Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Tony's USS Constitution Build Options
jase
#21 Posted : 24 June 2017 18:25:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Tony,

Great start, looking forward to building along and seeing some of your changes along the way

I have decided to make my own copper tiles from selfmadhesive copper tape IF i decide to copper the hull

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#22 Posted : 24 June 2017 18:33:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start TonyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

MFG
#23 Posted : 24 June 2017 18:54:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

birdaj2 wrote:
I did feel rather guilty when I started my Jaguar build (now cancelled) as I made a couple of errors in particular with the wheel and I think because people had followed what I had done they in turn “damaged” their own build. And causing someone else to damage their own model because of my own foolish mistakes did upset me

Hi,

First of all,

As one of those people that did follow your Jag Diary the above quote is untrue you shouldn't blame yourself for anything, it was my choice to follow and I should have paid much closer attention to the pics in the magazine in the first place and I'm sure others feel the same way.

Back on topic,

This looks like it's going to be another well presented diary from you Tony which I look forward to see developing. When it comes to the caulking I'm going to have a go at a few methods I been reading about namely shadow, paper, pencil, marker pen and paint to see which I like the best before committing!

May.
birdaj2
#24 Posted : 24 June 2017 19:03:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jase/Andy/May

Many thanks to you all for your kind comments.

I think this is going to be an interesting build as with all the changes they made to this ship it gives some great options to change a number of thingsincluding its overallcolour scheme. Think as the builds progress we will see some very interesting takes on how people opt to go with their builds.

Jase hope your tile building goes well. Never mastered the tape option which i think is really skillful to use but my closet matched pre-made tile at nearly £5 per hundred (and they are not all perfect) might be a bit expensive. Will be interested to see what you come up with.

May many thanks four your kind comments. Sounds like you have some experiments on the horizon for your planking. Just one word of caution with indelible markersis be careful as they can follow the wood grain and soak right through the plank.

Your paint idea sounds a really good one and i can see that could very well work well.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#25 Posted : 24 June 2017 23:00:27

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you up and running on this one Tony, will be following..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#26 Posted : 27 June 2017 12:40:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tony.
Great start look forward to seeing this one come together.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
birdaj2
#27 Posted : 27 June 2017 17:08:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Alan/Ian

Many thanks.

Its started of as a very enjoyable build.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
Garth
#28 Posted : 28 June 2017 15:38:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Tony,
Nice start. Looking forward to your updates.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
birdaj2
#29 Posted : 10 July 2017 18:23:00

Been a bit slow on my build postings due to other commitments over the last couple of weeks.

Had an issue with my frame 3 being very bowed so that was put into soak and has sat between 2 heavy granite chopping boards for the last week and half. Could not really progress until that was sorted. While it never cured the problem 100% it is useable so was glued in at the weekend and with the other deck sections in place its all trued up nicely so no issues there. Wood has a life of its own but most minor issues such as this are easily sorted with a little patience.

Deck planking has had me thinking. I mentioned i was going to try a caulking effect using paper as i have done before but using brown. Well that was useless as you could not see it so have gone back to my black tissue paper way of doing this.

Also played around with the wood used on the decks because i am not sure i have the skills to achieve the effect the model shows using a mottled effect to get a used look (and that is not an issue with the kit but a lack of skill on my part).

So i have changed to wood and think it gives a good effect so will reveal that in the next set of pictures.

Even at this early stage of the build its turning into a very solid looking ship.

Overall very happy with the build so far and will update with some pictures very soon.
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#30 Posted : 19 November 2017 18:01:05

SUNDAY19th November 2017 USS CONSTITUTION

CATCH UP

Well it’s been a long while since I last posted and build updates.

I am working at my own speed on this build and had initial delays with problems with the supplied Rib 3 (this mini update explains how I resolved that). And then having completed the first part of the middle deck planking decided I really was not happy with my work so “ripped that up” to start over again.

Over the next couple of updates, I will try to bring this build diary up to the point I have reached so far.

