Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages 123>»
Schlachtschiff Scharnhorst 1:200 (69/140) Options
greyhawk
#1 Posted : 13 July 2017 21:38:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

With the D51 out of the way and the 2CV nearly done I have time to start up something new as I'm wont to do.

Luckily just now, Hachette started a new partwork and I got right on that.

The Scharnhorst is Germanys first battleship built after world war 1. This is a 140 issue partwork developed by the designers of the Bismarck partwork. Note me not saying Amati. It seems Amatis former design guy went and opened up a design studio of it's own.

Which maybe explains why this build is kinda wonky. I needed three issues 1s to get one where the included gun turret was actually buildable instead of being a mess of gaps and wrongfulness. So I think that's a terrific start to something that will either be totally awesome or a horrible horrible letdown. Either way, we'll be entertained.

Updates will be weekly, even though I have subscription, I'll build each issue only when it has also been released in the shops. This is an effort to get a bit more organized. I'm also breaking this rule in about two days because you get a two-for this week with all the replacement issues I had.

Stage: 1

Oh good, it's MDF. Fun. I love my wood dust being toxic. Remind me to get some new breathing masks.

First phase. We build up part of the forward framework and the body of the rear gun turret. This one has the bonus of actually fitting together for the most part. The turret will be height adjustable, so that's nice. It's a bit bare right now, but that'll change next issue
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 13 July 2017 22:35:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hmm Greyhawk starting another partwork.Thats a rare event LOL LOL LOL

I hate MDF.I am however looking forward to seeing this build as it looks like a really cool ship.

Carl

greyhawk
#3 Posted : 13 July 2017 22:43:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

darbyvet wrote:
Hmm Greyhawk starting another partwork.Thats a rare event LOL LOL LOL

Hey, I actually finished one this week. No one was more surprised than me. LOL LOL
DaDokta
#4 Posted : 14 July 2017 07:33:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I´ll be following with great interest!
I can`t imagine how your workplace must look with all the various build going on!

Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
greyhawk
#5 Posted : 14 July 2017 07:56:24

DaDokta wrote:
I´ll be following with great interest!
I can`t imagine how your workplace must look with all the various build going on!

That's the D51, Aventador, F-14 Tomcat, Countach and 2CV running along my office windowsill. Every inch is perfectly occupied by models. Parts are stored in one of my lockers.

All the ships are in different rooms of my apartment. Each ship has a space for parts in the cupboard or shelf it is resting on top of. It's not too bad a system.
tigerace
#6 Posted : 14 July 2017 12:27:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now thats coolBigGrin Germany seems to get models we don`t Prinz Eugen, Tirpitz .Panther tank,Blink now this oh wellConfused will follow you on this oneBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

greyhawk
#7 Posted : 14 July 2017 13:19:52

Well the Tirpitz was only a test. A rather nice test though. DeAgo show some woodwork on a level I haven't yet seen. The difference between the Tirpitz framework and the usual fit of frames in ship model kits is like the difference between 2010 Tamiya and 1970 Revell. Utterly fascinating. I do hope it starts for real at some point.

davetwin
#8 Posted : 14 July 2017 17:39:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Will be an interesting build to follow Cool

I found myself just sitting here looking at the artwork on the cover of the first issue, I absolutely love frontal view pictures of German warships Love Love
jase
#9 Posted : 14 July 2017 20:23:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hope this comes to the UK, enjoy the build looking forward to seeing it come together

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#10 Posted : 14 July 2017 23:26:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Will be watching this one with great interest, good luck with the build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
greyhawk
#11 Posted : 16 July 2017 14:22:19

As promised, here's update 2 to catch up with the current issue.

The hull structure is expanded lengthwise with another segment and two frames are added.

Now I already hear the gnashing of teeth about my lack of a building slip, but with the thickness and density of these MDF boards and the amount of supports and strengtheners that will be added starting next issue, I'm convinced I won't need one. I built the hull of the Bismarck without a slip and never had an issue and that one was much less robustly built.

I also get to add a bunch of photo etch parts to the rear 28cm gun turret.
pemberg
#12 Posted : 16 July 2017 18:33:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start to the build, looking forward to it progress.

Graeme
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 16 July 2017 18:41:38

BigGrin looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#14 Posted : 16 July 2017 19:37:36

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking excellent, nice start.

Mark
davetwin
#15 Posted : 16 July 2017 20:01:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Cool

The etch looks like its pretty decent quality, its a shame that they have used MDF with the wooden parts.
greyhawk
#16 Posted : 17 July 2017 09:09:40

davetwin wrote:

The etch looks like its pretty decent quality, its a shame that they have used MDF with the wooden parts.

It's a bit aggrevating. Hachettes Scharnhorst has MDF and the plastic parts could really be cast better, but the PE is top notch.

DeAgos Tirpitz on the other hand has incredibly well cut wooden parts, but the PE is terribly terribly unworkable (much too thick).

They should pool their resources and release the Scharnpitz, featuring superior wood parts combined with excellent PE. Or the Tirhorst, an MDF/plastic bomber with superthick "PE".
davetwin
#17 Posted : 17 July 2017 21:21:07

greyhawk wrote:
davetwin wrote:

It's a bit aggrevating. Hachettes Scharnhorst has MDF and the plastic parts could really be cast better, but the PE is top notch.

DeAgos Tirpitz on the other hand has incredibly well cut wooden parts, but the PE is terribly terribly unworkable (much too thick).

They should pool their resources and release the Scharnpitz, featuring superior wood parts combined with excellent PE. Or the Tirhorst, an MDF/plastic bomber with superthick "PE".

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Tomick
#18 Posted : 17 July 2017 21:27:26

Groups:

MDF framework is bad news for anyone that might want to RC it in the same way as the Bismarck had this option which has plywood framework Crying
kpnuts
#19 Posted : 17 July 2017 22:18:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good so far will be watching along.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
delboy271155
#20 Posted : 18 July 2017 00:44:58

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good stuff.

Cool Cool Cool

Definately one to follow. Drool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"