Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Tony's USS Constitution Build Options
delboy271155
#41 Posted : 27 November 2017 00:34:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good tidy work Tony.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#42 Posted : 27 November 2017 00:54:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice progress Tony, she's coming along very nicely.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#43 Posted : 27 November 2017 08:43:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Jase Derek Alan

Many thanks for the comments.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
DaDokta
#44 Posted : 27 November 2017 10:17:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very tidy planking!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Sticky Wickett
#45 Posted : 27 November 2017 12:18:51

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work on the planking Tony!Cool At the end of the day you have to live with the model and if, like me, you know something isn't quite right, it will always play on your mind. So better to do something about it while you have the chance.

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
giant242
#46 Posted : 27 November 2017 14:28:54

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Tony,
Following your build makes me want to put my model in the closet and take up golfing! Incredible work! Your skills and workmanship amaze me. Thank you for allowing me to follow along as you create this beautiful ship.

have fun, jess
birdaj2
#47 Posted : 27 November 2017 18:02:49

Walter Phil Jess

Many thanks for the kind comments.

This model just really appealed to me when i first saw it advertised.

I have a weeks leave next week so really hoping nothing distracts me and i can press on with my build.

Its such a fine looking ship and from an historic time period i really love.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
arpurchase
#48 Posted : 27 November 2017 22:26:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Tamiya's XF-70 Dark Green is also a very close match aswell and more available to source than the modelexpo paintCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#49 Posted : 30 December 2017 20:28:48

Well no pictures tonight (rechargeable batteries have died again - looks like something else that needs replacing Crying ).

Managed to get all of the top deck planking finished today.

Still needs trimming back and the hatches and mast holes opening up again but quite pleased to have finished (almost) this part.

Wil try to get some pictures posted in the next day or so.
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#50 Posted : 31 December 2017 00:27:12

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Look forward to seeing the pics Tony, will be keeping a look out for them and am sure they'll be worth waiting for....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#51 Posted : 13 August 2018 18:22:30

MONDAY 13th August 2018 USS CONSTITUTION

DECK STAINING

PICTURE 1 & 2

I have been wondering what to do in terms of staining the decking planks. I rather liked the lighter finish left from the planking and while that finish appealed to me I had to consider some of the later parts of the build such as the gratings and surrounds – would possible look “odd” with a light deck and these parts stained darker.

So, my first task today was to stain the deck and for this I used an ethanol-based wood stain colour “Light Oak”.

It’s not a bad stain to use to be honest as its brushable and lays down nice and evenly – that may be due to pre-conditioning the wood with a product I obtained from the USA called “Wood conditioner”. Searched without success here in the UK and cannot find anything similar. I had thought the product similar to a sanding sealer but it seems very different.

In these 2 pictures you can see half a deck stained and the other half waiting its coating.

PICTURE 3 & 4

And this is the finished deck after two coats of stain. To be honest still not sure I am happy with the colour but maybe gone too far now to do much about that.

Next stage will be a couple of coats of matt varnish but want to leave this stain a proper time to dry out. Me and matt varnishes never seem to get on very well, last couple of attempts have seen the finish turn to what looks like a bag of flour being spread out.

This time I have gone for a non-modelling product in the shape of Rustin’s Matt Varnish so hoping this will give me a better result.

HULL PLANKING

PICTURES 5, 6 & 7

Further progress today on planking some more of the Hull. While I did not take a picture, I have managed to finish off tonight to the point of just having the infills left to complete.

I guess no one’s model will be the same as another and some of my infills are different to the end result in the instructions but that said happy enough with my efforts and while there are one or two extra infills to be done its all fairly tidy.

PICTURES 8 & 9

What I am quite pleased with is how “Tight” the planking has gone on with virtually no gaps between the planking strips. I did put a chamfer on each one before gluing them in place to get that close fit. A hint that was in the HMS Victory build and one well worth remembering.

What was really nice planking this one was the fact no soaking or shaping with plank nippers was needed so if you can dedicate time to this you would get the planking finished in a relatively short time I think.

PICTURE 10

Actually, managed to finish off a bit more than this picture shows with just the infill pieces now to cut, shape and glue in place.

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
DSCF2131.JPG
DSCF2132.JPG
DSCF2134.JPG
DSCF2135.JPG
DSCF2136.JPG
DSCF2137.JPG
DSCF2138.JPG
DSCF2139.JPG
DSCF2140.JPG
DSCF2141.JPG
Happy Modelling

Tomick
#52 Posted : 13 August 2018 19:07:06

Groups:

Looking good Cool
delboy271155
#53 Posted : 13 August 2018 20:12:45

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Nice work Tony, WTG

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#54 Posted : 13 August 2018 22:57:25

Looking sweet, love the decking....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#55 Posted : 14 August 2018 07:06:12

BigGrin Looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#56 Posted : 16 September 2018 13:22:49

SUNDAY 16th September 2018 USS CONSTITUTION

HULL “PATCHING”

PICTURE 1, 2 & 3

Having finished (finally 😊) the first planking layer you are left with quite a large number of “gaps” that require fillet pieces to be cut and fitted.

