Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Ron's HMS Victory Build Options
Ronjamino
#1 Posted : 03 July 2017 22:30:37

Groups: Registered

Hi All,

I'm Ron, a total newbie at ship modelling. I've been lurking around for a week or two after ordering the Vic, but now the first pack has arrived, I've decided a diary is a very good idea.

here's an album I've started in Google,

Ron's HMS Victory Build Album

So far, I've put together the first half of the hull frame. I'll wait till I receive packs 11-20 before I add the keel extension as I don't want a flappy bit of wood hanging off the model for 2-3 weeks. I'm also going to leave the guns till I have more (mainly because I think I'll lose them if I build them one by one). This leaves the launch to keep me occupied till my next delivery.

Updates to follow...

Ronjamino attached the following image(s):
IMG_2107 (1).JPG
HMS Victory : Diary | Gallery
Gandale
#2 Posted : 03 July 2017 22:38:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Always great to see another build of the Victory get underway and so pleased to see you've decided to produce a diary of your progress.... All looks good so far, nice work.... Good luck with the build, remember if you need guidance or advice then we're here to help.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Narayan
#3 Posted : 03 July 2017 22:41:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice set of pictures Ron. It's coming along nicely.

Graham
I was drowning my sorrows. But my sorrows they'd learned to swim.

Ronjamino
#4 Posted : 03 July 2017 22:47:18

Thanks both, I'm both excited and terrified. She's a big girl! haha Laugh
Martyn Ingram
#5 Posted : 04 July 2017 06:12:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very nice start Ron looking forward to your build Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
z8000783
#6 Posted : 04 July 2017 06:40:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Looks good Ron.

One thing to keep checking for at this stage is that the keel remains straight. If you see any deviation, sort it out immediately. Leaving it to later or missing it, will lead to a deal of trouble rectifying it in the future.

BTW good idea using Google for you pics.
Foz
#7 Posted : 04 July 2017 07:21:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks great Ron

Very nice to see you here and look forward to your progress.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

FOzBigGrin BigGrin
DaDokta
#8 Posted : 04 July 2017 09:54:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start, Ron!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
ian smith
#9 Posted : 04 July 2017 12:44:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cool BigGrin Nice start Ron.
Ian.BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
CaptnBirdseye
#10 Posted : 04 July 2017 17:11:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Good start Ron Cool
I agree with your methodology. I was the same with my Trinny build.
Keep up the good work ThumpUp
Spal
#11 Posted : 05 July 2017 00:36:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start to your build Ron, looks good.

Al
Ronjamino
#12 Posted : 05 July 2017 02:02:13

Wow, thanks for the kind words of support everyone. I have to admit, I'm slightly starstruck as I've read a few of your build diaries, amazing stuff there guys, I'm humbled!

So in the last couple of days, I've assembled the launch frame and after a bit of psyching myself up, had a go at the first few planks using the ultra frugal kettle method to bend them (i tried soaking them in warm water but didn't get on with it)

I'm not massively impressed with my results thus far to be fair, there seems to be a significant amount of daylight creeping in between the planks and they aren't sitting flush against each frame, in fact, some frames aren't touching the planks at all! I don't think I sanded down the frame enough.

I intend to remedy this with wood glue, maybe a bit of filler and plenty of sanding, if things really don't shape up, this could affect my decision as to whether I paint this thing or leave it 'au naturelle'.

first plank attempt - vic launch
Ronjamino attached the following image(s):
IMG_2131.JPG
z8000783
#13 Posted : 05 July 2017 07:15:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Still looks good though.

Remember also, these planks are very thin unlike the lady herself, so only the lightest of sanding will be possible.
Garth
#14 Posted : 05 July 2017 08:02:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Ron,
Welcome to the forum. You have made a fine start.
Look forward to following your build.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
jase
#15 Posted : 05 July 2017 10:27:49

Looking great

jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
NikonD60
#16 Posted : 05 July 2017 14:03:13

Welcome to the forum Ron.

You are making a good start and it is good to see that you are using a jig to keep the keel straight. This is my first build too and I'm loving it. I wish I'd got into model building years ago.

Alan.
Today is the tomorrow you wished for yesterday!
Ronjamino
#17 Posted : 08 July 2017 05:17:14

NikonD60 wrote:

You are making a good start and it is good to see that you are using a jig to keep the keel straight. This is my first build too and I'm loving it. I wish I'd got into model building years ago.

Alan.

Thanks again all,

Alan, I felt getting that jig sorted quickly was important after visiting this forum, and I'm really glad to see another first timer on here too!

Do you mind me asking how far in are you?
NikonD60
#18 Posted : 08 July 2017 09:01:47

Ronjamino wrote:
NikonD60 wrote:

Alan.

Thanks again all,

Alan, I felt getting that jig sorted quickly was important after visiting this forum, and I'm really glad to see another first timer on here too!

Do you mind me asking how far in are you?

Not at all Ron,

I'm at Stage 45 (pack 5) planking the deck. I really thought I'd reached a milestone when I finished planking the hull and fitted the keel. Been on with it since October and I pleased and astounded by the way it's looking.

Alan
NikonD60 attached the following image(s):
8HD_2552.jpg
Today is the tomorrow you wished for yesterday!
Ronjamino
#19 Posted : 08 July 2017 12:38:11

It looks amazing Alan, and what a handsome cat!
Foz
#20 Posted : 08 July 2017 15:51:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

HI ROn

Looking real good so far mate and look forward to seeing more.

As for bening the planks and the gaps you say you have.

I found soaking them in boiling water for 10 to 15 mins first helped bend them, then pin them lightly to the hull but dont glue them untill they have dried.

That way the shrinking will nt show if you have put them on before they have dried.

Hope this helps

regards

FOz