Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Pacific Northwest Falconry (Washington/Oregon USA) Options
DougRGould2017
#1 Posted : 05 May 2017 05:37:44

Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone! It has been many...many years since I have built a scale model of anything. But I love to build all sorts of things, both big and small and complex. I came across a 'Build the Millennium Falcon' on YouTube and was instantly captivated by both the detail of the model...and the build process. I was HOOKED! I'm generally a patient person...but 25 Months was way too long for me...so I decided on the 12 Month build. I started a shopping list for tools and supplies based on YouTube videos and Forum posts. Amazon and Ebay got used to prep for the build.

Finally, pull the trigger April 14, 2017 and ordered the 12 Month subscription to DeAgostini's Build the Millennium Falcon. Yeah! But...I still had to let my wife know about 'another project' I was starting. That went fairly well over a couple of shared Margaritas. My Month 1 (Issues 1-4)package arrived on April 25th, along with a Subscription Binder, and the Falcon Paint Set I also ordered. Month 2 (Issues 5-8) were not in the shipment...but Customer Service was contacted and I hope to get the package soon.

My Build Goals:
Based on what I have seen from other builders...I have made some decisions on how I will proceed.
1) Light blocking all the hull pieces and anything that else that may benefit.
2) Wait to repaint the entire hull near the end... not piece by piece.
3) Add additional lighting (both fiber optics and LEDs)
4) Enhance the interior detail with some ParaGrafix, Shapeways, and other components.
5) Add an Arduino to control the various lighting features, maybe with sound too.
6) 'Document' the part counts in each issue and add-on...so I have a total build number in the end. I'm betting a couple thousand.
6) Take and share photos of the build in progress.
7) And the most important...do my very best to not screw it up.

With that in mind..I have been gearing up over the last couple of months with the necessary tools and supplies for the build. And now the fun begins!!! May the 4th be with you! Laugh
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 05 May 2017 05:44:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Firstly, "Welcome to the forum" BigGrin

I hope you really enjoy your Falcon build, as it seems you have done your research.

Should you need advice at any time then just ask, as there`s a wealth of knowledge to be tapped here.

Good luck with your build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

DougRGould2017
#3 Posted : 05 May 2017 05:49:04

Thank you Delboy! I am looking forward to the build. The parts I have received are excellent quality and look forward to sharing the build progress.

Now where does this screw go?????BigGrin
Tomick
#4 Posted : 05 May 2017 07:46:52

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace, hope you enjoy your stay with us and your build Cool
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 05 May 2017 07:57:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum Doug. You've picked a mighty fine model., you can make this one however you want with your own imagination. Good luck and I look forward to seeing some pictures soon.BigGrin

Regards
Mark
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 05 May 2017 14:57:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

That looks like a great plan Doug.There are tons on amazing build diaries on this forum and plenty of people to ask if you have any questions.I look forward to seeing your progress

Carl

colson
#7 Posted : 05 May 2017 16:45:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome Doug. It's such a fun kit to build. This was my first model also in about 20 years, and it's been the time of my life. Lit a fire under me to get back into it. Looking forward to seeing your build.
davetwin
#8 Posted : 05 May 2017 17:14:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your Falcon build. There are so many ways you can go with the customisation of this one Cool
Bill-Devine
#9 Posted : 06 May 2017 01:48:20

Welcome, look forward to seeing your progress.
Best of luck on your build.
Make things as simple as possible but not simpler... - Albert Einstein
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 06 May 2017 07:44:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum and enjoy your buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

pemberg
#11 Posted : 06 May 2017 20:47:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum, the falcon is a great build.

Graeme
Gandale
#12 Posted : 06 May 2017 23:01:45

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum, you've chosen a great kit to build and am sure you'll love the experience... look forward to following your progress.... Good luck with the build....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
DougRGould2017
#13 Posted : 07 May 2017 01:38:30

Thank you all! I'm taking it slow and easy and not rushing anything. But here are a few photos...I hope I figure this out.Confused

(Uploads successful...but did not get them next to their topics, so they are at the end. )

My very first shipment of Month 1 (issues 1-4).

And my first shipment from ParaGrafix.

And Issue 2 with the Quad Laser Turret with incorrect window orientation. Will need to fix.Crying

The basic metal frame assembly started. The Quad Laser Turret window orientation corrected. Cannon assembled after removing most of the obvious seams. While not totally true to the original model...they did not expect people to be able to get within inches of it to check the details. And since I do...I will go the extra mile to hide the more obvious mold seams.

And the question for the experts. The barrels of the Quad Laser Cannons are inserted into a slot in the laser cannon base...but mine are pretty loose and one falls out even. I intend to glue them, but is there any reason for them to not be secured with glue?

Thanks for your help!
DougRGould2017 attached the following image(s):
IMG_15295_small.jpg
IMG_15311_small.jpg
IMG_15305_small.jpg
IMG_15341_small.jpg
Markwarren
#14 Posted : 07 May 2017 08:24:25

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice to see you getting started. The barrels on the guns are glued in, but you may want to paint them before doing so, I look forward to you progress.BigGrin

Mark
birdaj2
#15 Posted : 07 May 2017 13:29:29

Hope your build starts off well.

That is a nice set of parts to get yourself started.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Hyperdrive Kid
#16 Posted : 09 May 2017 19:57:20

The barrels on my first issue are not glued in....all are easy to pull out, and 2 fall out on their own...... I guess its ok to hot glue them in place ?
ScottFromPDX
#17 Posted : 02 June 2017 16:57:48

Doug, I live down the road from you in Portland and would love to take a look at your progress. I'm waiting for my first shipment of Falcon parts.
darbyvet
#18 Posted : 02 June 2017 17:49:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Welcome to the forum Scott,
I am one of the forum support for USA.let me know if I can help in any way.I hope you will consider posting a build diary.It would be great to see another USA falcon build on the forum.

MTFBWY
Carl

Metal Mech
#19 Posted : 02 June 2017 19:08:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hey there Scott, welcome to the forum. I am the other forum support member for the US. I will also be here to help the best can. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this kit.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
DougRGould2017
#20 Posted : 02 June 2017 22:59:21

Hi Scott! Welcome to the wonderful world of Star Wars and the 'Build the Millennium Falcon' experience. BigGrin It would be great to get together and show you what I have.

But...

My Month 2 (issues 5-8) package has been on backorder. Sad It contains some critical pieces needed to proceed with the interior assembly. So not much done there.

On the good side, I have received months 3 & 4 (issues 9 - 16) on time (end of May)...and have built out about a 90 degree wedge of the lower hull framework. And I am getting ready to light block all the hull plating that goes with that. So if you want to see it at that stage...send me a private message and we can setup a time for show and tell.