Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages «<34567>»
ZetaForge's Samurai Armor Build Options
birdaj2
#81 Posted : 22 December 2017 09:29:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

That is all continuing along very nicely.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tigerace
#82 Posted : 22 December 2017 15:54:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks amazingDrool Drool really lovely workDrool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

ZetaForge
#83 Posted : 05 January 2018 04:40:54

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hope everyone had a great start to the New Year!BigGrin

The ukebari (helmet liner) was interesting to build. Completely different than anything I had done before.

Following the instructions, forming the cloth into a dome shape by pulling the threads was straightforward. Making the liner edging took a couple attempts. The first attempt ended up too small.

Sorry, no picture. Blushing I was frustrated Mad and forgot to take a pic of the failed first attempt.

I measured the leather strip around the edge of the hachi (helmet bowl). The excess I had left over matched what the instructions indicated. I stitched it to the rest of the ukebari and placed the assembled liner inside the hachi (helmet bowl). To test fit everything, I roughly flattened the edge around the koshimaki (brim of the helmet).

It seemed like a good fit. I went ahead and trimmed the excess. However, when I actually tried to pull the ukebari into place over the koshimaki it was too tight. Cursing

In retrospect, if I pulled the leather hard enough, it might have stretched around the koshimaki but I decided I wanted a bit more play instead of fighting to make it fit.

Fortunately, there was a second strip. This time, I used almost the entire length of the piece. The second ukebari is probably on the loose side but it looked decent and I was able to get it easily to the brim of the kabuto.

I cut an EVA foam oval and molded it to the shape of the hachi (crown) of the kabuto. I added it to take up the space above the cloth portion of the ukebari.

Not traditional, but I thought it might help stabilize the helmet on the stand.

Next, instead of attaching the kabuto cord rings and fitting the ukebari over them, I cut holes in the leather and pushed the base of the detached rings through the leather so that only the rings protruded from the liner.

After the ring base was pushed through the ukebari, I attached it to the koshimaki.

Also, instead of cutting a separate hole next to the seam for the back ring, I left a gap in the seam for the ring to protrude from.
ZetaForge attached the following image(s):
padding-comp_600c.jpg
ring-side_600c.jpg
back-ring_600c.jpg
tigerace
#84 Posted : 05 January 2018 08:11:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stunning workBigGrin looks so neat and tidy great jobDrool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

ZetaForge
#85 Posted : 21 January 2018 07:05:00

Thanks, Phil and everyone for following my build.

Attaching the shikoro (neck guard). I punched holes in the ukebari edging using a hole punch. The punch I had handy was a #3. In retrospect, a smaller punch, perhaps even the one that comes with the kit might be better.

The holes made by the #3 hole punch were almost the size of the rivet heads. Because of the stretch of the material, the holes weren’t perfectly aligned. Parts of the holes are visible around the edges of the rivet heads.

In the event, I ever wanted to change/fix the liner, re-lace the shikoro, refinish the armor etc. I wanted a way to be able to remove the shikoro.

I used hot glue to hold the ukebari to the metal kabuto. The shikoro slips into a groove around the edge of the hachi (crown) and sits in place without the rivets but will fall off if the entire helmet is turned upside down. So I figured it wouldn't take much to keep it attached.

To make a semi-permanent attachment, I used hot glue to hold the rivets halves together. So far the bond seems strong enough to keep the shikoro in place even upside down.

For now, I decided to leave the rivets exposed on the ukebari. I kind of like the aesthetic of the exposed rivet heads and I figured it was something I could easily cover at a later time should I change my mind.

The last image below shows the helmet with the shinobi-no-o (helmet cord) laced through the rings.

Starting to pick back up on my blog. You can check out what's been happening with me on my blog here.
20171230_150839croped_600c.jpg
20171231_112357croped_600c.jpg
20171231_112755crop_600c.jpg
tigerace
#86 Posted : 21 January 2018 13:08:22

Great update againBigGrin love the quality you bring to your model Drool Drool excellentLove regards PhilCool

ZetaForge
#87 Posted : 03 March 2018 06:59:28

The amount of work to build the haidate (thigh armor) looked intimidating at the onset. Turns out, building it is more tedious than complex. It is comprised of 132 plates, each laced together in rows and then each row is laced to a backing. As with the other metal parts, I started by polishing the metal plates.

Polishing each of the plates individually would take a long time. To make the process faster, I taped the plates close together on a plastic backing. In doing so, I was able to polish several plates at the same time.
yoroi.parts4_600c.jpg
20171003_121517crop_600c.jpg
ZetaForge
#88 Posted : 03 March 2018 07:01:06

I strayed from the instruction's lacing pattern for each row. The instructions show the two rows of lacing going in opposite directions.

One set was going right over left and the other was left over right. I looked for historical references. Turns out the haidate lacing is one of those details on Samurai armor without many good images. Even in the reference pictures I took, I couldn't find clear pictures.

I decided to keep the direction matching the lacing of the kusazuri (waist armor) – left over right.
instruction-comp_600c.jpg
ZetaForge
#89 Posted : 03 March 2018 07:02:59

I used small squares of duct tape to temporarily hold the plates together. This freed me to use both hands for the lacing process making it easier to put the plates together.