DISCLAIMER:

Anyone following my build must realise that it is just that “My Build”. There may be changes I make or sequence changes I decide work better for me that in the end do not work out as planned.
You are more than welcome to look at what I am doing, comment by all means (good or bad I do not mind) but please remember if you are building this model you will have your own build instructions as well as the official build being built by Andy Purchase, so please do not be lead astray by anything I am trying to do.

So on with the build:

PICTURE 1

Might have been better if I had labelled this as Picture 5 as it actually represents the final correction to Rib 3.

When I received my parts my Rib 3 was warped almost “in half”. I did phone in to request a replacement part but as that was never processed I pressed on to correct the issue myself.

The fits task was to soak the part in water and then it was placed between two very heavy granite chopping boards that I keep specially for issues such as this.

To try and get the part dried quickly it was sandwiched between some paper and that “measles” effect you see on the part is the result of the wood taking on the pattern from the paper.

PICTURE 2 & 3 & 4

Unfortunately trying to get this part straightened out took more than one attempt at soaking and clamping. As you can see in these 3 pictures it’s still slightly out of shape.

In the end I did get it to flatten out as you will have seen in picture 1.
birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#31 Posted : 19 November 2017 18:04:01

DISCLAIMER:
Anyone following my build must realise that it is just that “My Build”. There may be changes I make or sequence changes I decide work better for me that in the end do not work out as planned.
You are more than welcome to look at what I am doing, comment by all means (good or bad I do not mind) but please remember if you are building this model you will have your own build instructions as well as the official build being built by Andy Purchase, so please do not be lead astray by anything I am trying to do.

FITTING THE DECK SUPPORT BEAMS

PICTURE 1

Having test fitted the supplied deck support parts I found in a couple of instances the supplied wood sat just a fraction to high on the rib knee. No major issues as it just needed a quick run over the rib knee with a file and everything was then nice and level.

PICTURE 2

To cut the deck beams to size I like to use an x-acto saw blade as it provides a very fine and smooth cut.

PICTURE 3

Follow the build instructions closely as a couple of the deck supports need these additional small supports added so that the preceding deck overlay gets support at this point.

PICTURE 4

To ensure good contact between glue, deck beam and deck I decided to pin the deck pieces in place.

So no undue force was needed getting the pins through the deck these were pre-drilled using a pin vice.

PICTURE 5

And finally, this is the deck section in place.

The pin heads were made flush with the deck so as not to interfere with the planking that goes over this part.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#32 Posted : 19 November 2017 18:07:36

DISCLAIMER:

MIDDLE DECK PLANKING

PICTURE 1

I had wondered what a change to the deck planking wood might look like.

I have used Maple in the past so I took some of the kit supplied wood (A), MAPLE (B) and some LIME (C) and tried out my choice of stain to see what each looked like.

In this case the MAPLE was discounted straight away as it had this time around a grain that resisted the stain.

The kit supplied wood is absolutely fine but I am an awkward person so never happy with anything 😊.

PICTURE 2 & 3 & 4 & 5

I set up my cutter for the 65mm length of the planks as per the instructions.

15 are then clamped up in some clamps and along one side and one short I glued tissue paper which tends to be the way I do my caulking effect.
When dry the tissue paper is trimmed and then each plank is separated using a single edge razor blade.

PICTURE 6 & 7 & 8

In this set of pictures, you can see how I have tape together the 2 deck sections and then pinned in a centreline strip against which to start the planking.

PICTURE 9 & 10 & 11 & 12

Well this was ATTEMPT 1 at my middle deck planking.

When complete I was not happy with it. For one the colour did not come out as I had expected although again there is nothing wrong in the grand scheme of things with what is supplied in the kit but I wanted to achieve a slightly different result.

The other issue I found was that just planking this forward section of deck and leaving the “fingered” effect were you then carry on the planking in the next section of the build I found that the next set of planks just did not look right when I started on them.

I guess this might be down to the fact that there were miniscule difference in the widths of some of the planks and it was that which caused me some issues.

PICTURE 13 & 14 & 15

So, having scrapped of the previously applied decking it was time to start again.

This time I decided to change to my preferred Lime wood strip for the planks and also to plank the full length of the deck rather than in sections.

This went a whole lot better for me and I managed to get a much more uniform look to the deck.

Picture 15 shows the deck before I have trimmed the overhanging planks back to match the underlays they are glued onto.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#33 Posted : 19 November 2017 18:13:29

SUNDAY 19th November 2017 USS CONSTITUTION

DISCLAIMER:

TOP DECK PLANKING

PICTURE 1 & 2

I had held off fitting the final stern rib because as you can see from the pictures there is a considerable gap between the slot it sits in and the part itself.

This part has to be fitted in order to get the top deck glued in so what I have done at this stage is leave the part loose and then as the build progresses and more parts are added I can apply glue and fix it into its correct place.

PICTURE 3 & 4

To ensure good contact between deck beams and deck overlays with the glue I have again pinned the deck pieces in place.

In this instance these pins will be removed before the top deck planking takes place.

PICTURE 5

I have set up the cutter to produce deck planking of 65mm as per the instructions.

This time I am using Lime wood strips that I ordered from Cornwall Model Boats. This is supplied in metre lengths and I have been getting around 15 planks per strip.

PICTURE 6 & 7

As can be seen here the individual planks look (I think) very nice. They are really smooth with no surface imperfections.

Small piles are stacked together and clamped.

PICTURE 8 & 9

And here we can see the piles of planks with the black paper applied.

Time to allow the glue to dry now and then I can move onto the next section of planking the top deck.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
Happy Modelling

Martyn Ingram
#34 Posted : 19 November 2017 20:19:28

BigGrin Hi Tony the lime planks look brilliant. Looking forward to this build Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
birdaj2
#35 Posted : 19 November 2017 20:31:49

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Hi Tony the lime planks look brilliant. Looking forward to this build Cool

Rgd Martyn

Martyn

Many thanks.

Its been a bit more stop than start up to now butnow the dark nights are here i can get back onto this one.

Happy Modelling

Gandale
#36 Posted : 20 November 2017 00:22:41

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along nicely Tony, looks good....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#37 Posted : 20 November 2017 00:47:39

Nice work Tony. Looks great

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

birdaj2
#38 Posted : 20 November 2017 00:49:11

Alan

Many thanks.

Slow but steady at the moment hoping i do not make any major errors.
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#39 Posted : 26 November 2017 23:16:48

SUNDAY 26th November 2017 USS CONSTITUTION

TOP DECK PLANKING

PICTURE 1

The first thing I did was to draw a centre line across the deck (Stem to stern) and then extend the width of this centre line to give me a centred 5mm wide line.

PICTURE 2

Then using a scrap full length 5mm batten this is pinned to the decking to act as a straight edge against which to start the planking.

PICTURE 3, 4 & 5

The planking lengths are again the same as the middle deck with each piece being 65mm long.

Not really must to explain in this section other than its a case of work steady and try to ensure the planking lines remain as parallel as you possible can.

This part of the build is something that will be on full show so I have tried to get as even and neat a finish as I possibly can.

Picture 5 shows that half of the deck has now almost been completed and what I will do once this has had time to dry is trim back all of the overhangs that have gone across hatches and mast holes, before moving onto the other half of the deck.

PICTURE 6 & 7

While I am still a long way from applying paint, I have been looking at what would suit the colour scheme and looking ahead in the instructions it is very much a personal choice as no actual paint brands or reference numbers are given.

Model Expo based in the USA sell a paint set for their own version of the USS Constitution. They list their paint range as “Historically accurate colours that have been specially formulated for wooden models”.

So as there were some other items I wanted to order it made sense to add some of the colours from the Constitution paint set and in these 2 pictures you can see what they supply as “Bulwarks Green”.

I am hoping that over the course of the next week I can get the remaining deck planked and that part of the build completed.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
Happy Modelling

jase
#40 Posted : 26 November 2017 23:57:29

loverly progress, your build is looking great.

nice find on the green paint I will have to see if I can get it in the ukCool

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain