Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages «<23456>»
ZetaForge's Samurai Armor Build Options
macky42
#61 Posted : 15 November 2017 10:31:48

Groups: Registered

ZetaForge wrote:
Or do you think wetting the laces should/needs be done at the time of assembly?

I did it as I went, row by row, then left it for a while before doing the next. I wasn't in a hurry, probably explains why it still isn't finished BigGrin
birdaj2
#62 Posted : 15 November 2017 10:34:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That all looks very good. It looks a very involved build but you certainly know what your doing.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tigerace
#63 Posted : 15 November 2017 14:14:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great there BigGrin that must test the patienceCool well doneCool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

ZetaForge
#64 Posted : 23 November 2017 03:50:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Here's a more detailed look at my lacing pattern for the bottom of the sixth plate of each kusazuri set. I built a couple of simple tools to help with the job.

Pictured below, on the left, is a wood pick created by rounding the ends of a toothpick to various degrees. I used 400 then 1000 grit sandpaper to get a smooth surface finish so as not to snag the material.

The version pictured below has a blunt side and pointed side. The blunt end is ideal for moving the lace in tight spaces. The pointed end is better for slipping under the odoshi to fix valley folds and to undo or adjust the lacing. The midsection is wrapped in painter's tape for better grip.

A seam ripper could also be used but I was worried the metal might scratch the finish.

The second tool (right) is a piece of clear plastic cut from a blister pack. The working end and edges were sanded with 400 then 1000 grit sandpaper also, so it wouldn't snag the material. This was used as a mini spatula to push the end of the odoshi into place for gluing.

The images below show the steps I took with my lacing pattern.
ZetaForge attached the following image(s):
20170830_141319_600c.jpg
sixth-plate-lacing_600c1.jpg
sixth-plate-lacing_600c2.jpg
Gandale
#65 Posted : 23 November 2017 11:28:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice piece of work....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tigerace
#66 Posted : 23 November 2017 11:52:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really like how you are explaining your buildBigGrin and the quality of your work is superbDrool great stuffBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

ZetaForge
#67 Posted : 29 November 2017 03:16:13

Tigerace - thanks for following my build and the compliment of my workmanship. Glad you like the format of my build diary.

Below is the final appearance of my lacing pattern from the front of the plate.
20171128_075850crop_600c.jpg
ZetaForge
#68 Posted : 29 November 2017 03:20:12

Lacing the kusazuri plates vertically proved more time consuming than I thought it would be. I was familiar with the lacing pattern since I've used it on my full size armor designs. I thought this would be one of the easier tasks.

I've read many great suggestions from different model makers on their techniques for keeping the distances even between one set of plates to the other.

I thought of using tnequette's technique of using a jig to keep the spacing even, and compensate for the stretch in the odoshi, but I didn't have the materials or a work space set up to create a similar jig.

Macky42 replied earlier regarding the use of paper plugs to help with the odoshi stretching. However, I had already stared some of the vertical lacing when I read the post so I opted to go without the plugs instead of trying to retro fit what I had already done.

In the end, instead of using the template provided with the model, I aligned the bottom edge of one plate with the bottom of the second row of holes in the following plate.

Between finishing one plate and starting the next, I would hold the assembled plates vertically to ensure that spacing was kept even with the stretch.

I waited until I was done with all the sections before I sealed the ends...just in case.

The frustration happened when I double checked my work. Some plates were out of alignment as much as 1/16th of an inch. My guess is that as I tightened the lacing I pulled some of the plates out of position.

This was not a problem when I worked on full size armor. The smaller scale might have been the cause. I found it helpful to use a magnifying glass to lace the plates together.
plate-alignment_600c.jpg
birdaj2
#69 Posted : 29 November 2017 12:22:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This looks very complicated the more i see but you certainly know what you are doing.

Some very neat and tidy work.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
ZetaForge
#70 Posted : 07 December 2017 09:33:23

The yellow odoshi running on either side of the kusazuri plates seems thinner (depth-wise) than the blue odoshi. When it was pulled through the holes, it would readily compress into a narrow line. I wanted the runner to have more of a “dot” shape, keeping a consistent width going between the anchor section and the suspensory section.

Initially, I used the technique of holding the odoshi with my finger to prevent over tightening as I had with the blue odoshi. As a result, the yellow odoshi looked loose. I also had difficulty keeping a consistent shape and width.

I added a small piece of self-stick felt between the two anchor holes. When the yellow lace is pulled tight, it forms around the felt consistently keeping the “dot” shape. Below is a close up of the felt piece next to a sewing needle for scale.

