Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Tony's USS Constitution Build Options
birdaj2
#1 Posted : 23 May 2017 17:47:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This will be the location for myvtake on the USS Constitution build.

When i saw this kit mentioned it just struck all the right chords for me and i knew this was one for me.

The Vasa that is also due for release soon was also a possibility but for reasons even i cannot fully understand its this one that greatly appeals to me. Its one of those moments you look at something and just know its what you want.

Not decided yet what my diary will look like because i am concious if i go "overboard" on my take on detailing it could lead others down an incorrect path and i would not want to do that.

So chances are my updates will consist of finished section pictures rather than technique pictures.

Really looking forward to getting going on this one and really interested in seeing what the magazine content will be as both the Victory and Sovereign of the Seas provided wonderful historical reference.

Good luck to everyone that opts in on this one.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 23 May 2017 20:57:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin should be a great build and will look forward to the start of the buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

MFG
#3 Posted : 23 May 2017 22:33:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi,

Good to see that you are building her as well Tony, I'll be following your diary with interest

May.
magpie1832
#4 Posted : 25 May 2017 19:23:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Be good to see your build Tony. Look forward to it.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

birdaj2
#5 Posted : 25 May 2017 19:40:54

Chris/May

Many thanks.

Going to try my very best to try and not get diverted or distracted by other things Confused

From the ealier pictures and details Tomick posted it looks avery nice model. Not sure who they have commissioned to produce it for them though.

Just over a week to wait now BigGrin to get my order in.

Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
tigerace
#6 Posted : 25 May 2017 19:43:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Will be following TonyBigGrin hope you enjoy it looks a nice subjectCool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

darbyvet
#7 Posted : 25 May 2017 19:56:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Excellent another Constitution to follow.Now I have another excuse for a weekend in Boston this summer to get reference pics for my UK buddies May and Tony BigGrin

Carl

Nytetrain
#8 Posted : 25 May 2017 20:11:19

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This will be like waiting for the Mustang to be released in the US all over again.Flapper Flapper Flapper I am going to definitely subscribe to this one. Good luck with your build Tony. I will watch closely.BigGrin
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
ian smith
#9 Posted : 03 June 2017 15:05:37

Look forward to seeing your build Tony. Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
birdaj2
#10 Posted : 03 June 2017 15:23:25

Ian

Many thanks.

All set to get my subscription in on monday when it goes live BigGrin
Happy Modelling

Garth
#11 Posted : 05 June 2017 08:01:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Tony,
Looking forward to following your build.
The USS Constitution is one of my favorite sailing ships. I have fond memories of building the Revell kit when I was about 12 years old.
I really hope this kit is made available in South Africa.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
birdaj2
#12 Posted : 05 June 2017 08:13:52

Garth

I hope you do get the opportunity to get hold of this one as looking at your victory i know you would do a fantastic job on this one.
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#13 Posted : 14 June 2017 15:24:09

Well i have been watching the system like a hawk waiting for this to appear and appear it did this afternoon.

Seems you have the option of a12 or 24 month subscription so i have opted for the 24 month which i hope matches the official build otherwise i am going to be soon out of date following that.

Its all fingers crossed now that this subscription starts without any of the previous issues I had and i am looking forward to starting my build of this one.

"Dry dock" is all set up to go so i will try and post some pictures of that in the next few ( back in the office tomorrow for high level talks so time will be limited until the weekend)
Happy Modelling

Tomick
#14 Posted : 14 June 2017 15:35:59

Groups:

The official build is the 12 month option though will likely overun 12 months in terms of completion.

The option you have selected is 24 months, therefore will be 24 months before you receive the final pack!
birdaj2
#15 Posted : 14 June 2017 16:09:53

Tomick wrote:
The official build is the 12 month option though will likely overun 12 months in terms of completion.

The option you have selected is 24 months, therefore will be 24 months before you receive the final pack!

Tomick

Ok thanks for that.

I think i will stick with what i have ie the 24 month option. Who knows what other kits might arrive in that time and a lower cost over a longer period frees up some cash just in case.

I have no problems with the time period over which to build this one.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#16 Posted : 15 June 2017 21:07:19

Email just in today to say payment for the first installment has been taken.

All moving in the right direction and with the discount on the first pack only costing £9.99 its a bargain so for anyone thinking about this one i would say give it a go. BigGrin
Happy Modelling

CaptnBirdseye
#17 Posted : 16 June 2017 11:32:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tony BigGrin
Good luck with your build, and will be following with interest. Do you know if it is single or double planked?
Regards
Gray Cool
birdaj2
#18 Posted : 16 June 2017 11:41:09

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
Hi Tony BigGrin
Good luck with your build, and will be following with interest. Do you know if it is single or double planked?
Regards
Gray Cool

Gray

I have not come across any details but would think would be a double planked kit. That is just assuming based on its size but i could be proved incorrect.

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#19 Posted : 24 June 2017 18:03:57

SATURDAY 24th June 2017 USS CONSTITUTION

THOUGHTS AND IDEAS

When I first saw mention that DeAgostini were to park work the USS Constitution I just knew it was a model I would love to have an attempt at.

I have subscribed to the 24 months option rather than the 12 months option in order to give myself a smaller cash outlay each month and also to allow me some extra build time before the next instalment arrives.
I was surprised to find the first pack of parts arrived earlier in the week and as keen as I have been to get started its only today that I have been able to sit down and look at what has been sent and to make a start.

Over the last week I have been very carefully considering how to present my build diary because what I do not want to do is find people have followed something I have done, which in turn may prove to be incorrect, and in turn affect their own build.

