Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Photobucket - suspending accounts! Options
stevegbr
#1 Posted : 30 June 2017 09:04:23

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

it seems that photobucket are disabling accounts, they say they dont do 3rd party hosting and want to charge $399 annual charge for this service, all i do is like everyone else, upload and create a link here. anyone else having problems with photobucket.
Mustang
#2 Posted : 30 June 2017 09:09:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

All my links have gone, so I'm sure everyone that has a PB accounts with links will slowly disappear.

It's a shame as I don't have the time to go around and redo all the photos.
My Favourite Building:- 1919 https://forum.model-spac...=339517&#post339517 -

Current Build - 0-6-0 https://forum.deagostini...=351803&#post351803 Enterprise D - https://forum.deagostini...=posts&t=35768&

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
Dry dock no room to display:-. Bismarck, U96.
To build:-
. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
z8000783
#3 Posted : 30 June 2017 09:45:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Does your ISP give you any free web space. Most do these days.
Tomick
#4 Posted : 30 June 2017 09:48:17

It would seem to be a case of exceeding the 2GB "free account" limit and having to upgrade to a "Plus account" which incurs an annual fee, thus avoiding the account suspension. $399 is an appalling cost Blink

It's a the major downfall of using photoshare, anything that you post anywhere via Photobucket will be suspended if you exceeed the free limit and do not upgrade.

Similarly any photoshare site can take a similar route, and very sad that Photobucket have seemingly done this without prior warning, though the "free account" limit is noted in their terms and conditions.

I know that our own system has the ongoing intermittent vanishing photo problem, but if photos are directly uploaded the photos are visible using page refresh and will remain for the future, all be it a hassle to do so this will be rectified when our new forum comes along.

greyhawk
#5 Posted : 30 June 2017 10:09:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'm actually surprised that photobucket still exists. I thought they died years ago when they started to randomly delete pictures they considered too popular and thus network intensive way way back in 2010.
Tomick
#6 Posted : 30 June 2017 11:01:47

Photobucket terms & Conditions state: Each member can have one "free account" which provides 2GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos lasting under 10mins. The "free account" does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a "free account" member exceeds the 2GB content limit, the account will be immediately suspended and the member will need to upgrade to a "Plus account" which incurs an annual fee in order to continue accessing the account. You can upgrade to a "Plus account" at any time.
z8000783
#7 Posted : 30 June 2017 12:22:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I must say though, I'm surprised it's taking you so long. The upgrade has be talked about for over a year now, to the best of my knowledge. I presume you aren't creating a new one yourselves. Good forums are available off the shelf these days and could be up and running on week with help available to move old content.
ModelMania
#8 Posted : 30 June 2017 12:57:44

There is a site called 'Village Photos' of which I've heard some very good reviews recently, which is totally free and allows (even encourages!) direct linking, and with NO RESTRICITONS!! Link below:

http://village.photos/

I haven't registered yet, but I intend to give them a try and if it works out ok, I'll be shifting all of my photos over to them and ditching 'Photobucket'.

Kev Smile
Tomick
#9 Posted : 30 June 2017 13:04:42

z8000783 wrote:
I must say though, I'm surprised it's taking you so long. The upgrade has be talked about for over a year now, to the best of my knowledge. I presume you aren't creating a new one yourselves. Good forums are available off the shelf these days and could be up and running on week with help available to move old content.
The new forum is not just a UK matter as we have other countries to also consider such as Italy, Germany and France and trying to make it as future proof/ground breaking as possible.
MS is a commercial forum which means we can't use an off-the-shelf forum as in effect you dont have full control and they generally come loaded with pop-up ad's that have little relevance and limitations.
Such development is at huge expense despite DeAgostini not being obliged to provide a 'free' forum, which in fact is the only Partwork company that operates such, let alone provide free to enter competitions to win fantastic prizes and a post incentive for monetary value which can be set against goods.

Rome wasn't built in a day or a year for that matter..

Tomick
#10 Posted : 30 June 2017 13:06:25

ModelMania wrote:
There is a site called 'Village Photos' of which I've heard some very good reviews recently, which is totally free and allows (even encourages!) direct linking, and with NO RESTRICITONS!! Link below:

I haven't registered yet, but I intend to give them a try and if it works out ok, I'll be shifting all of my photos over to them and ditching 'Photobucket'.

Kev Smile
But in time the same problem of having to pay a fee may come about as not much ends up being free these days and there has to be some way of funding it.
jase
#11 Posted : 30 June 2017 13:12:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

from my research, having had this problem Flickr offers the most free storage of any of the providers. I use them currently
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
ModelMania
#12 Posted : 30 June 2017 13:31:07

Tomick wrote:
ModelMania wrote:

Kev Smile
But in time the same problem of having to pay a fee may come about as not much ends up being free these days and there has to be some way of funding it.

I have no doubt you are right Tom and it's likely that there will be a cost somewhere along the line eventually. As a side note, I have just read through their 'Terms & Conditions' and I was quite alarmed to read the following:

"User content

In these terms and conditions, “your user content” means material (including without limitation text, images, audio material, video material and audio-visual material) that you submit to this website, for whatever purpose. You grant to Village.Photos a worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, reproduce, adapt, publish, translate and distribute your user content in any existing or future media. You also grant to Village.Photos the right to sub-license these rights, and the right to bring an action for infringement of these rights".

If I understand that correctly it means that they can use your photos to do as they wish and without regard to your own 'intellectual copyright'? Sounds a bit dodgy to me so I think I'll pass on 'Village Photos' after all!

I am sure the MS system will be sorted eventually and will be worth the wait so I may well switch to the forum option in future. It is a very easy way of attaching photos though I would prefer it if it was possible to insert text between photos? Other than that, it works fine and is to be recommended - as it often is?

Kev Smile
magpie1832
#13 Posted : 30 June 2017 14:26:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Will look into mine. I have 10.2 GB of storage on my Photobucket. So don't know how that would work.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

z8000783
#14 Posted : 30 June 2017 15:59:16

Tomick wrote:
The new forum is not just a UK matter as we have other countries to also consider such as Italy, Germany and France and trying to make it as future proof/ground breaking as possible.
MS is a commercial forum which means we can't use an off-the-shelf forum as in effect you dont have full control and they generally come loaded with pop-up ad's that have little relevance and limitations.
Such development is at huge expense despite DeAgostini not being obliged to provide a 'free' forum, which in fact is the only Partwork company that operates such, let alone provide free to enter competitions to win fantastic prizes and a post incentive for monetary value which can be set against goods.

It appears to me that MS is a commercial website set up to sell products to an international market and, part of its functionality includes a user forum. There are companies that provide applications for business customers to meet just that need. One I successfully implemented and supported as a technical admin, on a customer's site was supplied by IPBoard. The forum is downloaded to your server, is under your full control, can be tailored to your web style and has no adverts. They are not the only one though, there are others.

You are correct, MS has absolutely no obligations to its customers other than under statutory regulations related to what it sells. Likewise, customers are under no obligation to buy DeAgostini's products.

Smart companies realised long ago that simply selling products was not enough. Customers wanted more or they would go somewhere else. Customer service and support are not provided out of the goodness of anyone's heart, they should be a key part of your marketing strategy designed to keep customers loyal to you.

Nothing provided by any company is 'free' as you suggest. Everything is paid for by its customers.

Tomick
#15 Posted : 30 June 2017 16:30:32

z8000783 wrote:
Tomick wrote:

It appears to me that MS is a commercial website set up to sell products to an international market and, part of its functionality includes a user forum. There are companies that provide applications for business customers to meet just that need. One I successfully implemented and supported as a technical admin, on a customer's site was supplied by IPBoard. The forum is downloaded to your server, is under your full control, can be tailored to your web style and has no adverts. They are not the only one though, there are others.

You are correct, MS has absolutely no obligations to its customers other than under statutory regulations related to what it sells. Likewise, customers are under no obligation to buy DeAgostini's products.

Smart companies realised long ago that simply selling products was not enough. Customers wanted more or they would go somewhere else. Customer service and support are not provided out of the goodness of anyone's heart, they should be a key part of your marketing strategy designed to keep customers loyal to you.

Nothing provided by any company is 'free' as you suggest. Everything is paid for by its customers.

The platform being built will be far superior to anything currently available for modeller use and such as IPBoard, (without getting into specifics) being unable to handle.
z8000783
#16 Posted : 30 June 2017 16:38:21

Sometimes perfection is too much.

The subject matter of this space is modelling and photographs are critical to that. We have be waiting years for this issue to be resolved and you are still talking about the end of the year. Almost every time someone needs some help, this issue crops up.

Just seems like a strange approach to me but, hey ho, what do I know.

Tomick
#17 Posted : 30 June 2017 17:16:26

z8000783 wrote:
Sometimes perfection is too much.

The subject matter of this space is modelling and photographs are critical to that. We have be waiting years for this issue to be resolved and you are still talking about the end of the year. Almost every time someone needs some help, this issue crops up.

Just seems like a strange approach to me but, hey ho, what do I know.

Missing direct photo uploads can be viewed if the page is refreshed. Not great I know but the photos are there to view.

The forum should be considered in the manner of being a huge bonus that no other Partwork company currently provides, which could just as easily revert to being as they have - a web page of product without construction support or place to chat with likeminded people about the product.

roymattblack
#18 Posted : 30 June 2017 17:23:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I have a PB account which costs me a whopping $2.99 a month.
All of my pics are still showing, even on forums I no longer use.

Maybe I'm a lucky SOB - I've rarely had probs with PB.

Roy.
z8000783
#19 Posted : 30 June 2017 18:10:48

Tomick wrote:
Missing direct photo uploads can be viewed if the page is refreshed. Not great I know but the photos are there to view.

As someone said earlier, it is sporadic. When you refresh, some appear and others disappear. If the poster puts up 6 or 7, it is pot luck whether you manage to get them all in one go.

Tomick wrote:
The forum should be considered in the manner of being a huge bonus that no other Partwork company currently provides, which could just as easily revert to being as they have - a web page of product without construction support or place to chat with likeminded people about the product.

If that's how you think we should view it then you are doing it wrong as I explained. Where do you think the money comes from to pay for it?

Sure it is a benefit to the users, what would be the point otherwise but my guess is that here are a number of people who buy products from you that they would find daunting if the support wasn't there.

roymattblack
#20 Posted : 30 June 2017 18:13:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

z8000783 wrote:

Sure it is a benefit to the users, what would be the point otherwise but my guess is that here are a number of people who buy products from you that they would find daunting if the support wasn't there.

Not sure what that refers to?