Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Birdseye View of the Trinidad Options
CaptnBirdseye
#21 Posted : 25 April 2017 21:29:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

[quote=arpurchase]Blink The pen you have used has bled into the wood so no amount of sanding will straighten out the caulking lines. Best to have used a pencil to do this its a mistake I made also many moons ago apart from that the planks are tidy and well laidCool [/quote

beggar! Cursing first day-first mistake. What do you think? Order some more and re-do?
Martyn Ingram
#22 Posted : 25 April 2017 21:39:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin It all depends on whether it's a top deck or a lower one if its a lower one no problem as not a lot will be seen but I would give it a sand and see how it comes out Cool

Hope this helps rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#23 Posted : 25 April 2017 21:48:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Same as Martin I think its the lower forward deck that has another deck over it so most of it wont be seen. You could sand it back to see how it looks and then decide but im sure only the rear 2 inches or less will be visible and there are also the ships boats that cover the area too.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

CaptnBirdseye
#24 Posted : 25 April 2017 22:01:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Could always turn it over and re-plank (assuming both sides are symmetrical lol) BigGrin
Martyn Ingram
#25 Posted : 25 April 2017 22:07:30

BigGrin Yep you could certainly plank the other side as they are symmetrical but you need to take the planking of as it will lift the deck up . Great thing with Deag is they give you a lot of planks

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
CaptnBirdseye
#26 Posted : 26 April 2017 08:56:34

Confused Thanks Martyn. What's the best way to do that? Steam? Water?

Talked to Steve_O about his use of Tanganyka. Think that looks sweet Cool
Might order some from CMB and use that instead, this time without marking the sides!!!

Once i get these off that is Blushing

Regards
Gray
CaptnBirdseye
#27 Posted : 26 April 2017 09:04:02

birdaj2 wrote:
Good start to your build.

It looks like you have opted to use the newer smaller build board? Its a nice addition to the larger one they make and will serve you well over the years with some of the smaller models you might go fir.

Hope you have some great enjoyment from building this one.

Hi Tony thanks for your comments BigGrin

Yes i bought the smaller jig for another project, so it will come in handy until i can transfer her to the bigger one Cool

Regards Gray
stevie_o
#28 Posted : 26 April 2017 10:54:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

With regard to removing the planks, you could just make cut outs on the plank side in the places it rests on the bulkheads / ribs to keep the deck height the same. No real need to take them all offBigGrin

Steve
Tomick
#29 Posted : 26 April 2017 13:09:39

Groups:

Don't try and sand the marker ink off, it will produce a black dust that taints all the plank. Best route is to ascertain how much of of the already laid planking will be visible and if very apparent, strip the planks and re-lay with new.
davetwin
#30 Posted : 26 April 2017 18:33:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just to add to the already excellent advice given. You can use hot water on a brush to help loosen the glue and then pry the planks off. Put a weight on it while let it dry so it doesn't warp.

You get plenty of planks so will have no issue using what you have to replant that part
CaptnBirdseye
#31 Posted : 27 April 2017 11:09:22

davetwin wrote:
Just to add to the already excellent advice given. You can use hot water on a brush to help loosen the glue and then pry the planks off. Put a weight on it while let it dry so it doesn't warp.

You get plenty of planks so will have no issue using what you have to replant that part

BigGrin Thanks Dave, i will see how i get on.

Regards
Gray
CaptnBirdseye
#32 Posted : 27 April 2017 11:18:40

Tomick wrote:
Don't try and sand the marker ink off, it will produce a black dust that taints all the plank. Best route is to ascertain how much of of the already laid planking will be visible and if very apparent, strip the planks and re-lay with new.

Hi MrT
If it is the lower bow deck, could i not just plank over it? I took the plunge and ordered some tanganyka (1mm), so thought it might cover.

Regards
Gray
birdaj2
#33 Posted : 27 April 2017 11:59:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gray

I guess to things to consider.

1. What sits on the completed deck? If it carries canon that need to poke through port holes you could be causing an issue bu increasing the height of the already planked deck. In other words if anything is designed to sit on the deck it may end up sitting too high.

2. If you are gluing over previous planking that had the ink dissolved by the glue you could find you get bleed through onto your new planking.

I think someone suggested turning over the devk section and using the back but did mention removing sections of the plank were it may sit over a frame.

That would be my choice if i was doing this and it would be just a case of drawing a line between the deck rib cutouts so you know what to remove.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
CaptnBirdseye
#34 Posted : 27 April 2017 12:26:48

Hi Tony, thanks for your input.ThumpUp
In the end i have decided that, rather than spoil the ship for a ha'penny's worth of tar (see what i did there BigGrin), i would just bite the bullet (mixed metaphor?) and ring CS and ask them to send me a new stage1. Much to their credit, they have agreed to send me one out asap.

Result! Cool I know those guys (and gals) have taken a lot of stick over the years, but i have to say i've found them first class.

Regards
Gray
birdaj2
#35 Posted : 27 April 2017 13:41:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
Hi Tony, thanks for your input.ThumpUp
In the end i have decided that, rather than spoil the ship for a ha'penny's worth of tar (see what i did there BigGrin), i would just bite the bullet (mixed metaphor?) and ring CS and ask them to send me a new stage1. Much to their credit, they have agreed to send me one out asap.

Result! Cool I know those guys (and gals) have taken a lot of stick over the years, but i have to say i've found them first class.

Regards
Gray

Sounds like the best option rather than trying to put a fix in place with the parts you already have.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
CaptnBirdseye
#36 Posted : 10 May 2017 20:45:58

Ok so here is my update. Received new pack 1 from CS ( bless em), redid the bow deck in tanganyka but didn't like my effort so stripped it all back and put to one side.
Continued with the main build. Had a little problem with part of the false keel warping, but after a bit of advice managed to sort it out (hopefully). Quite chuffed with how the build is coming on and am enjoying it immensely Love
Here are some photos of my build so far
The keel warpage is nearly gone now, ribs are in upto rib 6, lower deck glued pinned and fitting, and just need to re-do bow deck planking.
Seem to be running short of deck support beams though Confused
CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
94C68789-07F6-4891-8F34-F35197CFEF06 (Medium).JPG
33481E51-9247-4014-BD6B-24F16347961D (Medium).JPG
47381973-A70C-4815-8C81-46B683A21979 (Medium).JPG
B5DC6A52-B870-4C77-B154-E8214CD06FDA (Medium).JPG
5AFD107E-56C1-4CB6-A6B2-F53B44E0C8A7 (Medium).JPG
CC86BC92-83B2-4D68-8613-EADF39C991AB (Medium).JPG
DBB8B03A-30F2-44F3-82EB-176935481359 (Medium).JPG
5AFD107E-56C1-4CB6-A6B2-F53B44E0C8A7 (Medium).JPG
Gandale
#37 Posted : 10 May 2017 22:40:16

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Gray, can you resize your pics, they are too large to show on your post... File size needs to be no larger than 140kb before uploading.. Other than that it looks like you're off to a good start, will be following your progress...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#38 Posted : 11 May 2017 09:32:58

Gandale wrote:
Hi Gray, can you resize your pics, they are too large to show on your post... File size needs to be no larger than 140kb before uploading.. Other than that it looks like you're off to a good start, will be following your progress...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

There you go Alan BigGrin Sorry, but tried to upload from Ipad and didn't know how to re-size Blushing She'll soon be big enough to transfer to the BIG Sister jig lol! The jig and lower decks seem to be pulling the small warp back in line.

Thanks for viewing and your comments. The encouragement is much appreciated Cool

Regards
Gray
Martyn Ingram
#39 Posted : 11 May 2017 09:36:37

BigGrin Very nice start Cool looking forward to seeing the next update Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Markwarren
#40 Posted : 11 May 2017 09:44:47

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice start. Look forward to seeing more soon.

Regards
MarkBigGrin