I did feel rather guilty when I started my Jaguar build (now cancelled) as I made a couple of errors in particular with the wheel and I think because people had followed what I had done they in turn “damaged” their own build. And causing someone else to damage their own model because of my own foolish mistakes did upset me.

I had considered just posting completed pictures after each build stage but that may not prove of much interest so instead I have decided I will try and show some of the techniques I have used, things I consider are worth looking out for and a few modifications I have in mind for this one.

BUT FIRST:

DISCLAIMER:

Anyone following my build must realise that it is just that - “My Build”. There may be changes I make or sequence changes I decide work better for me that in the end do not work out as planned.

You are more than welcome to look at what I am doing, comment by all means (good or bad I do not mind) but please remember if you are building this model you will have your own build instructions as well as the official build being built by Andy Purchase, so please do not be lead astray by anything I am trying to do.

So, What Am I Considering to do Differently?

1. Well one of the major enhancements I would like to try (and at this stage nothing is firm) is to have a go at coppering the lower hull.

I have already found the size of the original copper tiles used on the full-size ship and have scaled these down to 1:76 scale. Unfortunately, I have now been able to get a 100% match in commercially available products but have come to as close a match as is possible with 2 products I have sampled.

The closest match I have found is not one of the cheapest when you look at the number of tiles that may be required and while that is something I could overlook the actual construction of these pieces is not that great.

Another area I am exploring is to follow the instructions I have in a Model Expo Syren kit in which Chuck Presario gives details of how to make you own copper tile jig.

2. Deck Planking as I have done in the past will see me using the paper technique to simulate the caulking lines between the planks. Having done some reading up on the ship I came across a reference stating that at one point the caulking was BROWN rather than the traditional Tar BLACK so that is going to be one of my first experiments to see what that looks like.

3. Deck Colouring – Again very much a personal choice here with the instructions detailing an accurate, but to my own preferences a rather dark finish to the planking. As I say it’s very much a personal choice but what I am experimenting with is a change to the deck planks supplied in the kit for a slightly darker wood over which I have tried out an ethanol based wood stain which is quick drying and less likely to lift or curl planks which have already been glued down.

I do not think I would make a very good job of the kit suggestions for darkening down the deck but I am sure others will turn out wonderful examples, so have decided to go with something I feel more comfortable with.

4. As to the actual structures of the ship I am happy with the look of these. Looking through the excellent "Anatomy of the Ship USS Constitution" that I had the good fortune to win on the forum there have been several changes to the gallery area over the years but for me I am more than happy with how the kit has presented this.

So, there you are some thoughts and ideas on how I will try and build my own version of this ship. As I say some of these areas may not be to everyone’s liking and that is fine but for me, providing I can make a half decent job, then I will me very happy with the options I take.

So on with the build:

PICTURE 1

Just in case I “forget” what I am building 😊 I thought a little decoration of my building board appropriate and here we have the badge of the USS Constitution.

PICTURE 2 & 3

For the very early stages of the build (as the working length of the hull at this stage is quite small) I have decided to use my Hobbyzone small build board.

I really like these in terms of price and the thought that has gone into designing them. If there is one downside it’s the fact you have to build these from a set of CNC cut MDF parts and while in no way difficult it does take a little time. That said if it came fully built then this would be reflected in the selling cost.

Being MDF I use a “cheap” acrylic varnish from Wilkinson’s. A couple of coats rubbed down between applications will ensure the mdf says waterproof and is less likely to deform over time by picking up moisture from the air.

PICTURES 4

A slight deviation from the instructions will see me joining the first 2 keel parts that have been included with pack 1.

An interesting point of reference in this picture shows that the mid keel section has 2 protruding tabs (you can see 1 in this picture) and these are designed to allow the keel to be held in a very reasonable priced keel clamp available via the DeAgostini online shop or if you not sure at this stage exactly how much you might want to invest in terms of money into this hobby you could use 2 wood battens in an ordinary table vice. Quite a nice thought out feature in my view as it’s not everyone starting out in wooden ship models that has all of the required tools immediately available to them.

PICTURES 5, 6 and 7

The join between the 2 keel halves is reinforced by 2 plates that are glued either side of the join. Because the plates take in one of the rib slots its vital to ensure this join is made very accurately.

Here you can see I have dry fitted 1 plate and having lined it up exactly have drawn around it with pencil just to show me were to apply the glue.

Titebond has been my favoured glue across my builds and I will continue to use the same on this model as I am used to this product now.

PICTURE 8

And for this last picture in my first update we can see the first of the reinforcing plates glued to the front section of the false keel.

It’s worth noting at this point that when you clamp up any glued wood sections like this they can have a tendency to “slide” on the glue as the clamp pressure comes to bear. So, on that basis when clamped up make sure and make sure again that the joint is sound and lines up exactly as it should. In this case a rib will be added to the slot you can see so as a precaution test it to ensure that it will fit with no snagging or other fit issues.

How Many Hours Does It Take to Build the Model?

Stage 1: 15 Minutes

Running Total: 15 Minutes

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
Picture 1.JPG
Picture 2.JPG
Picture 3.JPG
Picture 4.JPG
Picture 5.JPG
Picture 6.JPG
Picture 7.JPG
Picture 8.JPG
Happy Modelling

Tomick
#20 Posted : 24 June 2017 18:20:41

Groups:

Good to see you get started. Cool

A further option for hull copper is to use self-adhesive copper taper which can be found in the correct scale width of the tiles, it's far quicker to apply and can be nail marked, further info at post #2 here: http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=23297

Good luck with your build.