Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<7891011>
Crescent Moon - Not a Millennium Falcon build Options
Lundin
#161 Posted : 24 August 2018 21:31:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I have started turning my many doodles and sketches of the cliffs into better and more three-dimensional images.

I take the sketches, redraw them, scan them and print on markerpen paper.
That way I don't destroy the original and I can print again if I mess it up.

I need to practice working with the markerpens. And its fun.

I have also been moving around my mockup cliffs and ship around in the diorama.
I think I have found a good configuration with more space around the ship, but still have the opportunity to make lot of cliffs and cool interesting details on and around them.

The sketch above looks a bit like Kessel. I have always wanted pipes. I will not have the yellow poisonous color though. But I have been inspired by Kessel.

I will post some more sketches and images of the mockup diorama soon. I need to make some hard decisions.
arpurchase
#162 Posted : 25 August 2018 07:32:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Some imagination going on here, great stuffCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#163 Posted : 25 August 2018 08:19:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great concept drawing. Nice work.

Mark
Lundin
#164 Posted : 30 August 2018 01:05:52

Here is another concept I made.
This one is to scale, the height of the cliff is more correct to what it will be when finished.
In the first concept the cliff is too low.

I drew the lead pencil sketch for it during a meeting where the others spoke a lot. Some features in it I can't say what they are for, I just drew them.

It is mostly about how the pipes can bend and curve around the cliff.
The idea behind the platforms is to give access to service the pipes, or access to small huts where workers can live.
There is a small hut on top with a moisture farm outside.
I think there will be some sort of elevator shaft/tower close to the cliff. Then there will be catwalks between cliffs.
Lundin
#165 Posted : 24 September 2018 22:59:02

I have been busy with building a dollshouse to my sisters kids. Just an ordinary one, for Barbies. Not even Starwars themed. BigGrin So not much is happening on the model right now. But I am doing sketches and are dreaming and planning the cliffs and diorama whenever I can, often on the bus home. I used to draw, a few years ago, and on good days, for 2 hours a day while traveling. I want, and need to get back to that. It's good for my mind and soul.

And there are results.

I have started to draw the "ant-farm" part of the diorama. The whatever that will be inside the cliffs.

It's not to scale, and just ideas thrown down on paper. Not even sure how it will be built.

I am not using my dejaric table, that comes with the model, inside the ship so I want it included somewhere else. So why not in a Dejaric Bar. I think I can maybe mold them and make a few duplicates. And the seats are also unused so I can put them in there as well.
The niches behind the curved seats are for lighting. I think I can get some small LED-lights in there.
It inspired by the cantina in Mos Eisley. The shape of the bar is too boring, I need to do something about that one. And I already have ideas. As it should be. Draw it, and a better idea comes faster to you.

This IS my dream bar, or close to it. I will never be able to build it full size so a model scale 1:43 will have to do.

arpurchase
#166 Posted : 25 September 2018 07:30:56

BigGrin All looking good and nice idea with the bar
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#167 Posted : 25 September 2018 09:58:14

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Lundin
#168 Posted : 18 October 2018 23:02:47

The dollhouse is finally finished, so I can focus on "more important" things now.Drool

I have been playing with the mockup cliffs and the mockup ship a bit. Trying to find a nice configuration that gives me some more space on the ground.
This is one of them.

But....

I have been thinking a lot on the cliffs while doing sketches of the buildings, but something have been off about them.
It has always been hard to draw buildings on them, retro-fitting them onto the cliffs. And I have never figured out how windows look in the StarWars universe. I couldn't draw them on my buildings, it never looked good.
So I have been looking through all my StarWars Location-books to find clues and a way to solve that little problem. I have especially looked at Tatooine, where there aren't many windows, mostly doors. But I don't want my diorama to be Tatooine.

I had an idea about making something similar to the Lars homestead, but much larger. I like the idea, but not enough.

I made a small doodle today while waiting for the bus home. At home I redrew it.

And then I made another one. It's more like the ancient city Petra, carved from the rocks, or like a termite nest. I like that.

I need to spend some time in my 3d program modeling a new cliff. Sort this out.

I like the situation. I get excited when I get an idea I like, that get me out of a lengthy period of no imagination.
And I have no hurry to finish the diorama. No deadline.

So I want a Dejarik-café, as I have written before. I also want a speeder seller/repair-shop.

Onward!
arpurchase
#169 Posted : 19 October 2018 07:09:07

BigGrin Some nice ideas going on here cant wait to see where you go with it

Lundin
#170 Posted : 30 October 2018 21:29:44

I made a new sketch today.

I like the top one, a section of the rooms, carved from the rock. Just needs some levels to make it interesting.

The front view is too much Flintstones. Laugh But it lacks all the pipes and detailing like that. It will look better covered with that.
I did add a moisture-farm-thingy on top and some sort of structure. And grass. Not sure about grass. I have never done flocking so I do want to try it. Maybe not on this project. We'll see.

I bought Battlefront 2 some time ago, I finally installed it and started to play it a few weekends ago. Lots of inspiration in that game for the buildings and cliffs I want to add. I take tons of screenshots.

I cleaned out several bags of cardboard clippings and leftovers last weekend. I now have space to start physically working on the cliffs or the ship again. And produce new trash that will soon fill every corner of my house. Again. Crying
Lundin
#171 Posted : 01 November 2018 00:40:33

I have played a bit with a cliff in 3d tonight. Just for fun, wanted to try some ideas. I tried many different rock, plaster, and bricktextures on the cliff.
Many of the renderings turned out interesting I think.

After seing the results I want to combine a few of them, like painted parts on the rock, like big letters or signs.
arpurchase
#172 Posted : 01 November 2018 07:36:20

BigGrin Some cool images there now which one to chooseBlink Blink Blink Blink LOL Cool

Markwarren
#173 Posted : 01 November 2018 08:45:00

Some very nice ideas, love the different rock colours.Love

Mark
Lundin
#174 Posted : 01 November 2018 22:34:21

Some of you are thinking, -What is this guy on about, start building something for gods sake. Blushing

I think it's good to sometimes give oneself a curveball, an unexpected twist, that maybe will lead to something good.

It was an hour before bedtime, I opened my 3d-file and looked at it asking myself -Can I make it more interesting? -Maybe change the texture!
That was image number 1. Cool I thought, What about another one.

Afterwards the first two ones are the least interesting to me.

"Curveballs" can give you new ideas and angles how to solve a problem, open doors you never seen before. And also cement the thoughts you already have to make you even more certain you are following the right track.

I am pretty certain on how I want to make the cliffs and their general looks. With these images I had some fun but also looked for some nuances, like big letter or graphics covering the cliffs. Because they can give some more detail to the diorama.

At the Lars homestead, the red/orange walls are painted white, but only the bottom part, up to a certain height it seems. I guess it's the length of an arm with a roller, of a guy on a chair. (!)
I always liked that look.
And the reason is probably to lower the temperature at the bottom of the pit.
Lundin
#175 Posted : 05 November 2018 00:53:24

Today I started to cut up the smallest of the cardboard cliffs I made.

I used a laser level to get horisontal guidelines around it. The distance between the lines are about the height of a person at scale 1:43.
With the guides I can easier see how high rooms inside the cliff need to be. And doorways, gates and windows needs to be. If there will be windows, more like openings.

And then I lowered parts of the top surface to make it more interesting.
I have been bothered by the flat tops, should they be covered with grass or not. Or small rocks?
This way I get an interesting look, narrow sunken "pathways" and grass around them.
And it will be easier to place objects like huts and moisturefarms when there is some logic going on up there.
I don't think that idea would have come to me unless I sat here with the physical cliff in my lap.

I will sketch with a pen directly onto the cliff and that way plan how I want it to look and what parts to cut away.
But I don't think I can remove that much cardboard without making it too weak.
We'll see.
Markwarren
#176 Posted : 05 November 2018 08:38:10

Nice work on the cliff. There is nothing wrong with preparation and putting ideas down.

Look forward to seeing this progress.

Mark
Lundin
#177 Posted : 10 November 2018 17:36:36

I have been cutting small pieces from the cardboard cliff and adding floors and walls every day this week. And before going to bed put it next to me just to have a good look at it, imagining it being filled with small figurines and whatever they could be doing.

I don't like the backside. Four big and square holes. I need to make it more interesting.

And the lack of detail bothered me.
My idea was to make the walls from air drying clay. But then what? Just smooth walls?
I must cover the ceilings also with something other than the clay. I need something simple and maybe repetative that can give the detailing needed to every room.

Then my thought went to the circular doorways that can be found inside the Falcon.

What if this type of girder is the basis for Correllian shipbuilding? What if there are tons of different shapes of girders?
So I made a sketch of the most simple girders, and how they could be combined to create even more shapes.

With these girders supporting the walls and ceilings of my cliffs and caves, they would be a link between the ship and the diorama, to make them belong to the same world.

And now when I think about it, I have seen vaulting in the Rougue One movie, inside Saw's place. Which is inside a cave. So the idea belongs in the SW-universe.

I imagining the settlers would loot old crashed starships and collect all the beams they could find and use them wherever they could.
Lundin
#178 Posted : 10 November 2018 17:43:15

Time to start building some proper cliffs.

The base is a 12 millimeter plywood. I used my cardboard cliff as a template.
I also made the shape a bit more smooth. The cardboard version is based on a digital low polygon version to make it easy to build in cardboard. I do not want the hard corners along the shape's curvy edge.

And I think I will later add some pegs to the underside, so that it will not slide and be fixed to corresponding holes in the diorama floor. But also still removable when needed.
Markwarren
#179 Posted : 10 November 2018 18:29:53

Looking good. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Mark
Lundin
#180 Posted : 14 November 2018 22:51:32

I have started to add layers of cardboard to the plywood base.
It's actually OSB, Oriented Strand Board or flakeboard. Had some pieces left from previous projects.

I built a level, that will need some stairs, at the back. And started to build the walls.
Also added some tiling to the floor. Two tiles corresponds to one meter.
As soon as they got on the floor I got a sense for the scale. And it's easier to see what the rooms could look like.

I have started to work on the girders that will "decorate" walls and ceiling.
I will try to make them from Forex, or the thick light styren with air in it. It's easy to cut and add detailing to it. You just have to press the surface hard with something harder, like metal.

I wish I had a lasercutter. Then I would cut the girders in minutes.
I have been looking at lasercutters, but I have not found a good one yet.
And I am not sure I want to order from China.

The taller pillar in the back is the planned height of the room.
I forgot to add my small Han Solo figurine when I took the photo.

One thing that I have not thought about before this is the access to the inside of the modell. My hands are big and I need to cover all surfaces with clay and paint. I don't think I can build the whole cliff in cardboard and then start with the clay. Think I need to do it floor by floor and finish as much as possible.
We'll see.

I like the process with the cardboard.
It's slow. And it gives you time to think about details, shapes of the walls and things like that. The model grows on me while I am are working on it.