Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Millennium Falcon Customised Build Page 8 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 02 July 2017 20:12:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Still painting the side panels and finishing the landing gear. Taking quite some time, but here is a little more progress on the fuelling pod. This one will have the wiring loom inside to power the lights.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
IMG_1770.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 09 July 2017 20:15:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Finished the side panels over the weekend and finished the final piece of wiring on the docking port for the red lighting. I have also painstakingly fitted the copper wiring to the landing gear flaps ready to to painted, that wasn't as easy as it looks. I have also tweeked the fuelling pod, varnished it and place some stencils around the outside.
Just have to finish off the landing legs now before the final straight on the remaining back hull part.
I will be customising the exhaust ports and I'm looking into some fans installed inside as well.
Here are the pictures of the landing flaps with copper pieces in place, and the second picture is the fuelling pod.
IMG_1777.jpg
IMG_1778.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 14 July 2017 10:22:51

I have started experimenting with the exhaust vents on the Falcon, I have decided to use ribbed brass grills as depicted on the 5-foot model used in ANH, as to me these looked more realistic. You can bend some of the ribs on the top give it a more worn beaten look when weathered and finished.
First, I needed to take out the centre grills from the original vent parts supplied. This was not as easy as it looked as the resin used was quite thick and care had to be taken. I predrilled some holes around the inside first cut away most of this section, before using a Dremel to sand away the remaining pieces.

Photo 498.jpg
Photo 499.jpg
Photo 499a.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 14 July 2017 10:24:14

Here, you can see the finished and sanded down part of the supplied vent. Note, I may need to sand the inside a little more once I gave dry fitted the brass grate.
Photo 500.jpg
Photo 501.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 14 July 2017 10:25:04

Here, are the pictures of the ribbed etched brass fittings in place, and yes, I need to sand down a little more of the inside, which will allow the fans I intend to insert, fit properly. The last picture shows, I have marked the seams in black where I will need to sow in some fine copper wire and loop them over the grills for a more authentic look. Bearing in mind getting to this stage has just taken the best part of two and a half hours and that’s before I sow in the seams, and I still have another five to do.
Photo 502.jpg
Photo 503.jpg
Photo 503a.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 14 July 2017 10:26:02

Here they are again at slightly different angles.
Photo 504.jpg
Photo 505.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 16 July 2017 18:37:35

To accommodate the fans, I will need to cut holes into the rear hull section as seen below. This is not easy and the underside then needs to be reinforced to keep the rigidity.
Photo 506.jpg
Photo 507.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 16 July 2017 18:41:39

Here, I have painted the fans that will be inserted into the hull section. I have painted the fan metallic aluminum, a light colour so they can be seen once the grills are in place.
Photo 508.jpg
Photo 509.jpg
Photo 510.jpg
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 16 July 2017 18:48:43

"Start the fans Please" Here, you can see the fan spinning, I have added some magnetic Neodymium bearings to the underside. I'm hoping they will spin naturally when the inside warms up.
Photo 511.jpg
Markwarren
#10 Posted : 16 July 2017 18:50:13

I then primed the outer exhaust rim that I altered in my previous post and placed it over the fan as a test fit.
Photo 512.jpg
Photo 513.jpg
Markwarren
#11 Posted : 16 July 2017 18:51:44

I then fixed the ribs to the grating, again, this took some time and a lot of patience.
Photo 514.jpg
Photo 515.jpg
Markwarren
#12 Posted : 16 July 2017 18:53:44

Once I had finished, I then painted it using metalcote paint and polished with a cotton bud.
Photo 516.jpg
Photo 517.jpg
Markwarren
#13 Posted : 16 July 2017 18:56:10

These final pictures show the grill inserted into the housing with the fan seen inside. I have also put a before and after picture as well.
Just another 5 more to do.Crying
Photo 518.jpg
Photo 520.jpg
Markwarren
#14 Posted : 18 July 2017 21:39:36

Quick update. Now placed the fans into the rear hull section and then placed the exhaust funnel Ive done over one of the fans as a test fit.
Photo 520.jpg
Photo 521.jpg
Photo 522.jpg
Markwarren
#15 Posted : 18 July 2017 21:42:58

Here, you can see I have been experimenting with a warm amber glow beneath the fan to emulate engine heat.
Photo 523.jpg
Markwarren
#16 Posted : 23 July 2017 19:10:44

Finally finished the cutting the exhaust vents out and primed then ready for the final top coat.
Photo 524.jpg
Markwarren
#17 Posted : 23 July 2017 19:13:26

I also decided to highlight the underside of the vector plates. I used some fine plastic card and cut out the piece to insert after making a template.
Photo 525.jpg
Photo 526.jpg
Markwarren
#18 Posted : 23 July 2017 19:15:25

I then embossed the card to represent the individual vents, then primed and painted with metalcote steel paint.
Photo 527.jpg
Markwarren
#19 Posted : 23 July 2017 19:16:56

I then glued the parts on the underside of the panel, then resprayed again and polished the paint.
Photo 528.jpg
Photo 530.jpg
Photo 529.jpg