I used a rounded toothpick to help keep the mountain folds out front and the valley folds in the back. It got a bit tedious at times but taking breaks between rows helped to maintain my focus.

When I began to attach each row to the backing I realized that the plates actually overlap a bit instead of butting up against each other. Since I taped them butting up against each other, when I attached each row to the backing there was a bit of slack in the odoshi.

The slack in the lacing wasn't too bad though. You can see the results in the final image. Other than that, the build for this section went pretty smoothly.
20171028_095813crop_600c.jpg
20171028_095341crop_600c.jpg
20171031_213015_600c.jpg
20180218_144945_600c.jpg
Markwarren
#90 Posted : 03 March 2018 10:27:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice update, can’t believe how much work goes into this. Must have a lot of patience.

Mark
tigerace
#91 Posted : 03 March 2018 13:02:06

Amazing work Drool you`re doing lovely craftsmanship all roundBigGrin well doneCool regards PhilCool

ZetaForge
#92 Posted : 04 March 2018 05:17:55

Thanks everyone for following my build. tigerace, Markwarren thank you for the compliments.

This has been a great learning experience so far. It's one thing to read about the work that goes into a single suit of Samurai armor, but putting skills into practice gives you a much deeper appreciation for the Japanese armor craft.

-Russ
Gandale
#93 Posted : 04 March 2018 12:01:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work, very neat and clean looking build.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
ZetaForge
#94 Posted : 22 March 2018 02:23:03

Thanks to everyone who's been following my build.

Assembling the suneate (shin guards). No modifications here. Looking at all the parts, I noticed the left and right suneate backings seemed to have different types of leather. I thought it was a mistake and contacted DeAgostini about it. Customer service was great and promptly replaced both backings.

However, the left and right replacement pieces were identical to the original set and also had two different types of leather.

I haven't found any historical information regarding a reason for each shin guard having a different type of leather. Once the assembly was finished the difference wasn't too noticeable especially since the leather was towards the rear, inside of the shins.
20171106_173504crop_600c.jpg
20171109_084225crop_600c.jpg
ZetaForge
#95 Posted : 22 March 2018 02:24:12

The ties that go around the suneate were heavily creased from the packaging. I ironed each of the ties to flatten them out. I used iron-on fusing web instead of white glue or stitching to close the ends of the ties.
20171121_091217crop_600c.jpg
20180308_104559crop_600c.jpg
ZetaForge
#96 Posted : 22 March 2018 02:25:58

It was time to attach the assembled metal pieces to the backing with odoshi. Holes were punched through the cloth and leather of the backing using the assembled metal parts as a template for correct spacing. The problem facing me was the awl I had been using has a taper that makes it too wide for the holes in the painted metal.

There were something like 80 to 100 holes that needed to be made and my fear was that the metal awl would chip the paint. With so many holes I figured it was bound to happen a few times.

Instead of buying another awl, I used a small 3/4” nail. I wrapped the head of the nail in blue tape to make handling the nail easier and to provide a bit of padding when pushing it through the cloth and leather.

It wasn't too difficult to puncture the cloth but doing so upwards of 80 times got tiring on the fingers...and that's just for one side. Puncturing the leather, on the other hand, was very difficult.

At the beginning of the hole punching process, I needed some way of keeping the material pushed up against the back of the metal plates. I used a small, scrap of EVA foam. For the most part, it was thick and rigid enough that the nail didn't make it all the way through the foam when making holes in the cloth.

When making holes in the leather, I had to be much more cautious in keeping my fingers out of the line of the nail. I used enough force to compress the foam and the nail would occasionally make it completely through.

Gluing the yellow edging was fairly straightforward. Working in roughly 2” sections, I used small clothespins to keep the edging in place white glue dried sufficiently. To prevent leaving marks in the edging from the clothespins, I used pieces of the folded paper towel as padding.
20171125_104350crop_600c.jpg
20180307_175321crop_600c.jpg
20171125_104344crop_600c.jpg
20171125_104308crop_600c.jpg
20171127_114254crop_600c.jpg
ZetaForge
#97 Posted : 22 March 2018 02:40:49

Often the suneate are displayed propped up against haidate which is draped over the yoroi bitsu (armor storage chest). The table I planned to display the suneate on was a bit shallow front to back. I decided to experiment with creating a stand for the two shin guards.
20180308_112813crop_600c.jpg
20180308_113253crop_600c.jpg
tigerace
#98 Posted : 22 March 2018 13:14:35

Another outstanding updateBigGrin great workDrool Drool regards PhilCool

ZetaForge
#99 Posted : 22 March 2018 19:37:09

Thanks, PhilThumpUp

BTW, if anyone has any information or thoughts about the differences in leather on the backing, I'd love to learn more about it.

Actually, any information about some of the smaller details of the Samurai armor would be great. It seems easy to find information about the major parts of the armor such as the shikoro or do but information about some of the details like the tehen-no-kanamono or baden-no-byo seem limited.

And finding information about the particulars of Date Masamune's armor is difficult. Specifically differences between the model and other depictions of his armor.

More to come soon. Thanks, everybody!BigGrin

Gandale
#100 Posted : 22 March 2018 22:42:32

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good, very neat and tidy work being done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan