Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Shelby Modifications Options
Markwarren
#21 Posted : 15 June 2017 16:13:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Stunning work, just gets better. Love Drool

Mark
StevieDisco
#22 Posted : 16 June 2017 02:26:57

Groups: Registered

Thanks again. One of the things I noticed when following the Official Build was the visible mold seams on the plastic exhaust pipes. I thought I'd try to some detail by removing those seams. As long as I was removing the seams I decided to remove the exhaust brackets and clamps and add my own scratch-built units instead. What you see here is the results. The pipes are all painted with Tamiya silver leaf. The brackets and clamps are painted metallic grey for contrast. The hex bolts, nuts & washers are all 1mm stainless steel from the ScaleHardware (Model Motorcars). The "U-bolts" are made from hobby wire. I removed the sleeve that the u-bolts were attached to on the kit version and replaced with a small piece of Evergreen tube. I'll explain later how I made the clamps and brackets.
StevieDisco attached the following image(s):
EXHAUST-1.jpg
EXHAUST-2.jpg
EXHAUST-3.jpg
EXHAUST-4.jpg
EXHAUST-5.jpg
EXHAUST-6.jpg
EXHAUST-7.jpg
EXHAUST-8.jpg
"A picture is worth a thousand words but a model is worth a thousand pictures" - Harley J. Earl
StevieDisco
#23 Posted : 16 June 2017 02:41:26

I made the bracket clamps by cutting a channel of sorts in a piece of .040 plastic sheet using a standard (1/4") paper punch. I then cut a piece of 1/4" Evergreen tube lengthwise down the middle (not shown) using a hobby saw. The half-tubes were cemented over the channel and when fully cured I cut 1/8" wide brackets using the hobby saw. As these brackets won't actually be receiving force I thought this method would work fine visually.
CLAMPS-1.jpg
CLAMPS-2.jpg
"A picture is worth a thousand words but a model is worth a thousand pictures" - Harley J. Earl
Gandale
#24 Posted : 16 June 2017 08:22:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent work, the detail looks fabulous....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
StevieDisco
#25 Posted : 16 June 2017 12:42:58

Thanks Alan.

Here’s a short tutorial on the exhaust u-bolt clamps. The hardest part of scratch-building in plastic is making the parts appear to be machined. This becomes more apparent when you need to make multiple copies of the same part.

I like to build more parts than I need as it allows you to cherry-pick the best versions later, allow for breakage or parts drilled or cut that aren’t within tolerances. Worst case is that you end up with extras to use on a future project.

I started with a piece of .040 plastic sheet where I scored a line down the kiddle. I gave all my scores about 5 good swipes – enough to allow you to snap them apart when the time comes but not so much that it weakens the piece and inhibits the process.

I think the pictures should explain the process but please feel free to ask any questions. Since the exhaust clamp sleeves on the Shelby kit piece appear to be 2.5” diameter (scale) I used a 17/64” drill for the clamps. You’ll also note that I glued the clamp to the sleeve which made it much easier to paint and there would be no issues with trying to glue them later, especially in the awkward position that the clamps reside.
EXHAUST CLAMPS-01.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-01-A.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-01-B.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-02.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-03.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-04.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-05.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-06.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-07.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-08.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-09.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-10.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-11.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-12.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-13.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-14.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-15.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-16.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-17.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-18.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-19.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-20.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-21.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-22.jpg
EXHAUST CLAMPS-23.jpg
Metal Mech
#26 Posted : 16 June 2017 13:49:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I wish I had your patience and skill.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
Markwarren
#27 Posted : 17 June 2017 10:39:34

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent work, that extra little detail goes a long way.Love

Mark
davetwin
#28 Posted : 25 June 2017 09:40:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just caught up with your modifications and must say that there is stunning work on show.

All your patience in scratch building the mods have certainly paid off. I'm already eager to see what you add next Cool
frah2o
#29 Posted : 10 July 2017 11:16:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Outstanding extra detailing work. These mod are awesome! Drool Drool ThumpUp
Collection active: Lotus 97T, Audi Quattro A2, Vw Maggiolino '60

Work in progress: Porsche 911 RS Turbo

Completed model: Delta WRC Martini, Mclaren MP4/4, Golf GTI 1/8 Tuned
StevieDisco
#30 Posted : 11 July 2017 21:04:36

Thanks again for the comments guys.

For those of you that want to use personalized or different number plates there is a company here in the US that makes scale plates for model cars. They are accurate reproductions and come laminated front and back. Cost is $11 US for 2 plates and for an extra $1 they will adjust the screw holes to 26mm on center to accommodate the Shelby mounts.

MINIPL8S.com
Scale License Plates.jpg
Metal Mech
#31 Posted : 12 July 2017 00:21:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice looking plates. I have a friend that does decals for this so he is doing mine. PA only has a plate in the back so I won't have him make it until I get that part in.

