Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
The wheel jig Options
MFG
#21 Posted : 08 May 2017 12:49:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi,

I wonder how many people that are building this kit have settled for the 2x pattern over the 3x? and at the end of the day does it really matter? I mean in a couple of years time when this build has finished and you show it of to your nearest 'n' dearest will any of them say "that's really good but those spokes should have really cross over 3" - of course not. The attention to detail is paramount to this hobby I get that but I'm not sure it's worth the stress and agro that some of you guys are putting yourselves though - IMO doing what works best for you is the best way forward whether that's 2x or 3x just enjoy the build!

Just thinking out loud.......again BigGrin

May.
Mustang
#22 Posted : 08 May 2017 12:57:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

MFG wrote:
Hi,

I wonder how many people that are building this kit have settled for the 2x pattern over the 3x? and at the end of the day does it really matter? I mean in a couple of years time when this build has finished and you show it of to your nearest 'n' dearest will any of them say "that's really good but those spokes should have really cross over 3" - of course not. The attention to detail is paramount to this hobby I get that but I'm not sure it's worth the stress and agro that some of you guys are putting yourselves though - IMO doing what works best for you is the best way forward whether that's 2x or 3x just enjoy the build!

Just thinking out loud.......again BigGrin

May.

But I think your missing one very importent bit lateral force, if the wheel is only done on a 2x spoke the wheel rim will not be tight enough to the hub.

So when the wheel is fitted to the model and all the weight that is pushing down onto the hub, the force that is taken up by the 3x spokes with be a lot weaker on a 2x spoke and this could lead to the wheel disforming under the weight.
My Favourite Building:- 1919 https://forum.model-spac...=339517&#post339517 -

Current Build - 0-6-0 https://forum.deagostini...=351803&#post351803 Enterprise D - https://forum.deagostini...=posts&t=35768&

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
Dry dock no room to display:-. Bismarck, U96.
To build:-
. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
Spal
#23 Posted : 08 May 2017 13:25:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I agree with Ian on this as its all about the strength, you have to remember the finished car will probably weigh several kilograms so needs to be supported correctly.

Al
MFG
#24 Posted : 08 May 2017 13:27:46

Mustang wrote:
But I think your missing one very importent bit lateral force, if the wheel is only done on a 2x spoke the wheel rim will not be tight enough to the hub.

So when the wheel is fitted to the model and all the weight that is pushing down onto the hub, the force that is taken up by the 3x spokes with be a lot weaker on a 2x spoke and this could lead to the wheel disforming under the weight.

Hi,

I understand what you are saying but will crossing over an extra spoke really make all that much difference to the stress levels? on the real car I assume yes hence the design, but this build won't weigh 1:8 of the full sized car - in fact no where near it so I'm not to sure that counts and also surly the tires will absorb some of the downforce weight as well?

But hey I'm no physicist so what do I know BigGrin I "copped out" and glued mine Blushing which will add strength - but if I used tape that may/will indeed affect things later on.....we'll see

May.
Mustang
#25 Posted : 08 May 2017 13:37:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ok the tyres are nearly solid so they won't take any stress out of the weight, when did the DB5 the finished models weight was 10kg so that's 2.5kg on each wheel that's the same as a bag suger.

So when I built my DB5 I didn't like the wheels supplied so I redone mine via a 3D printer and designed new proper designed wheels, on doing these it took some working out as the spokes took a lot of the weight.

So personally I think if you did do a 2x cross it won't hold up.

Current Build - 0-6-0 https://forum.deagostini...=351803&#post351803 Enterprise D - https://forum.deagostini...=posts&t=35768&

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
greyhawk
#26 Posted : 08 May 2017 13:42:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A car model of this size reaches about 10 kg in weight. That's quite a bit of downward pressure for the wheels to take especially considering the car usually isn't moved, so the pressure will always affect the same area, for years and years preferably. I'd be very wary about a two spoke pattern holding up to this. You just need one to fail and it will cascade down the whole thing.
roymattblack
#27 Posted : 08 May 2017 14:03:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Just a small (hub) spanner in the works here...

I'm wondering if the 2-cross pattern will be any 'worse' than 3-cross in terms of supporting the model.

Whether there is 2 or 3 crosses, the wheels still have the identical number of spokes and support points within the rim and hub.

The 'lower' half of the wheel will be under compression, and the upper half under tension, when the model is sitting and finished.

There will be no less spokes at the bottom or top, however the cross pattern is built and there will be no more or less weight on any given spoke.

The only difference will be a slightly less taught assembly.
With a 2-cross pattern, the wheels aren't exactly going to be wobbly and loose.
I suspect a large number of builders of this model who don't visit this forum will build the wheels with the 2-cross pattern as it seems to be the easiest, and for those not in the know, they will just assume it's correct.
I can't imagine their cars collapsing in a year or two.

Mind you, I've built my rims with a 3-cross pattern and I'm not actually recommending the 2-cross pattern...

However. It's a hobby. FUN.
Build the model the way you enjoy it.
MFG
#28 Posted : 08 May 2017 14:42:02

Mustang wrote:
Ok the tyres are nearly solid so they won't take any stress out of the weight, when did the DB5 the finished models weight was 10kg so that's 2.5kg on each wheel that's the same as a bag suger.

So when I built my DB5 I didn't like the wheels supplied so I redone mine via a 3D printer and designed new proper designed wheels, on doing these it took some working out as the spokes took a lot of the weight.