Its not a difficult part of the build but is quite time consuming because you have to measure and cut each “patch” to fit each of the gaps.

This set of 3 pictures show one such fillet cut and fitted into one of the gaps I had left in my planking.

PICTURE 4, 5 & 6

And so, the process continues with additional fillets being cut and fitted as seen in these 3 pictures.

PICTURE 7

One side now completed leaving one more side to finish off.

PICTURE 8, 9, 10 & 11

In a couple of places I found it easier to cut back some of the previously installed planking in order to fit a full width plank rather than try and taper one to fit. PICTURE 8 shows one such area cut to shape and as can be seen here the infill plank will rest on a frame at either end.

Because this area of the hull has a curve to it we need to ensure that the short piece of plank follows that curve as closely as possible so the easiest way of doing this was to employ a set of planking nippers to crimp the back of the plank infill.

Pictures 9, 10 and 11 shows how this process imparts a very gentle curve to the patch.

This part was then glued and pinned into place.

PICTURE 12

Having cut many of the infill pieces you start to find that some of the offcuts you are left with fit nicely into some of the remaining gaps.
And with that we finish the first hull planking. Still needs some filler and sanding down but this is a major part of the build finally completed (yippy 😊)

BOW FILLERS

PICTURES 13, 14 & 16

I really like the way this has been designed as having the bow and stern made up of shaped infills at a later stage does (in my view) make the first hull planking a whole lot easier. Also, when the bow and stern are finally completed you will have a nice solid surface onto which to fix the second planking. In effect it creates the sort of base layer that some modellers use where they would infill these areas with Balsa infills.

Picture 13 is one of the 3 frames holding the Bow formers.

Picture 14 shows the parts all numbered but as you can see I started off with the fret the wrong way around and started to number the parts incorrectly. Think this goes to show you really need to pay attention to the instructions and take your time. Luckily no damage done.

Picture 16 shows all of the bow formers now glued in place. These were then left for a day to allow the glue to fully cure.

Its at this point I held off doing anything further for a week or so as I was not feeling confident about the next stage which is shaping this assemble into something resembling a ship bow.

PICTURE 17, 18, 19 & 20

Well I must say I am rather pleased with how this area turned out. Having spent time filing this area (and a task really for outdoors due to the amount of dust created) I think I have managed to get very close to the finish intended in the instructions.

STERN FILLERS

PICTURE 21, 22 & 23

Giving me even more “worry” were the stern fillers as I really seem to struggle to visualise in 3D what the end result is supposed to look like.

While I did not picture it the infills go in as did the Bow formers and you end up with the same stepped assemble that then requires final shaping.

Pictures shown here are the final result of the shaping I did on this area and again I am fairly happy with how it turned out but do have a slight niggle as to “have I done this correctly”?

PICTURES 24 & 25

And these 2 pictures are the reason for my slight concern.

The instructions seem to imply you sand back this area to finish in line with the rear of the false keel were the rudder post will be fitted.

When I looked at it I could not quite see how this would be possible to retain the sloping angle that you are asked to create. SO, this is my effort and what I will have to do is look ahead in the instructions and parts to see if parts that have to be fixed here are all going to be ok. If not, I will make adjustments before I start the second planking.

So, with that my next build parts will be some of the grating structures which I have held off doing until now as a kind of “reward” to myself for getting the first hull planking completed 😊

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG
20.JPG
21.JPG
22.JPG
23.JPG
24.JPG
25.JPG
Happy Modelling

arpurchase
#57 Posted : 16 September 2018 14:10:39

BigGrin Looking good on the planking and fairing of the bow and stern if you look in the official build your stern solution is very close to my own and the transom will fit a treat.

If you are prudent with the Sapele 2nd planking you should have enough left to clad the keel and bow if you so desire.Cool

birdaj2
#58 Posted : 16 September 2018 15:36:46

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Looking good on the planking and fairing of the bow and stern if you look in the official build your stern solution is very close to my own and the transom will fit a treat.

If you are prudent with the Sapele 2nd planking you should have enough left to clad the keel and bow if you so desire.Cool

Andy

Many thanks.

That has set my mind at rest ref the stern area.
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#59 Posted : 16 September 2018 18:45:36

Great to see another update on this one Tony, she's coming along beautifully.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#60 Posted : 16 September 2018 18:47:53

BigGrin Lovely work Tony very nice Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe