Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Scrapers Falcon Build Diary Options
scraperjawa
#1 Posted : 19 July 2017 04:07:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone,

This will be my new build diary for my Millennium Falcon Build. BigGrin I will be going back through my photo library and repost many of the pictures from my original diary. Thanks to a photo sharing site (who shall not be named), my original diary has become a confusing mess and way too much work to try and fix. So here we go.

It has been almost two years ago that I started this journey and what a journey it has been. I had always wanted to build a good replica of the Falcon since the first time I saw Star Wars. Many failed attempts (scratch builds) and life in general made it seem that that dream would never really happen. Then I came across an add for this model and started looking into videos and the forum to see what it was all about. I was hooked by all the great builds I saw online and finally took the plunge.

So for this diary, I thought I would break it up into sections and post pictures from each part of the build.

The Cockpit Interior:

So most of the cockpit interior was repainted and weathered to give it a more realistic look. A few changes I made included adding some wood to fill in the door cavity and make it flush with the back wall. I also removed the pegs for the rear seats to allow the seats to be placed in the cockpit an angle. i figured this would give the interior a bit more interest. BigGrin I also changed the rear chairs and used ones I purchased from Shapeways. The third chair I used in the cargo hold. Shapeways makes some nice add-ons for this model, but they are pricey. I figured I would go all out on this one. I also made my first attempt at adding fiber optics to the model. It was somewhat successful. I would warn anyone to not use CA glue with your fiber optic wire. Had several become very brittle and break off.Cursing I would also advise leaving your fiber optic wire as long as possible. It will definitely make things easier later when you attach everything. Here are some pictures of the cockpit as it was being built.

Happy Modelling,

Stephen

scraperjawa attached the following image(s):
IMG_1144.jpg
IMG_1145.jpg
IMG_1146.jpg
IMG_1200.jpg
IMG_1201.jpg
IMG_1202.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1225.jpg
IMG_1227.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg
IMG_1230.jpg
IMG_1232.jpg
IMG_1242.jpg
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

scraperjawa
#2 Posted : 19 July 2017 05:01:22

Hi Everyone,

The Cockpit Exterior Preparation

This was probably the most difficult section of the ship to get right. It is the first thing on the model that everyone looks at. I started out by blacking out about half of the cockpit tube. I wanted to seal and putty up the seam on the tube before I primed and painted it. This brought up the problem of having to glue in the finished cockpit interior before I could work on the tube. With much creative masking, Laugh I was able to putty up the seams and primer everything. This process required several rounds of putty and primer to get everything smooth to my satisfaction. Here are a few pictures.

Regards,

Stephen
IMG_1220.jpg
IMG_1221.jpg
IMG_1226.jpg
IMG_1243.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg
IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1246.jpg
IMG_1247.jpg
IMG_1248.jpg
IMG_1249.jpg
IMG_1250.jpg
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Markwarren
#3 Posted : 19 July 2017 07:14:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi Stephen, great your getting your post back. Nice to see your progression.

Mark
scraperjawa
#4 Posted : 21 July 2017 03:28:38

Hi Everyone,

Cargo Hold Floor and First Wall

This is probably my favorite part of the model and there were so many opportunities for customization. First off, I spent a small fortune on Shapeways replacing parts I didn't like and adding a bunch of extras to make the hold seem a bit busier. The original kit does leave a lot of empty space in this area. So I purchased a replacement floor that had the grating molded into it. It wasn't the highest detail floor piece you could get, but I think it came out fine once painted. I also replaced the navigation console with one that had a lot more detail and was pre-drilled for fiber optics. I also purchased a detail piece for the wall next to the game board. This filled up a large section of the wall that had no detail. Finally, I cut out a couple of holes in the wall near the navigation console and added some pipe details using beads and wiring. It added a bit more interest to the area. Here are some pictures.

Regards,

Stephen

IMG_1251.jpg
IMG_1253.jpg
IMG_1258.jpg
IMG_1273.jpg
IMG_1275.jpg
IMG_1276.jpg
IMG_1278.jpg
IMG_1281.jpg
IMG_1304.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg

scraperjawa
#5 Posted : 21 July 2017 05:00:22

Hi Everyone,

More Wall Details, Shapeways Extras and our first visitor to the model.

Now that the floor is done, I started working on the seating area and the game table. I altered the seats a bit and left a couple of the back pieces off. A bit of putty and some sanding cleaned up the holes so it looked like it was always that way. The seats were painted an off white color and then weathered with dark mud oil paint. The bed bay padding was painted and weathered in the same manner.

I also picked up a bunch of cargo bits from Shapeways to add some clutter to the cargo hold. Everything was primed, painted and then weathered with dark rust or engine grease oil paint. After playing around with the layout, I found something was happy with.

The walls got some detail added to them with some beads and wiring. It's not the most accurate way it could have been done, but it does create a busy effect in the hold area which was what I was going for.

I did try to add fiber optics around the seating area, but could only get about 5 strands to fit in the very tight space. The new navigation console went much better as I could feed the strands through before installing it. The very same lights are .25mm and the larger ones are .50mm. I used my desk lamp to get effect for the picture.

Finally, I ordered the R2-D2 figure from Shapeways. He was a bit small, but I managed the details with a fine tipped brush and a cocktail stick. My 6 inch figure was used as a reference model. He fits in nicely with everything, I think.BigGrin

Thanks for looking in,

Stephen

IMG_1269.jpg
IMG_1260.jpg
IMG_1324.jpg
IMG_1283.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1329.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg
IMG_1415.jpg
IMG_1416.jpg
IMG_1420.jpg
IMG_1343.jpg
IMG_1345.jpg
IMG_1421.jpg
IMG_1422.jpg
IMG_1423.jpg
IMG_1424.jpg

Markwarren
#6 Posted : 21 July 2017 09:44:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great job, looks excellent The hold area is really coming together.ThumpUp

Mark
scraperjawa
#7 Posted : 27 August 2017 15:06:34

Hi Everyone,

More Wall Details for the Cargo Hold.

I found several of the walls in the cargo hold to be lacking in much detail. Using stuff like beads and wiring, I was able to create some details that add interest to these areas. Although, much of this is not screen accurate, I think the result still came out fairly well and gave the area the busy look I was going for. Here are some pictures:

Regards,

Stephen

IMG_1425.jpg
IMG_1426.jpg
IMG_1428.jpg
IMG_1475.jpg
IMG_1519.jpg
IMG_1519.jpg
IMG_1481.jpg
IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1514.jpg
IMG_1614.jpg
IMG_1617.jpg
IMG_1620.jpg
IMG_1622.jpg

Markwarren
#8 Posted : 27 August 2017 15:16:03

Excellent work, nice greebie work. Certainly taking shape now.ThumpUp

Mark
davetwin
#9 Posted : 27 August 2017 21:35:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic work with all the extra detailing Stephen Cool
scraperjawa
#10 Posted : 28 August 2017 02:36:07

Hi Everyone

Building the Corridors

The corridors were a bit of work as there were tons of tiny cushions to be cut out, cleaned up and painted. Each ring in the corridor consisted of 18 separate cushions. The walls and decks were primed and repainted with a German Grey to match what was done in the cargo hold. The rings were painted silver and the cushions were all painted an off white.

I did a few customizations to the corridors. First, I hand painted with a cocktail stick white lines along the edges of the corridor floors to simulate the lights you see in the films. I also replaced one of the cushions with a bunch of wiring to create the look of the missing panel. Several small control panels were added to the corridors as well. Finally, I made my own light fixtures using some small rivets filled in with putty. The whole thing was weathered with a coat of Starship Filth oil paint to give it that dirty look. Here are some pictures of the progress.

Regards,

Stephen
IMG_1655.jpg
IMG_1656.jpg
IMG_1657.jpg
IMG_1660.jpg
IMG_1685.jpg
IMG_1686.jpg
IMG_1925.jpg
IMG_1978.jpg
IMG_1979.jpg
IMG_1980.jpg
IMG_1981.jpg
IMG_1989.jpg
IMG_1990.jpg

Markwarren
#11 Posted : 28 August 2017 08:51:02

Very nice detailing, love what you've done with the corridor lights.

Mark
scraperjawa
#12 Posted : 29 August 2017 01:35:07

Hi Everyone,

Added figures to the cargo hold

I really am happy that Shapeways made several cockpit crews for this model. I picked up both the New Hope and Empire Strikes Back sets. I will probably use one for the cargo hold and the other for the cockpit. I did make a few changes to the figures to get them to fit properly into the scene. Luke had his legs adjusted into a standing stance and got a lightsaber. Chewie had to have his satchel adjusted to make him sit better at the game table. Obi-wan lost a couple of fingers, but I doubt anyone will notice once he is place in the cargo hold. Here are some photos of the figures and how they got placed into the scene.

Regards,

Stephen
IMG_1930.jpg
IMG_1936.jpg
IMG_1952.jpg
IMG_1953.jpg
IMG_1956.jpg
IMG_1993.jpg
IMG_1994.jpg
IMG_1995.jpg
IMG_2026.jpg
IMG_2021.jpg

scraperjawa
#13 Posted : 18 September 2017 03:12:01

Hi Everyone,

Bottom Hull Plating

I spent quite a bit of time looking for the best way to paint the hull. I wanted something that looked realistic and not airbrushed. I finally settled on a mixture of acrylics for the base coat and oil paint and pastels for the weathering. I found a great set of paints from DOA to use for the base coat. The oil paints are from the 502 Abteilung series of paints. I found the oil paints allowed more time to achieve the weathered look I was going for due to their slow drying time.

I used the following steps to paint the hull panels:

1) Spray panels with Tamiya Light Grey Fine Surface Primer in Aerosol Can

2) Airbrush shadows around hull plates using Tamiya German Grey.

3) Airbrush hull panels using DOA ESB (Empire Strikes Back) Shade

4) Airbrush hull panels highlights using DOA NH (New Hope) Shade

5) Mask off random panels and airbrush using DOA Panel Grime, DOA Concrete and DOA Hull Plating Shade 1, 2 and 3. This step took the most time due to all the masking of panels required.

6) Lightly airbrush entire surface agaIn using DOA ESB Shade.

7) Mask off and airbrush panels that are going to be other various colors. (Red, Light Grey and Dark Grey.) All these panels were first airbrushed with Tamiya German Grey as a base coat. This gave the red panels a deeper color that I liked much better than painting them only with the red DOA paint. I also spray the surface with hairspray before I airbrushed the color in to allow for paint chipping.

8) Weathered the surface using a very diluted mixture 502 Abteilung Faded Navy Blue, Dark Mud and Dark Rust. Then i left this to dry at least for a day.

9) A second coat of weather was then added using a diluted mixture of 502 Abteilung Dark Rust, German Ochre and Starship Filth (A Dark Grey) Let this dry for a day or so.

10) Added streaking and grime using more 502 Abteilung Starship Filth.

11) Used a Tamiya Weather Pastels Kits to add Rust Streaks and more grime.

A long process, but I was very happy with the results.Love Here are some pictures of the process.

Regards,

Stephen

IMG_1896.jpg
IMG_1897.jpg
IMG_1899.jpg
IMG_1899.jpg
IMG_1907.jpg
IMG_1908.jpg
IMG_1908.jpg
IMG_1938.jpg
IMG_1948.jpg
IMG_2093.jpg
IMG_2094.jpg
IMG_2098.jpg
IMG_2099.jpg

Tomick
#14 Posted : 18 September 2017 10:49:21

Groups:

Looking great and loving the fig's Cool
Spal
#15 Posted : 18 September 2017 16:42:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great looking build and lots of impressive detailing Cool

Al
scraperjawa
#16 Posted : 19 September 2017 04:37:36

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for looking in on my build. Next up is one of the more challenging areas to paint.

The Cockpit Tube

This section was difficult for me to get the way I wanted. It was a combination of getting this hull plating very early in the build and not having developed a paint method I liked. I think I painted it 3 times before I was happy with my result. Cursing Using the same method I described in my previous post, here is the final result after much trial and error. BigGrin

Regards,

Stephen

IMG_2104.jpg
IMG_2108.jpg
IMG_2112.jpg
IMG_2113.jpg
IMG_2119.jpg
IMG_2122.jpg
IMG_2127.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg

Markwarren
#17 Posted : 19 September 2017 08:04:58

Some very nice painting, you have got some good toning to it.Love

Mark
birdaj2
#18 Posted : 19 September 2017 08:18:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic paintwork - looks top notch
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tigerace
#19 Posted : 19 September 2017 15:23:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really like your weathering on thisBigGrin great stuffDrool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

darbyvet
#20 Posted : 19 September 2017 15:56:33

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Looks fantastic Stephen,great job

Carl