So personally I think if you did do a 2x cross it won't hold up.

Hi,

I understand your point however won't a solid tyre offer more downforce support just like on a normal car? and then of course there's the wheel rim it's self which will also take some of the stress and adds strength to the spokes by locking them in? and then there's the question of the stress level of each spoke which is unknown so who's to know if they will hold up or not?

All I'm saying is that there are people, for what ever reason, several weeks after #5 came out are struggling with the 3x pattern and are understandably getting very frustrated and in some cases considering cancelling their subscriptions, it's just not worth putting yourselves under this amount of stress just because somebody/some people on this forum says its easy to do increasing the pressure to follow suit. This is supposed to be an enjoyable way to spend your spare time - so enjoy it!!

May.

PaulMc
#29 Posted : 08 May 2017 15:37:59

I haven't received Issue 5 yet but after Issue 4 there is a big difference between the position of the hub and the rim with 2 and 3 spoke crossover. I know this because I built the wheel with 2 crossovers and then went to Tesco and bought another copy of Issue 4 and finally, after much aggro and frustration, managed to build it correctly. So I can now compare a right and a wrong wheel side-by-side. Apart from strength issues there could be problems in store with the wheel offset being wrong, i.e. rubbing or touching where it's not supposed to. The model could end up looking very wrong. This assumes you will be able to get the final layer of spokes to fit correctly in between the first two layers if you don't have the spoke positions correct.

Paul
Coser
#30 Posted : 08 May 2017 16:05:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

From what I've now been able to see of my own wheel, the problem will actually be one of fit.

With issue 4 done as in the magazine - 3 crossing points - the spokes from issue 5 go through the diamond pattern in the middle.

If you have settled on the 2 crossing points in issue 4, then the pattern of spokes from issue 5 will not settle correctly either.

From the troubles I had, the 2 crossing points configuration means the hub had quite a bit of lateral (sideways) movement to it. I don't know if this will 'help' or not in the fitting of the issue 5 spokes, but I don't think it's a good idea to carry on working on the wheel if you can't get the correct 3-point cross required. However, the 3 cross spoke pattern holds the hub rigid. (I still had problems with issue 5 due to the part of the hub the issue 5 spokes go through being able to turn 360° on the rest of the hub - which hole do I start on, and I kept choosing the wrong one!)

The problem I had seemed to be the final angle in the spokes. The one where I noticed the problem, the spoke was digging into the plastic because it was only making contact at the very end of the spoke. The bend where it went through the plastic was being pulled further away from the hub by the angle of the bend.

I used a pair of pliers to make the angle of the final bend (the one you push through the hub FIRST and holds the spoke against the outer wheel) closer to 90°. At this point the hub was not pulled as far off-centre, and I was able to get the opposite spoke - also having had the angle changed - into where it was supposed to be. Then I could work half way between these two points and do the same. Once all 4 directions were attached, the rest just fell into place as I got into the rhythm of adjusting the angles, then installing the spoke. Adjusting the next one and installing it, until I had finished.
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
mattsr
#31 Posted : 08 May 2017 16:07:58

I don't get why people are struggling with the three spoke crossover. It seemed pretty straightforward to me. I fear we may be in danger of making a mountain out of a molehill here. Blushing
roymattblack
#32 Posted : 08 May 2017 16:12:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

For whatever reason, the mountain has already been made...
Coser
#33 Posted : 08 May 2017 16:18:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

All people need to do is talk to Mustang. He has already offered to sort it out if people are prepared to cover the costs of sending the wheels to him and getting them back afterwards.

But I don't think struggling on with 2 crossover points will work in the long run, and if you have already got the tyre over the wheel when you find that out, it'll be either another £27 + P&P to replace the whole lot, or £9 + P&P for a replacement for the tyre you had to cut off to send it to Mustang or get it sorted yourself.

If I was still struggling, Mustang would have had his first customer by now as it's a great offer to help out those still not able to get the wheel correct.

Issue 4 with the 2 crossover points was very flexible along the axle direction, whilst the correct pattern, even minus a few issue 5 spokes, is remarkably solid. I'd defy any 1/8th scale alloy wheel to be as stiff and strong (Ohh er, missus!)
LOL
Current Builds

Finished Builds
PaulMc
#34 Posted : 08 May 2017 16:35:31

Further to my last message, below are incorrect (left) and correct (right) wheels.
A big difference which could bite later on in the model...

Paul
PaulMc attached the following image(s):
wheels.jpg
Coser
#35 Posted : 08 May 2017 16:55:23

Thanks Paul. It is clear to me that the incorrect one, sitting 'lower' as it does, means that even if you can get the issue 5 spokes through, they will not stay there. With the issue 4 components in the correct place, the issue 5 spokes are a tight fit. There for I believe an incorrect issue 4 will bite sooner, rather than later.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Tomick
#36 Posted : 08 May 2017 17:29:10

Groups:

mattsr wrote:
I don't get why people are struggling with the three spoke crossover. It seemed pretty straightforward to me. I fear we may be in danger of making a mountain out of a molehill here. Blushing
Have to agree and that this second wheel topic is heading for being locked as this subject has been more than done to death twice over.
Mustang
#37 Posted : 08 May 2017 18:16:47

Have to agree with Tomick.

This thread needs to be locked.