Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

1/12 McLaren MP4/6 with a load of extras Options
michu
#1 Posted : 24 July 2017 16:07:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I've been waiting to tackle this build for a very long time, trying to collect all the aftermarket I hoped to use on it - and so it starts.

Kit: Tamiya 1/12 kit no. 89721, McLaren MP4/6 Honda

Add-ons:
- Top Studio Super Detail-up Set (MD29015)
- Thunder Valley F1 "Formula Perfect Essentials Set" (photo-etch, some resin parts, and some turned metal parts)
- Thunder Valley F1 "Formula Perfect Cast Metal Parts Set" (white metal parts replacing exhaust, radiators, brake calipers etc.)
- Full decal set (inc. tobacco sponsor decals) from Taboo Design
- Turned aluminium wheels by AZRM
- Various pipes, rods, carbon fibre decals, shrink tubing, etc. - as needed

Reference:
- Model Factory Hiro walkaround photo book
- Internet :)

Plan:
- To build as good replica as possible for me, no time and effort spared, with slight weathering to represent a car that has been raced for a while.

So, let's start!

I began with the brake discs. There's about 25 parts per disc, and it's pretty tricky to put them together. In the details set for 1/20 kit, the nuts holding discs together are represented by a wire that you place inside small notches, glue, and then cut off the protruding bit after the glue dries. In 1/12, Top Studio decided to provide actually turned bolts that look great, but have no affordances to hold them.

I ended up placing them vertically on a piece of glass, one by one, dabbing a bit of glue into the notch on the brake disc support and then dropping the support from the top onto the bolt. With a bit of adjustment with a thin wire, it was possible to install them into the support plate from the bottom.

I painted brake discs with Zero Paints ceramic carbon lacquer, and added a bit of patina to the supports by spraying transparent Smoke paint from MRP. Lovely paint, much smoother and easier to airbrush than Tamiya's counterpart. Here's the end result (and yes, there are tiny P/E nuts on the each of the mounting bolts):

Next tiny bit - the wheel hubs with photo-etched something that I'm pretty sure is an ABS ring. ABS has been banned from F1 in 1993, and this car was racing three years earlier - so it seems reasonable to identify the part as such.

The wheel nuts provided are brass, so I painted them aluminium and black (for right and left side respectively) to better match the car. They are complete with the self-centering conical flange, I love this little detail.

While the paint was drying, I combined the halves of my turned wheels and glued-in air valves - I have to admit, the metallic shine of the rims looks very impressive and convincing.

I've also built and painted driveshafts - it might not be visible well from this angle, but there are tiny bolt heads installed on the black rim (three on each); Top Studio even provided a photo-etched template to make spacing them evenly easier. Kudos to them! The shiny strips around the cuffs still need a bit of toning down with Smoke paint.

And the last bit - the cam covers and first pieces of associated equipment. These will be a project in itself, but the amount of detail that will be added here is staggering. This might take more than a week to complete...

The Honda logo and metal strip is indeed metal, I superglued the photoetched bits, painted the whole thing black, and then scraped the paint off photo-etch with a hobby knife.

Thanks for dropping by, comments & critique (yes, really) are the most welcome.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
tigerace
#2 Posted : 24 July 2017 16:13:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great startBigGrin looks an amazing lot of parts you have Drool Drool will be watchingBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

michu
#3 Posted : 24 July 2017 16:15:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

tigerace wrote:
Great startBigGrin looks an amazing lot of parts you have Drool Drool will be watchingBigGrin regards PhilCool

So far I'm not sure if I'll be using the Thunder Valley details, I'll be deciding as I go. The cast metal parts look nice, but the photo-etch doesn't seem to be adding much beyond what TopStudio provides. We will see :)
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

ModelMania
#4 Posted : 24 July 2017 16:23:11

Groups:

OMG!!! This is going to be a mega-model when finished Michal!! Drool Drool Drool

I think with what you have as extras this is going to be an amazing experience for you and will be more akin to building a real car than a model? I wish you luck building it mate and I will be your #1 fan watching all the way, so keep up the build and thanks for sharing this with us. Cool Cool ThumpUp

Funny that you've shown those brass wheel nuts having been painted. Only last night I was doing the wheel nuts on my 1:20 McLaren MP4/4 build! A little tip for you Michal, strip off the black paint, buy some 'Krick' blackener for brass and drop the plain brass nuts into that, wait a while and they will go a lovely metallic black - a bit like your turned wheels - much better and more realistic? I'll see if I can post up a photo of mine later?

Top model, good job so far - well done!! Drool Drool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
michu
#5 Posted : 24 July 2017 18:23:01

Thanks Kev :)
I've done the nuts this way because the black ones on the 1/1 car are heavily chipped. Below my black paint is an aluminium base and I'm going to chip them so it shows through. The blackener is a great idea I will probably use in many other places, but with the nut I just can't because the chipping is supposed to be to a white metal, not brass.

ModelMania
#6 Posted : 24 July 2017 18:41:51

Groups:

michu wrote:
Thanks Kev :)
I've done the nuts this way because the black ones on the 1/1 car are heavily chipped. Below my black paint is an aluminium base and I'm going to chip them so it shows through. The blackener is a great idea I will probably use in many other places, but with the nut I just can't because the chipping is supposed to be to a white metal, not brass.

That's cool Michal, a perfectly good method and however you want to do it is fine. You could do it the opposite way of course and instead of removing the black paint by chipping, you could just lightly dry brush the edges in silver to simulate wear or just dip a tiny piece of natural sponge in some silver paint and very lightly touch it around the nut to simulate some heavier chipping? Either way, the effect is about the same.

Enjoy your build mate, should be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to following this! Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 24 July 2017 20:03:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looks a nice kit and with the extras should make a great build, will be watchingCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Spal
#8 Posted : 24 July 2017 20:29:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Superb kit and with all the extras will be packed with detail BigGrin look forward to seeing more of it.

Al
pemberg
#9 Posted : 24 July 2017 20:38:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

With all the extras, this should build into a very impressive model.

Graeme
davetwin
#10 Posted : 25 July 2017 21:09:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Quite a collection of aftermarket parts you've collected Blink

A stunning build in the making and I'm sure it will be a pleasure to follow Cool
Gandale
#11 Posted : 25 July 2017 22:55:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Am going to enjoy following your progress on this one, the detail you're adding is going to be great to see.....Cool Cool .. Good luck with it....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
RM1
#12 Posted : 26 July 2017 09:30:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic set of parts. I've got this kit and have been adding detail sets for some while now before making a start.
Have you seen the top studio detail up sets for engine and cockpit? They are pretty impressive.
Your build diary will certainly be my reference document when I finally get going.
Can't wait.BigGrin
Malc.
michu
#13 Posted : 26 July 2017 09:55:16

Hi guys, thank you for looking and your comments.

RM1 wrote:
Have you seen the top studio detail up sets for engine and cockpit? They are pretty impressive.

Malc, yep I have them. I have the full details set from TopStudio that includes details for:

- cockpit
- front dampers and front chassis bulkhead
- drive shafts
- antennas
- air funnels
- radiator and ECU, with full wiring loom
- engine
- brakes

I'm working on engine detailing at the moment, I should have some pictures to post today or tomorrow :-)

RM1
#14 Posted : 26 July 2017 15:14:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

michu wrote:

I'm working on engine detailing at the moment, I should have some pictures to post today or tomorrow :-)

Can't wait to see the next pictures.