Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages <1234>»
Crescent Moon - Not a Millennium Falcon build Options
Lundin
#21 Posted : 31 March 2017 19:23:14

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Deciding the colour of the still unnamed ship was hard. Took a lot of thought and try to find reasons for and against certain colors.
I found an image online from TFA and started altering and adding colors.
I have seen the Stellar Envoy and I like the big painted rings on its top half. So I went with that.

My thoughts went a bit like this...

The Falcon has some red hullplates. And somewhere in the galaxy there is a scrapyard with a scrapped and destroyed red-coloured YT-1300, missing a few hullplates. Maybe I should build THAT particular YT-1300. I really like that idea for a diorama and a build. Great chance for weathering and to build a story around the ship. Something like Rey living in an fallen AT-AT.
But. Maybe some other time. Maybe for my next Millennium Falcon build.

The original in grey is a bit boring. I want color.
Yellow, is too vivid. I love yellow but its not for this ship.
Red, is blood somehow, too angry, and I can't see the ship in red.
Blue, is the same colour as the engine exhaust/light. Too much blue.
I really like Stellar Envoy, but it's already made. And I guess I have to make a lot of research to make it a true S.E. Maybe read StarWars novels. I have no time for that. :-)

So only green is left.
I like the more vivid green better. It pops a bit more than the dull green.
I picture the diorama where the finished ship will rest to be a bit inspired by the autumn. Red and orange in its colours. Right now I'm thinking red/orange cliffs (which will also exclude a red ship. Too much red.) with a landing pad in the middle and city buildings surrounding it. A bit like Docking Bay 94 in Mos Eisley.
But it will still be a hunk of junk. No change in that.

And there is a white crescent moon around the quadlaser. That's where the build got its name from. The ships real name I don't know yet.
Metal Mech
#22 Posted : 01 April 2017 05:25:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The Star of Tion is green in color. I thought about doing that one but keep chaning my mind.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
gedmac66
#23 Posted : 01 April 2017 10:40:10

G'day @Lundin ,
Terrific concept and execution so far ( hold area ) . Will follow your build with great interest . Thanks for sharing .

Cheers Ged
Lundin
#24 Posted : 01 April 2017 15:23:02

So a few words and images to illustrate my ideas for my diorama that will hold my ship.

Since I work as a 3d-artist I am used to throw together quick renderings to visualize ideas and concepts. I do that for my private projects also, even if it is a shelf that will store my DVD collection.
There are always things to learn from this process.

It is not always the realization of how to do a specific thing that is the maiin output from a mockup in 3d, it could be how to NOT do a thing.
I like to eliminate options through reasoning.

This is the first rendering. Table is about 120 cm in a square (4 by 4 feet).

I found a free 3d-model of the Falcon online and rescaled it to match the proportions of the DeAgo model.

The table will be made from plywood. Trims are in wood and will hold the glass-top and everthing together. Gives me something to put glue on and screws in.
I want it to be simple and not draw attention to itself. That's the job for the diorama.

The output I want from this 3d-sketch is what the diorama should look like. And NOT look like.

I modelled the actual table in full scale 1:1, and the diorama in it's scale which is 1:43. I put the little figure in to get a feeling for size. (It's actually Han Solo)

I don't want buildings that looks like 5 stories of condos. I want something much more organic and random. I like the streets of Jedha and Lothal.
And I don't like the way everything is aligned in the image.

I considering doing it asymmetrical, rotate it a few degrees and maybe making the table rectangular. It's square now.

So, that's what I need to do next. Doing an asymmetrical version.
Lundin
#25 Posted : 01 April 2017 15:30:30

With the last post I am up to date with my backlog of material.
From now on I will add new photos and ramble on depending on the progress of my build.
nightwisher
#26 Posted : 01 April 2017 18:29:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow,this is gonna look fantastic.Drool
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
davetwin
#27 Posted : 01 April 2017 19:02:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great idea with the diorama, should look great when finished Cool
Lundin
#28 Posted : 02 April 2017 13:09:06

I have started working on the 3 corridors connecting to the main hold.