Forum member, macky42, mentioned in Stevie's armor build diary that the yellow odoshi seemed to be of lesser quality than the blue. I couldn't say for sure if it was lesser quality but it felt thinner than the blue odoshi.

A big deviation from the instructions and tradition is that I didn't connect any kusazuri sections to the do (chest armor). I put them aside at this point. I had an idea of making them removable. The major benefit being that I could hang the do on the stand and then add the kusazuri.

I am still working the details on how I will hang the kusazuri. More on that to follow.
20170912_151501crp_600c.jpg
20171204_073247label_c.jpg
IMG_20171205_080845_600c.jpg
birdaj2
#71 Posted : 07 December 2017 10:31:55

That is going to look very nice when finished in its yellow, blue and black colouring.
Happy Modelling

tigerace
#72 Posted : 07 December 2017 12:56:20

Really love how this is coming togetherDrool Drool excellent workBigGrin regards PhilCool

delboy271155
#73 Posted : 07 December 2017 18:34:57

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Very nice work and the idea of the felt spacer gives more definition to the detailing. Excellent tip.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

ZetaForge
#74 Posted : 08 December 2017 03:12:00

Thanks everyone for following my build.

Adding the pads actually wasn't too bad. The hardest part was cutting a strip of felt 1/16" wide. I used the tip of an Exacto knife to place each piece.

There were 132 pads needed just for the kusazuri. And I would have to do this for the yodare kake (throat guard) and shikoro (neck guard). Based on numbers alone, I almost gave up on the idea.

I played with a couple different ideas for creating the pads including puffy paint (pictured below).

In the end, the self-stick felt gave the best thickness with a consistent form that wasn't too difficult to apply.

20171207_093025crop_600c.jpg
birdaj2
#75 Posted : 08 December 2017 04:39:27

That sounds like a very well thought out plan and will hopefully give you the tesult you need.

Hope it all continues well.
Happy Modelling

tigerace
#76 Posted : 08 December 2017 16:25:48

Agree with Tony BigGrin you are doing a terrific job on thisDrool Drool regards PhilCool

Gandale
#77 Posted : 08 December 2017 23:32:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautifully detailed work....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ZetaForge
#78 Posted : 12 December 2017 21:25:13

Thank you all for the compliments and for following my build diary.

I continued building the armor by constructing the other parts that require lacing in a similar manner as the kusazuri.

The yodare kake (throat guard) was pretty straightforward. The major alteration I made to this portion of armor was lacing the sections together separate from the menpo (face mask).

I thought this would make the lacing job easier as it would minimize the amount of lacing required while dodging the beard or conversely, dealing with the plates flopping around while trying to install the beard.

I also laced the yodare kake as a separate section in case I wanted to paint the inside of the menpo. I could undo short sections of odoshi instead of un-lacing the entire piece. This choice does not follow traditional construction.
20171115_142955_600c.jpg
tigerace
#79 Posted : 13 December 2017 09:58:29

Looks superbBigGrin coming along very wellDrool Drool i love how you no all the different parts and there names excellentBigGrin regards PhilCool

ZetaForge
#80 Posted : 22 December 2017 08:34:48

Tigerace - thanks for following my build and the compliments of my knowledge of the armor part names. Still learning. I know most of the major sections but I've yet to learn names of the smaller parts.

Assembling the shikoro (neck guard). I deviated from the instructions a bit. The decorative odoshi along the bottom plate passes through a lot of holes. From lacing the kusazuri, I noticed the odoshi can become a little worn going through the holes.

It wasn't horribly noticeable, but some of the odoshi looked a bit fuzzy when compared to new pieces.

I decided to mitigate some of the wear from the assembly process by lacing the bottom plate of the shikoro in sections. I cut the odoshi in fourths and laced from the left front to the center of the back with half of the cross pattern. Then left front to the center of the back completing the cross pattern.

Repeating the steps, I laced the right half from the front to the back. Where the two halves met in the center of the back, I glued one end onto the other in a way that it would look like one continuous piece. The cross pattern helped to conceal the splice.

I got close enough in appearance that the casual observer would probably not be able to tell. But it's not as perfect as I would like it to be. If you know what you're looking for, you can see it.

For the yellow running lace, I added pieces of felt between the holes with the same technique I used on the kusazuri. You can see the felt in the “Cross pattern complete” picture below. This task looked intimidating because of the number of holes.

But I think it took a little less than an hour to add the felt.
20170921_151225_600c.jpg
half-cross-pattern_600c.jpg
seam_in_out_600c.jpg