Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
old ironsides, by Jase Options
jase
#1 Posted : 17 June 2017 21:52:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Welcome to my build of the USS Constitution aka 'old ironsides'.

not yet decided if I am staining this build leaving it natural wood or painting her, or indeed if I am painting what colour, decisions decisionsLOL LOL LOL

jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 17 June 2017 22:28:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice to see another build announced, have fun building whatever guise you decide to build.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#3 Posted : 18 June 2017 16:33:05

first ribs and keel go together easily. there are some laser tabs that need cleaning up in the location slots otherwise clean up is not needed. the fit of the ribs is rather slack so important you take the time to get the 90 degree angle bob on as well as the horizontal totally straight. you can see in the first pick I have a gap when dry fitting.

Next a bot of a moanMad why oh why do we think its a good idea to have location tabs sticking out!! DeAg this this on the Soliel Royal too and its a right pain as you cannot use a standard build jig. I get the reason for the tabs, just don't get why they don't do it the other way around and have the tab location hole on this part and the tab on the keel part.

so having moved my build off the magnetic build board and onto my Amati build jig we carried on.
Rather than using the method described in the instructions for joining the two keelson section I chose to mark out the first joint strengthening piece and glue that into position first then attache the centre keelson section and finally add the other strengthening piece, just feel its less fiddly

Rib one is very loose indeed and needs some blocks while it sets to insure it sets in the correct position. I improvised using a set of machine table stays from my proton drill platform, worked a treat.

First set of ribs done

Build time 1 hour. jase

While all the ribs are sexting I have cracked on with planking the first section of gun deck. I did consider using the pencil method as the instructions describe, but then plummet for the paper caulking method.
Its slightly more time consuming but if not staining the deck you get a nice bold caulk line.
Befor cutting to size I took a bunch of strip wood and stacked them neatly once happy they were all strait and legal I used bull dog clips to clamp them together before reading PVA on one side ensuring the plank edges all had a covering of glue, the strips are then pressed down onto black paper, once dry on end is also done.
once everything is dry, just a few minutes then a a razor blade is used to trim the excess paper away. finally use the razor blade to separate the strips.

I manages to cut 5 strips at a time with my plank chopper, you get three lengths of plank with a couple of mm to spare if you use the recommended size in the instructions.
First layer of planks I started from the inside corner of the gun deck half. having played the first row of three planks I marked the end point of the centre plank to do the 2 plank shift suggested by the instructions. the second row will overhand at both ends, fortunately you can cut down one plank to do both ends, which will save some strips for spares, always a good thing.
The start point for row three is then added using a set square and so the planking continues.

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4231/34572112013_fc00f45d64_b.jpg" alt=""/>

At this point my two girls decided it was time I come down from the attic and get my fathers day cards

This stage 1.5 hours total build time 2.5 hours. Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#4 Posted : 18 June 2017 16:39:47

Groups:

The keel tabs are there for use with the build stand which is available in the online shop and is also mentioned/shown in the official build for Constitution, Soleil, Felipe and Trinidad..

http://www.model-space.c...stand-san-felipe-1.html

There is a simple solution to your annoyance, cut-off the tabs flush with the keel as their only purpose is for use with the build stand Flapper

You'll be glad to hear that the Vasa keel does not have keel tabs, its design is from a different manufacturer Cool

Great start, shame it's marred with an unnecessary moan about something that serves a purpose. Blink
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 18 June 2017 17:21:14

BigGrin Hi In the instructions for Pack Two it is recommended that a dark wood stain is used on the finished lower deck. I will be using an Antique Pine wood stain on my deck.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Foz
#6 Posted : 18 June 2017 17:21:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice start to your build mate, look forward to seeing a lot more.

Keep up the great work

regards

Foz ThumpUp BigGrin
jase
#7 Posted : 18 June 2017 19:44:57

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi In the instructions for Pack Two it is recommended that a dark wood stain is used on the finished lower deck. I will be using an Antique Pine wood stain on my deck.Cool

Thanks Andy, Downloaded the instructions for pack 2 today, still undecided if I am painting or not, I might wait and see if it is double planked, I suspect it is, if I go natural wood may not stain the deck.

if it id dark wood 2nd planking may have to think about how I put the gun strip in. lots to think about
-Mark Twain
jase
#8 Posted : 18 June 2017 19:48:36

Tomick wrote:
The keel tabs are there for use with the build stand which is available in the online shop and is also mentioned/shown in the official build for Constitution, Soleil, Felipe and Trinidad..

