Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
The wheel jig Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 21 April 2017 22:08:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

So in other words, If I cut a 'fake' rim in 2mm plastic sheet and put it under the outer rim for both layers, all should work out ok...

Roy
Spal
#2 Posted : 21 April 2017 23:30:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

stevenr wrote:
after a lot of messing about with this wheel I have discovered that the jig is 4 mill short on each leg . so when you get all the spokes in the right place the hub pushes down on the jig lifting the outer rim of the jig . as for the keys in the rim and hub there is no point in them even being there. All the spokes are the same size and both the hub and rim are round it stand to reason that the hub is going to end up dead centre. The jig is useful to holed it all together as your getting the first row of spokes in place as you start the second row the hub pushes down on the jig lifting of the rim .if you push it back on all the spokes pop out . So after the first row hold the rim by your thumb and forefinger and work on it like that with the jig in place on the hub . Both spoke mounting points on the hub can move independently of each other so don't worry about the keys in the jig. When complete with the three spoke crossover the rim stands about 4mm above the jig legs . and the hub should be as stiff as a board. I used a watchmakers flathead screwdriver and a little superglue applied with a cocktail stick as I pressed each pair of spokes in to place hope this helps someone out there

Having built the wheel using the magazine instructions that were supplied,i found using double sided tape to hold the spokes in worked well as did the tweezers supplied for pressing the spokes in. I agree that with the tension that there is movement but i found it was beneficial to use thumb and second finger to hold the rim and forefinger to keep the hub in place on the jig.

Al
AlecK
#3 Posted : 22 April 2017 09:20:15

Hi Al

I'm looking forward to your tutorial.
I'm not sure how I'm going to get any of the spokes in the hub with my second hand while using three fingers of my first to hold everything in place, including one on the hub.

That's if I ever get the upper spokes to reach the mounting points.

This is soul destroying. Everything just keeps falling apart when I try to put the first upper spoke in without the inner spokes at half a turn to it falling out.

The only way that the upper spoke reaches is by the hub tilting and lifting towards the outer where I want the hub to be.

I've kept the rim and the hub in their mounting points throughout.

Are the hub and the outer rim meant to be kept tight to the rig throughout the build procedure?
Happy modelling

Alec
Gandale
#4 Posted : 22 April 2017 13:37:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Steve, if you resize your pics to 600 x 450 pixels and ensure they are no larger than 140kb when being uploaded then they'll appear on your posts. This will save members having to download them to view....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
AlecK
#5 Posted : 23 April 2017 09:39:14

Just spent another hour getting nowhere with the three spoke crossover. I've come to the conclusion the top set of pins should be longer than the bottom set, otherwise why would they fit perfectly on the two spoke crossover but fail to reach the next slot.
Unlike Steven R mine doesn't raise the outer rim at all as I work them.
I've spent many hours on these and they don't seem achievable to me.
Happy modelling

Alec
MFG
#6 Posted : 23 April 2017 11:50:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi,

Just a thought but I'm starting to wonder if there has been two different batches of spokes or hubs sent out? it seems as though some people are having a lot of trouble with this 3 x pattern and suggesting that the spokes are incorrect while others seem to preform this task in a fairly straight forward manor surly if they were the same then it would be the same experience for all?

just thinking out loud

May.
roymattblack
#7 Posted : 23 April 2017 12:18:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Righty ho - this whole post has been edited.

I'm going to have a go using the parts from the test sub.
I'm assuming these bits will still be the same.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Roy.
AlecK
#8 Posted : 23 April 2017 12:23:36

Hi Roy

I'm a bit unclear on a couple of your points. What do you mean, when the assembly is turned over? surely it remains on the jig for all the spokes in part 4, it's just that the second set point the opposite way and have to cross three spokes?

Cheers, Alec
Happy modelling

Alec
roymattblack
#9 Posted : 23 April 2017 12:35:38

Apologies - I've edited my previous post completely...

Roy.
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 23 April 2017 14:50:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi All

I have just assembled the test wheel spokes on the jig provided and found that when the first layer of spokes has been fitted on the jig the wheel will lay flat on the outer ring but as you add the second row the outer rim will lift.

This is what I did, I placed the first set of spokes in position and turned the outer rim slightly to tension the spokes making sure the heads in the hub are flush with the hub rim.

I then started to add the second row and here's where it gets tricky to keep the spokes in position the outer rim will want to lift by a couple of millimetres. I did not need to push on the centre hub but found that holding the outer rim in the position it wants to lift too all the spokes dropped in there correct positions and I then added the holding rim fixing it with the screws provided.

If your unlucky enough to have a couple move it is possible to loosen off the screw by a couple of turns on the area concerned and use the tweezers to reset the spokes.

Hope this helps.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Spal
#11 Posted : 23 April 2017 20:47:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

stevenr wrote:
think the hole idea of the build is to build up the tension in the wheel bit by bit and when you add the last spokes it applies the lateral tension very well designed

I agree Steven it's a very well designed wheel.

