Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages <12345>»
ZetaForge's Samurai Armor Build Options
ZetaForge
#41 Posted : 05 October 2017 03:16:00

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thank you for following my build and thank you for the encouragement.

I decided to continue with sections that required gluing, so I moved on to building the do (cuirass). I started with the right side plate. The parts seemed to fit well with the built in alignment points.

I initially used all purpose adhesive. But there seemed to be a bit of a gap between the joints in the top and bottom plates preventing the all purpose adhesive from holding. In the end, I used epoxy as it was better able to fill in the gap.

Attaching the rest of the top to bottom plates went without a hitch for the most part. The most difficult part was applying enough epoxy to attach the plates but not ooze out from the joint.

All went without any problems until I reached the back plate. The sections, left to right, went together fine (pictured top left). However, when I test fit the top piece it did not match the previous 3 pieces .

It seemed to follow a slightly different curve. I opted to apply a slight pressure to bend the top piece to match rest of the assembly.

I was very careful to apply a small amount of pressure by hand since I didn't know how much bending the metal could take.

I finally got the top plate close enough that I could epoxy the parts together (pictured top right). In the end they were about a 16th of an inch difference and was able to clamp the top piece on to the bottom assembly while the epoxy cured (pictured bottom).
ZetaForge attached the following image(s):
do-assemb-comp-800b.jpg
tigerace
#42 Posted : 05 October 2017 06:37:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad you sorted it out BigGrin great workDrool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

ZetaForge
#43 Posted : 17 October 2017 10:02:54

I've added a new blog post about hachi design. You can read it here.

Moving along...

For the knot's on the shoulders, I decided to deviate from the instructions. Instead of looping the cord and gluing it into place, I decided to use an agemaki knot.

There are some diagrams and videos showing how to create the agemaki. I initially found the knot difficult to make, partially because the cords weren't that long.

The center pattern of the knot didn't form a tight, uniform “square,” a distinctive feature of the agemaki.Confused I was about to give up on using the knot when I accidentally discovered that crossing the cords before tying the knot helped to form the tight center.

The picture below shows the difference in the knot when the cord is crossed before making the knot.

The picture also shows the pointed end still in tact. I created the point by unraveling the cord, cutting the threads into a taper and forming the end into a point using white glue. This was another deviation from the instructions.

I'm still doing some research on knots so I temporarily left the pointed end in place in the event I decide to redo or change the knot. When I'm ready, I'll cut off the point, and wrap the cord in thread to form the end into a sort of tassel.

I'm not sure why crossing the laces makes such a difference. If any of the members are familiar with knot making especially knots used for Samurai armor, I would love to get any insight you might have.
knots-before-after800c.jpg
tigerace
#44 Posted : 17 October 2017 10:20:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I do like this build BigGrin the knots i`m not familiar with but i like the one thats crossedCool excellent work can`t wait for moreDrool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

ZetaForge
#45 Posted : 17 October 2017 10:30:10

Thanks tigerace!

I'm getting a lot of insight into the construction and purpose of the smaller bits of the Samurai armor with this build.

The crossed cord technique was a happy accident.BigGrin
Markwarren
#46 Posted : 17 October 2017 11:10:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Just caught up with your build, some very nice work going onThumpUp

Mark
ZetaForge
#47 Posted : 17 October 2017 18:37:34

Thanks Mark!
ZetaForge
#48 Posted : 01 November 2017 21:52:01

Moving on to the kusazuri (skirt armor). I started with a bit of prep work on the parts.

I sprayed the faux leather backings and odoshi (lacing or braids) with a Kiwi brand water repellent. My primary reason was to reduce the effects of ambient moisture from degrading the backing and braids.

The secondary reason, was to keep moisture out of the material that came into contact with the metal parts. My concern was that dampness of fabric parts would promote rusting of the metal parts over time.

To make spraying the pieces more efficient, I lined them all up. I taped the faux leather backing end to end, on a piece of cardboard. I grouped the odoshi by similar lengths and taped their ends together. I then taped the groups to a piece of cardboard.

In the picture below, you can see the navy blue laces that run the length of the kusazuri taped together. By grouping the pieces this way, it allowed me to easily flip 33 braids at the one time, and easily spray both sides.

For all the painted parts, I polished them with a couple of coats of automotive polish. I used NuFinish.
products_comp_800c.jpg
20170819_182129_800c.jpg
20170811_172616_800c.jpg
birdaj2
#49 Posted : 02 November 2017 09:42:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Russ

That is some very neat and tidy work.

Certainly needs a keen eye and steady hand to produce the lovely finish you are getting with all that rope work.

Hope it all continues well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tigerace
#50 Posted : 02 November 2017 13:30:11

Really great updateBigGrin good idea to use the tapeBigGrin can`t wait for moreDrool Regards PhilCool

arpurchase
#51 Posted : 02 November 2017 19:49:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ZetaForge
#52 Posted : 03 November 2017 09:05:27

Thank you all for the compliments and encouragement!
ZetaForge
#53 Posted : 10 November 2017 02:21:07

I tried a few different techniques to apply the backing to the individual kusazuri plates.

Initially, I used toothpicks to help keep the holes aligned. I had problems with the toothpicks wobbling making alignment difficult. In the end, I resorted to eyballing the alignment of the holes.

I applied the faux leather backing from left to right. I began to notice some of the holes at the right side were slightly off.

I was careful to lightly place the backings so I was able to pull the them off and re-position them. After I had all the holes aligned I pressed the backings firmly into place.

On a couple plates the holes were so far out of alignment that the backing obscured the holes in the metal plate. I realized that the backing stretches and doesn't return to its original shape. So the further across I got, the holes became increasingly out of alignment.

To mitigate the problem, I started at the center and then working my way left and right. I did this by removing 2/3 of the original backing then I used parchment paper as a surrogate liner for the adhesive. This leaves a section of the adhesive exposed in the middle.

This worked for the most part. Occasionally, some air bubbles appeared. I used a sewing needle to make a small hole in the backing to release the trapped air.
20170815_133607lables_600c.jpg
birdaj2
#54 Posted : 10 November 2017 11:19:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very interesting update. I never realised how delicate this model is to put together but yours is coming pn really well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tigerace
#55 Posted : 10 November 2017 11:44:27

Really is a pleasure to watch your progressDrool BigGrin glad you resolved the problem Cool regards PhilCool

ZetaForge
#56 Posted : 14 November 2017 23:06:26

Thank you for the compliments and words of encouragement. And thank you all for following along.

Now on to lacing the plates.

The bottom plate of the kusazuri (skirt armor) has two rows of decorative odoshi (lacing) – a row of running lace and a row of x's or crossed odoshi below it. Based on the instructions, the bottom row starts with a knot on the outside of the plate.

Although the “knot out” pattern does exist, I didn't like the aesthetic. I also worried that my knots wouldn't be neat enough.

After a bit of research, I found a lacing pattern that would allow me to keep the knots on the backside of the plate, fit with the number of pre-made holes, and is based on traditional lacing patterns.

I tested my lacing pattern on an extra plate using some thin vinyl cord. The vinyl wasn't wide enough for a proper appearance but was good enough for me to test my intended lacing pattern.

Once I figured out my lacing pattern I was ready for the actual odoshi.

As I pulled the odoshi through, I was careful not to over tighten the odoshi, this prevents the lace from rolling.

I used a technique I read about from David Thatcher, a professional armor restorer. I used my finger to work the lacing into position as I pulled it.

When I got close to the final position, I used my finger to hold the lacing in place as I pulled it tight. This allows me to tighten the weave but not over stretch the odoshi in the front. This allows the lacing to form “boxes and lines” rather than “x's and train tracks”.

Instead of knotting the ends to complete the lacing, I folded and glued the ends – what the instructions refer to as “sealing.”
20170830_221435crp_600c.jpg
20170830_141255crp-labl_600.jpg
20171113_160827crp_600c.jpg
20171113_161225crp-label_60.jpg
arpurchase
#57 Posted : 14 November 2017 23:27:37

BigGrin Looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

macky42
#58 Posted : 14 November 2017 23:28:32

I followed Dave's process also. It helps to dampen with a little water and a few seconds thumb pressure to get the cross-laces and the tops of the vertical laces to lay flat.
Did you see his notes about paper plugs? I'd sent him a spare tasset plate and lace sample, he advised me to use the plugs as it helps prevent stretching and gives a nice rounded top to the laces. It's fiddly and a lot of extra work though (quite a few plugs fell out when it hit the floor also).
ZetaForge
#59 Posted : 15 November 2017 02:12:59

macky42 - I remember reading your post. It was funny timing, I had recently found David's armor restoration site then, happened across your post a few days later.

I thought of contacting him at some point with historical questions. Since he gave you tips regarding this model, sounds like he's approachable.

I saw David's tip on using paper plugs. I might give that a try.

Nice to know wetting the laces makes a big difference on how the odoshi lays. I thought of taking steps like that along with cleaning up fingerprints after the assembly was completed.

Or do you think wetting the laces should/needs be done at the time of assembly?
Gandale
#60 Posted : 15 November 2017 09:35:11

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

All looking good, very nice progress being made....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan