with a small torchlight to see how the shadows fall. It's cool.
I am not planning for a night-time diorama. I will have daylight all over it.
More about this later.
Lundin
#192 Posted : 23 December 2018 22:13:10

2 days ago I asked myself -how do I add rivets to a surface. The kind of semi spherical rivets that goes outward. The small rivet-holes that goes down into the material are made with a spur on a handle. I have one of those.
And I have thought about this before a couple of times.

Yesterday I went to my favorite bookstore here in Stockholm, The Sci-Fi Bookstore. They sell among tons of scifi and fantasy related goods also tabletop role-playing games, like Warhammer. There on a wall I saw a package with rivet molds.
Once home again I took my Milliput and tried to make some rivets.
It worked.
Haven't tried to glue them to a surface yet. It's probably trickier than I think. They are so tiny.

Once I had them I had a new problem, how to store them.
Solved that too.

Old transparent tubes which stored styren-profiles.

I am very happy about that mold. So much easier to add some micro detailing.
Lundin
#193 Posted : 31 December 2018 02:34:44

An update.

I have reached full height now. The mid section will be 1-2 inches lower than the sides. The clay are still moist at the top.
I have started to use my gluegun and warm glue to put the cardboard together. I used white glue before but it took too long to dry. With the gluegun I can add the clay shortly after.

There will be a big crack on the right side. I have started to build the thickness of the cliff around the crack.

I also bought some grey paint as a base paint for the cliffs.
I have repainted one of my old testcliffs with it. I used the airdrying clay on it so I have the same texture and surface as the real cliff.
I will add more colors and patina to it. See if I can find a recipe for the paintjob. Will also add grass later.

Lundin
#194 Posted : 31 December 2018 02:42:07

I have also started making some props for the diorama.

I used the yellow inner container of a Kinder-egg as a base, and covered it with styrenparts.
It's just covered with some primer now.

Markwarren
#195 Posted : 31 December 2018 10:32:57

Lovely work, you have a great eye for detail and great imagination.

Mark
Lundin
#196 Posted : 31 December 2018 23:25:53

Last day of the year.
I had to continue with the test cliff I painted grey yesterday.

Really hard to take good photos of this. I only have the artificial lights this late in the day. Don't want to wait for next day. So it's the result of the paint job in different angles to the light sources.

Basecolor is a grey with some blue in it, concrete could be a good name for it I guess.

Painted yellow/orange streaks over it, tried to follow the rock shapes a bit.

After that some dark patina water made from black, brown and yellow. I covered it all and then wiped it off after a while. It's to highlight the cracks and dents in the surface.

After that I drybrushed white carefully over it to highlight the highest points of the surface. It also gave it a weathered look.

And then it was time to baptise my flock machine. It's from WWScenics. Filled it with green-redish stubble as a test. I added drops of glue here and there on surfaces faced upward. More of them further up on the cliff. I guess there is more sun higher up.

I am very happy with the result. Wish I tried with longer grass but the one I have is very green. I want a more yellowish grass. Or the one I just tested but longer. I want it more tufty here and there. Like the grass on some links golfcourses.

arpurchase
#197 Posted : 01 January 2019 01:01:08

BigGrin That looks the bizz and very nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Lundin
#198 Posted : 01 January 2019 02:39:43

Thank you all. I am doing my best. BigGrin
Lundin
#199 Posted : 03 January 2019 23:42:34

A small update.

I painted the cliff with the concrete grey and then painted orange stripes. I tried to follow the shapes in the cliff. Nothing sciency but it looked okay on the testcliff.

Lundin
#200 Posted : 07 January 2019 22:40:32

A wee update.

I finished lot of the rock texture on the outside of the first cliff. It looks great, exactly want I wanted.
But...
There are SO much detail now. I didn't expect it to be so much. On my much smaller test cliff it looked perfect.
And when all the other cliffs are finished it might be too much.

So I finished another of the old test cliffs.
I always liked it. It has details but is calmer in the texture.
I think I will try to make a larger test piece similar to the test cliff. A cliff that could replace the big one.

Maybe it will turn out better. I will keep the large one as it is, but let it rest for a while.