This is an nice resource though for anyone that doesn't do graphic or have the hook up from a friend.

DeAgostini kit builds:

StevieDisco
#32 Posted : 12 July 2017 19:44:27

Here is a quick and easy way to make scale screens for the side scoops for the Shelby. I started by Googling "1967 Shelby GT500 side scoops" and came up with several examples to use for a template. I transferred the templates to a drawing program to refine the edges and get the scaling just right to fit the kit scoops and then printed them out on Avery full-sheet label paper. In the photo you can see I made templates for both the side and quarter scoops. From there I cut out the template, peeled off the backing and stuck it to a 1.25" stainless steel pipe screen (Amazon $8.49 for a pack of 50) and then cut it out using stainless steel scissors and some photo-etch nippers to trim the curved sections. You can also clean the edges up with medium grit sand paper. That's it. Scoop screens. I will probably paint the background on the scoop black for contrast and then glue the screen to the scoop using a thin coat of Elmers white glue.
SHELBY SCOOP SCREENS-0.jpg
SHELBY SCOOP SCREENS-1.jpg
SHELBY SCOOP SCREENS-2.jpg
SHELBY SCOOP SCREENS-3.jpg
SHELBY SCOOP SCREENS-4.jpg
SHELBY SCOOP SCREENS-5.jpg
SHELBY SCOOP SCREENS-6.jpg
SHELBY SCOOP SCREENS-7.jpg
SHELBY SCOOP SCREENS-8.jpg
SHELBY SCOOP SCREENS-9.jpg
Metal Mech
#33 Posted : 12 July 2017 21:24:03

Nice screens. May have to try that.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Markwarren
#34 Posted : 13 July 2017 07:57:00

nick wells
#35 Posted : 15 July 2017 19:47:47

Awesome work...love all your detailing work
Nick
Gandale
#36 Posted : 15 July 2017 23:30:00

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work, very well done and thanks for sharing......Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
StevieDisco
#37 Posted : 18 July 2017 13:36:55

Thanks again guys. Here is my simple "representative" starter made from various sizes of telescoping Evergreen tubes, a thin strip of aluminum cut from a soda can and some miniature screws and nuts. The starter will mount in place of the kit "gas recycling filter" on the right side of the engine via an 0-80 stud (shown in the photos) and secured from inside the block with an 0-80 nut. To simplify things I made the cable terminals from eye pins which just press into the "cables" which are actually just wire insulation that has been stripped from the wire. The starter will connect to the negative or "B" side of the starter relay mounted near the battery on the right side wheel well in the engine bay shown here earlier.
SHELBY STARTER-1.jpg
SHELBY STARTER-2.jpg
SHELBY STARTER-3.jpg
SHELBY STARTER-4.jpg
SHELBY STARTER-5.jpg
SHELBY STARTER-6.jpg
SHELBY STARTER-7.jpg
tigerace
#38 Posted : 18 July 2017 14:30:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The starter looks realBigGrin amazing result thereDrool top draw ThumpUp regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

davetwin
#39 Posted : 18 July 2017 19:42:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am really enjoying your updates.

Thanks for sharing your scratch building skills with us, some really nice additions that you are making Love Love
StevieDisco
#40 Posted : 20 July 2017 15:33:49

Update…

I’m getting real close to officially starting my build diary, having worked out most of the modifications that I wanted to add. Still left are the rear disc brakes and a few more engine details, although those can pretty much be addressed during the build or assembly process as they don’t really effect other assemblies.

I'm still considering running lights to the dashboard gauges and have a plan but I just haven't decided if that's what I want to do.

I kept the body modifications to a minimum and I hope I don’t upset any Mustang or Shelby purists for what I have chosen to do. I’ve made it clear from the start that I am doing a mild custom and not a factory stock Shelby.

Body modifications (some previously mentioned) include removing the hood-pin locks, the Shelby badges from the front fenders, the radio antenna and the small ridge that runs down the center of the body from the rear, through the trunk lid & roof (with a small break) and through the hood. Since I’m painting the body a solid color with no stripes I thought that removing the ridge would give the car an overall cleaner look, especially if I can pull off the paint job that I want.

I’ve stripped the paint off the body parts and made the modifications mentioned above and have applied a working coat of primer to all parts. Much wet-sanding with 600 grit sandpaper followed and more primer. Stripping the kit paint off revealed a few issues but nothing that couldn’t be fixed. Some pitting and burrs – mostly on the edges – and some high and low spots that you don’t notice until you are looking at bare metal.

Next step is to assembly the body parts and check the fit across adjoining panels (like between the doors and the body, trunk with body and hood with fenders). I’ll also use sanding sticks to sand across these panels, much like block sanding before disassembling and starting the long process of applying the color coats – which will be many.

I’ll try and post pictures of the assembled body by this weekend.