There is a simple solution to your annoyance, cut-off the tabs flush with the keel as their only purpose is for use with the build stand Flapper

You'll be glad to hear that the Vasa keel does not have keel tabs, its design is from a different manufacturer Cool

Great start, shame it's marred with an unnecessary moan about something that serves a purpose. Blink

will leave them on as likely to get the display stand. Good news about Vasa though LOL LOL Flapper
-Mark Twain
jase
#9 Posted : 18 June 2017 19:49:42

Foz wrote:
Very nice start to your build mate, look forward to seeing a lot more.

Keep up the great work

regards

Foz ThumpUp BigGrin

Thanks for looking in Foz me too, some of the deck detail looks fab

Jase
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#10 Posted : 18 June 2017 20:23:11

Groups:

jase wrote:
Tomick wrote:

will leave them on as likely to get the display stand. Good news about Vasa though LOL LOL Flapper
The tabs have nothing to do with the display stand, they are relevant to the build stand Flapper
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 18 June 2017 20:46:55

jase wrote:
arpurchase wrote:

Thanks Andy, Downloaded the instructions for pack 2 today, still undecided if I am painting or not, I might wait and see if it is double planked, I suspect it is, if I go natural wood may not stain the deck.

if it id dark wood 2nd planking may have to think about how I put the gun strip in. lots to think about

I was talking about staining the deck planking as per the instructions in Pack two and not about staining the hull planking, going by the pictures as shown the wood on the lower hull has the look of being teak due to the red colour so not that dark.

jase
#12 Posted : 18 June 2017 21:19:14

Tomick wrote:
jase wrote:
Tomick wrote:

The tabs have nothing to do with the display stand, they are relevant to the build stand Flapper

Oh I understand nowLaugh
-Mark Twain
jase
#13 Posted : 18 June 2017 21:22:46

arpurchase wrote:
jase wrote:
arpurchase wrote:

I was talking about staining the deck planking as per the instructions in Pack two and not about staining the hull planking, going by the pictures as shown the wood on the lower hull has the look of being teak due to the red colour so not that dark.

Yes I got that Andy I won't stain the deck if I decide to just build the kit unpainted. but depends on what hull wood s used that will make up my mind on painting or not thus staining the deck or not.

even toying with ebeny veneer for the hull, like I say just thoughts at the moment,
-Mark Twain
nightwisher
#14 Posted : 18 June 2017 21:35:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent start Jase ,like the paper caulking. I tried this once once didn't work for me but I'm. Sure in better hands it will look ace.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
MFG
#15 Posted : 19 June 2017 12:06:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi,

Great to see you of and running with this build Jase, I look forward to seeing your updates

ThumpUp

May.
jase
#16 Posted : 19 June 2017 20:14:21

nightwisher wrote:
Excellent start Jase ,like the paper caulking. I tried this once once didn't work for me but I'm. Sure in better hands it will look ace.

You do have to be careful the razor blade will slice through the wood as easy as the paper, managed to trash one plank so far, but I have spares in my stock.

thanks for looking in

Jase
-Mark Twain
jase
#17 Posted : 19 June 2017 20:15:28

MFG wrote:
Hi,

Great to see you of and running with this build Jase, I look forward to seeing your updates

ThumpUp

May.

Thanks may trying to finish the first pack this week so I can get pickle closer to the finish line sooooooo closeLOL LOL
-Mark Twain
jase
#18 Posted : 19 June 2017 22:47:59

arpurchase wrote:
jase wrote:
arpurchase wrote:

been looking around at wood dye, the deck timber should be Douglas fir so your Pine should be pretty close, I have found this, if I decide to dye the decks think I will go with this one, they do a Douglas fir shade

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...-Chestnut-/281938217995

Jase
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#19 Posted : 20 June 2017 10:02:16

Groups:

jase wrote:
arpurchase wrote:
jase wrote:
arpurchase wrote:

been looking around at wood dye, the deck timber should be Douglas fir so your Pine should be pretty close, I have found this, if I decide to dye the decks think I will go with this one, they do a Douglas fir shade

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...-Chestnut-/281938217995

Jase
Incorrect if your building in its original guise as you seem to be heading toward - The original materials for the deck planks, ceiling and deck beams were specified to be best "heart pitch pine". Pitch Pine heartwood is a reddish brown colour.
Douglas Fir was used for the Restoration of Constitution and therefore currently not the same wood/colour as originally used and has an antique pine appearance.
Garth
#20 Posted : 20 June 2017 10:52:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Jase,
Great start, will be following eagerly.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.