Al
stevenr
#12 Posted : 02 May 2017 13:02:04

no more waffle good luck all
KayJay45
#13 Posted : 03 May 2017 18:54:35

I spent hours on the spokes, seems like 3 days gone. First time I assembled the wheel, the hub was loose with a lot of lateral play. Reading other members notes on this forum, I realised I only was crossing 2 spokes and not the 3 that should be. So started again using the jig and double sided tape as per instructions, when I did the second row of spokes, trying to seat pair by pair with a small flat blade screw driver, as fast as I seated a pair one side, something poped out the other side. As others have mentioned the outer rim is trying to rise from the jig. At this stage I dispensed with the jig and seated the outer rim on the rubber tyre, and started re-seating all again, this time the central hub was able to find its own level. The wheel is now fine and tight and awaiting issue 5 for the final spokes. Well worth it in the end.
Ken
Current build: deAg Jaguar e-Type
mattsr
#14 Posted : 03 May 2017 20:26:47

KayJay45 wrote:
I spent hours on the spokes, seems like 3 days gone. First time I assembled the wheel, the hub was loose with a lot of lateral play. Reading other members notes on this forum, I realised I only was crossing 2 spokes and not the 3 that should be. So started again using the jig and double sided tape as per instructions, when I did the second row of spokes, trying to seat pair by pair with a small flat blade screw driver, as fast as I seated a pair one side, something poped out the other side. As others have mentioned the outer rim is trying to rise from the jig. At this stage I dispensed with the jig and seated the outer rim on the rubber tyre, and started re-seating all again, this time the central hub was able to find its own level. The wheel is now fine and tight and awaiting issue 5 for the final spokes. Well worth it in the end.

I don't understand this thing about the outer rim rising from the jig. My hub was firmly secured on the jig, and the rim was then taped to it. I had no such problems. I reckon the whole thing took about two hours to complete. Confused
Spal
#15 Posted : 03 May 2017 20:31:19

KayJay45 wrote:

Glad to hear you got it sorted, have a look at my wheel tutorial as it may help with issue 5.

Al

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=23122
KayJay45
#16 Posted : 04 May 2017 17:26:55

Thanks Al, will look again when I get my issue 5 spokes. Thanks to this forum and reading other trials and tribulations, I do not think I would ever have got it right.
Ken
Current build: deAg Jaguar e-Type
mattsr
#17 Posted : 04 May 2017 19:20:51

KayJay45 wrote:
Thanks Al, will look again when I get my issue 5 spokes. Thanks to this forum and reading other trials and tribulations, I do not think I would ever have got it right.

Glad you got it sorted in the end! Cool

I just thought something that might help with the rim lifting on one side- when I fitted the spokes I didn't go round as the instructions say, but fitted them on alternate sides of the hub to even out the tension. You might find that will help when you come to the other wheels.
Coser
#18 Posted : 08 May 2017 10:19:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Ohhh boy. That was a right weekend. Don't really know what happened, but I am one of those who had been having trouble with spoking the wheel. Every time I tried I ended up with only two crossover points.

Then last Saturday the package with parts 5 and 6 arrived. I was going to give it another go before regretfully cancelling my subscription.

Started with the lower layer of main spokes from issue 4, 3 in a row covering the area above one of the 'legs' on the jig, turn the jig 90° do the same for the new 'leg. Repeat until I had all 4 'legs' done.

Then start with a single in the upper layer covering all 3 lower spokes. First one went in quite easily, but the hub centre was obviously pulling in that direction.

Went to the opposite side to even out the stress, couldn't get anywhere near. Went to take out the first and noticed something for the first time. The spoke I had installed in the upper layer was not sitting correctly. The only point it made contact was at the very end, the angle was too tight.

Took it and the remaining spokes, set the angle nearer to 90° with a pair of pliers, and they all went in.

All part 4 spokes are now in the correct pattern and the hub doesn't move. Great, now I can move on to part 5. So that is what I decided to do Sunday morning.

Fast forward to Sunday lunchtime. 140m3 of Blue Air, Blood, Sweat, and yes even Tears later and I can't get any of the new spokes to go in. Tried it all ways. First one's good, but can't get the second in for love nor money. Never sure if I was doing it right as that part of my hub rotates 360°, so I could never be sure the first one I was putting in was going to the right hole. Ended up tipping my work box over. Screwdrivers, screws, decals, and small parts from R2-D2, the Delorean, and the Jag, all over the floor!

Was ready to call it a day. Nothing done all day, migraine coming on, feeling sick. Got it all tidied away, watched some of season 2 of "Arrow" again.

But I really can't stand giving up on anything. so 10PM last night, tried again. Quarter of an hour later, had quarter of the wheel done. Can't explain what changed, why everything went wrong during the day, but was fairly easy at that time of night. (Yes I can, I'm a Vampire LOL )

Used every spoke I could find - and will admit there may be an 'A' and a 'B' which I have temporarily mislaid - but am still two of each short. Looks like I am going to have to call CS at lunchtime after all, but at least it's to ask for more spokes now, not cancel the sub.
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
roymattblack
#19 Posted : 08 May 2017 10:51:29

I have no answer as to why some are finding the wheels a problem and others aren't, as we are all getting the same stuff in the post.

I've built two wheel 'outers' now, the test parts and the 'new' parts - awaiting pack 5 for the inner bits.
Both wheels went together fairly easily. Indeed, the second one took about 30 mins give or take.

Just keep going. It will get there in the end.
Coser
#20 Posted : 08 May 2017 12:35:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

In my case, Roy, I'm pleading ignorance. This is the first time I have ever had to do anything like this. I'm not a car modeller in the main, and although I have bought one or two in the past, I can't recall finishing even one.

But I must say that the end results are well worth it, and now I have one under my belt, the other 4 will be much easier now I have the confidence of knowing I have done one already.
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]