Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Deck Camber Options
tnequette
#1 Posted : 12 July 2017 18:06:52

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I am questioning the apparent lack of deck camber in this model. Camber in a ship of this type is very apparent but so far the pictures I have seen in the builds show flat decks.

The build Karl has started of the Model Shipways version show very apparent deck camber present.

Months ago I asked the same question about the Victory DeAg kit and got a wobbly response. For a build as expensive as these are, accuracy is very important. Yes, the camber can be added but shouldn't it already be there?

Am waiting on availability of the Connie here in the States and this issue bothers me.

Respectfully,

Tom Nequette
greyhawk
#2 Posted : 12 July 2017 18:35:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Doesn't the existence of camber really depend on the skill of the modeler? Shave down the deck beams slightly at the sides, wet and glue down the decks to fit the curvature your sanded, hey presto deck camber.
tnequette
#3 Posted : 13 July 2017 23:45:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Greyhawk,

Phooey! Not in a $1000+ kit! Accuracy is what we are buying and what is being promoted. Yes I can replicate what is sought but that is simply not the point.

Sorry,

Tom
Tomick
#4 Posted : 14 July 2017 08:07:32

Groups:

If as you say "this issue bothers you" then perhaps you should get the Expo version though it's far from being a good choice for the novice as it's a 3rd or 4th build. Also the Expo hull is single planked which means that planking skills will need to be of an 'experienced' level.

Interestingly, the real USS Constitution's spar deck was originally built with camber but at some point in her history this deck was replaced by one without camber. The camber was restored during a previous refit circa 2007 to be closer to its 'War of 1812' appearance.
Therefore consideration needs to be given as to which era you want your model to reflect and the same applies to the Expo kit as there are many differences between era's.