The floors were a bit boring so I glued thin rods to the groves. The rods were 0,5 mm thick, and made it easier to add rust and weathering.

I made all cushions dark terracotta red. Adds a bit of color to the grey walls and goes well with the orange rust.

When I pre-assembled the corridors to the hold, I noticed that I have blocked the quad-laser tunnel access with my nice corner of pipes and greeblies.
There is usually a flat wall there with a desk with controls and computers.
So that is something I must solve. Luckily, many parts are just taped to the hold so I can remove them.
That is one thing that can happen when not following the magazines.
Markwarren
#29 Posted : 02 April 2017 17:53:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work, love what you are doing. ThumpUp

Mark
birdaj2
#30 Posted : 02 April 2017 18:01:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That is a very interesting and unusual idea for a display and should look very nice.

Looks like you have had plenty of parts to paint, and very well done as well.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Lundin
#31 Posted : 05 April 2017 20:41:44

I have been sketching on the showcase-table. It's a slightly rotated version.
I like the feeling it gives, that it's a disaligned cut through the "homebase" of the ship. It's more random and not constricted by the walls of the showcase.

It's also tighter around the ship.

This is not how I want the homebase or city to look like. It's just boxes to get a feeling for the volumes inside the case.
For the final design I will probably make cutouts in cardboard and put them inside and move them around to find the look and layout I want.

And I need the table to at least be assembled with a plywood top to start the build on the hull.
I have no table big enough to hold it. And I don't want to keep it on the floor.

I have also bought led-lights and things I need to light up the mainhold. This will need careful planning since I need to drill holes where there are none.

I want one of the walls in the diorama to be the doors of a hangar big enough to hold the ship. The huge doors should be partly opened.
Lundin
#32 Posted : 09 April 2017 20:30:47

Started building the showcase today. The understructure is made from plywood and triangular pieces of wood in the corners. Everything glued and screwed.
After building this far I think I need to add a crossbrace to support the plywood that will be on top of the legs and also act as the floor for the diorama. I can't risk it to bend because of weight issues. The diorama might start to break. That Falcon is heavy.

The understructure is 1070 mm in a square and 280 mm high.
Lundin
#33 Posted : 09 April 2017 21:32:44

The construction of the showcase. How I planned it anyway.
Gandale
#34 Posted : 09 April 2017 22:29:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice work, think this is going to be a great show piece....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#35 Posted : 09 April 2017 22:38:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is on a whole new level of excellance.

Really nice to see the computer design beginning to take shape with the wood parts you have started on.

Very well done indeed.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
Bill-Devine
#36 Posted : 10 April 2017 21:24:14

Of your color choices I think #3 looks best.
I typically don't like yellow but for some reason it looks good on this.
Make things as simple as possible but not simpler... - Albert Einstein
Lundin
#37 Posted : 11 April 2017 21:00:18

All the different versions with colour schemes that I made I can live with. I didn't make versions that I would reject at once, that I thought were ugly.
I considered them and rejected them one by one after my ideas of what I want to do became more clear.

I love yellow. But I don't have a story or scenario for a yellow YT-1300 yet.

And I really want to make a red version.
Lundin
#38 Posted : 11 April 2017 21:03:18

Showcase is progressing well. Thought I should try to get a plywood top on before Easter.

It's strong enough to hold me standing in the middle, so the ship and diorama will be fine.

A size refernce.
birdaj2
#39 Posted : 12 April 2017 07:25:16

That looks a very nice piece of work.

Going to be a very unique display when complete.

Hope it all continues well.
Happy Modelling

Lundin
#40 Posted : 12 April 2017 18:46:54

Now when I have a proper surface to work on I can proceed with the metal-parts of this build.

So far I have kept everything metal in plastic boxes. All the different screws are sorted into a see-through tacklebox.

Since I don't know where to start the only way is to follow the instructions in the magazines.
Just have to rip open the plastic bags and start identifying the parts.
The big blue poster helps a lot. All ID's are there and where to place them in relation to all other parts.

This will be fun.