Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Photobucket - suspending accounts! Options
Tomick
#21 Posted : 30 June 2017 18:22:47

Groups:

z8000783 wrote:
As someone said earlier, it is sporadic. When you refresh, some appear and others disappear. If the poster puts up 6 or 7, it is pot luck whether you manage to get them all in one go.

Indeed and it is something that the new forum will resolve when it comes along. Let's be positive eh?
Raphael
#22 Posted : 30 June 2017 19:12:16

Groups: Registered

Please excuse me if this is an ignorant question, but.....Could you not set up a link from your post to your "cloud" account on select photos. This cloud computing seems the way of the future, if not right now and offers more gb,s. than the current file sharing websites.

At lease for now.......
On the Bench....
DeAgostini Lamborghini Countach
Pocher Rolls Royce Sedanca

On the Shelf....
DeAgostini Millennium Falcon
MPC X Wing Fighter (as companion piece)

Too many boxes of other stuff that have caught my eye and probably will never get to in this life time...
roymattblack
#23 Posted : 30 June 2017 19:37:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

When I post anything, I just add the pics direct from my comp.
I don't use any 3rd party for this forum.

Roy.
z8000783
#24 Posted : 30 June 2017 20:02:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Tomick wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
As someone said earlier, it is sporadic. When you refresh, some appear and others disappear. If the poster puts up 6 or 7, it is pot luck whether you manage to get them all in one go.

Indeed and it is something that the new forum will resolve when it comes along. Let's be positive eh?

As customers, that is all we have. The decisions are all with you.
ModelMania
#25 Posted : 30 June 2017 20:41:18

Groups:

I have found that if, by refreshing a few times, the images still don't load up in their entirety, by coming out of the topic you are viewing and selecting and viewing a different one, when you return to your original choice of topic after a few minutes then the images all load up first time?

Rarely fails to work for me, hope that helps? ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Tomick
#26 Posted : 02 July 2017 21:41:59

Groups:

As a result of the Photobucket suspended photo fiasco, it's advisable that any Photobucket photos which have become 'suspended' are replaced on the forum as soon as possible.

Reason being that when the site upgrade comes along, we will not transfer any post/build diary which contains Photobucket 'suspended' image icons. The affected build diaries may be deleted or the topic edited to make sense.

Unless Photobucket do a u-turn (which seems unlikely), the edit/removal process is planned to get underway at the start of September 2017, thus giving time for members to rectify suspended photos if they choose to do so.

It's not panic stations but is advance notice of how the Photobucket aftermath will be dealt with as we move forward into the site upgrade. Photobucket photo suspensions do not make good viewing in any forum, it decimates posts and build diaries if photos remain in permanent suspension. Many hundreds of forum across the world have been affected by the Photobucket action.

Any individual member questions or concerns on the forum clean-up, please PM me directly.
Tomick
#27 Posted : 03 July 2017 14:10:29

Groups:

More insight to the Photobucket farce...

Since 2003, Photobucket has allowed users upload and host images for free on their servers. They have over 10 billion images stored by 100 million registered users. But have now started to charge an extorionate fee for its use, which if unpaid, means billions of images around the interweb that are now showing a host error message in place of a photo!

Hotlinking (AKA inline linking) is when someone takes an image file hosted on a server and embeds it on a different webpage elsewhere. Since the new webpage continuously requests the file from the original source server, it sap's the server owner’s bandwidth (and storage space). Photobucket allowed hotlinking photos uploaded to and stored on its server for a long time. This was their business model, and they made money from ad's on their own site, which users would be exposed to when they went to upload content.

Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things changed as of June 26th and rolled out it's $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere. That means that billions of images across the Web have vanished and now display a host message instead.

Advertising revenue's are declining for publishers, and the costs of servers to host 10 billion images are incredibly high (especially when requests are made for them from all over the www). So it’s not a huge surprise to see a decision like this.

And here's the punchline...

While other free file/photo share services remain, it seems likely that other providers will follow suit and start charging a fee for hosting files, so the switch to another free use provider, could be short lived!
delboy271155
#28 Posted : 03 July 2017 15:03:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Seems to me that this is a case of:

Welcome to the world of www. pay up or else, which abbreviates to "RANSOM".

Should be made illegal, without delay. I understand the need for charges, but bleeding people dry and making billions a year.

Confused Blink Confused Blink Confused

Hope they go under, serve them right. Cursing Cursing Cursing

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

ModelMania
#29 Posted : 03 July 2017 15:10:03

Groups:

Does anybody know how I can copy photos from photobucket to my pc? I'm having real trouble doing that, everything seems extremely slow on their site, which makes me think there are a lot of people trying to do the same as me at the same time and overloading their server?! I want to retrieve all of my images then close the PB account!

KevCursing
Spal
#30 Posted : 03 July 2017 15:20:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Unfortunately Kev I think your right and everyone is downloading their photos, you may just have to grin and bear the slow speeds and pop ups.
Hope it improves for you.

Al
stevegbr
#31 Posted : 03 July 2017 15:37:29

Groups:

ModelMania wrote:
Does anybody know how I can copy photos from photobucket to my pc? I'm having real trouble doing that, everything seems extremely slow on their site, which makes me think there are a lot of people trying to do the same as me at the same time and overloading their server?! I want to retrieve all of my images then close the PB account!

KevCursing

are you downloading it in bulk kev? or one at a time.
michu
#32 Posted : 03 July 2017 16:07:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You can download full albums in one go, unfortunately there's no way to just download all your photos. But album by album is still much better than each photo individually. Instructions here: http://support.photobuck...92970-Downloading-Albums
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
ModelMania
#33 Posted : 03 July 2017 16:11:35

Groups:

stevegbr wrote:
ModelMania wrote:

KevCursing

are you downloading it in bulk kev? or one at a time.

Hello Steve,

Can't even get as far as trying to download whether it be singularly or in bulk as their site is slower than a tortoise chained to a fence!! Cursing

I've just discovered that I can simply right click and 'copy' on any of my photos that I have posted here on MS which are showing through 'direct links' from the PB site, then just right click and paste directly into my PC photo files and retrieve them that way, much quicker. Then just a case of utilising the MS photo attachment method to republish them and deleting the PB links in the post edit?

Gonna be spending a few days changing all of the photos in my MS posts then I'm closing my PB account for good!!

Thanks for your help Steve, much appreciated. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
stevegbr
#34 Posted : 03 July 2017 16:30:50

Groups:

if you go on photobucket, select library, your bucket should already be highlighted, go to the right of the page where it says actions, it should be the fifth one down, called "download album", it will compress all your photos in to a zip file and send you a email when its ready to download, worked for me kev, do that with all you folders. let me know how you get on.
ModelMania
#35 Posted : 03 July 2017 17:01:23

Groups:

stevegbr wrote:
if you go on photobucket, select library, your bucket should already be highlighted, go to the right of the page where it says actions, it should be the fifth one down, called "download album", it will compress all your photos in to a zip file and send you a email when its ready to download, worked for me kev, do that with all you folders. let me know how you get on.

Thanks for that Steve, much appreciated.

At the moment PB just isn't loading up properly for me, all quite fragmented, so I'll just press on with my other method. If I get to try your method I will indeed let you know how I get on, many thanks again.

Kev Smile

davetwin
#36 Posted : 03 July 2017 17:06:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

stevegbr wrote:

Thanks for that, I will be downloading all mine shortly too, as well as closing my current paid account, I see a mass exodus happening.
ModelMania
#37 Posted : 12 July 2017 11:12:12

Groups:

stevegbr wrote:

Glad to say that, after many hours trying to retrieve all of my photos from Photobucket, I have finally succeeded!! I tried using your 'Download Album' method Steve, which initially just didn't want to play ball, but I tried again at an unearthly hour when I hoped there would be less people using the PB server and it worked so eventually I got there!!

Pleased to say that I have now deleted my useless Photobucket account, and I am working through hours and hours of restoring all of the missing photos on my posts and diaries here on the forum and rejigging the associated text to make some sense.

Thanks again for your help Steve, very much appreciated. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

stevegbr
#38 Posted : 12 July 2017 11:55:05

Groups:

pleased you got there kev. BigGrin
ModelMania
#39 Posted : 12 July 2017 13:40:42

Groups:

stevegbr wrote:
pleased you got there kev. BigGrin

Me too Steve!! BigGrin Just finished rewriting the build diary for my 1:32 'Johnnie' Johnson Spitfire Mk.IXc - took quite a while - but at least it makes sense now .... no thanks to Photobucket though!! Glare Mad

Kev Smile

Tomick
#40 Posted : 14 July 2017 11:38:51

Groups:

A reversal petition has been started..

https://www.change.org/p...bucket-third-party-rule

Only problem is that its pointless signing it if you've already removed your photos from the site or closed your account, as in effect the photos won't re-appear if by remote chance the decision gets reversed., Even so, why on earth would anyone want to stay with a host that pulled such a stunt in the first place?