Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages «<45678>
ZetaForge's Samurai Armor Build Options
ZetaForge
#101 Posted : 13 April 2018 02:04:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Building the kote (armored sleeve).

The metal parts of each kote are comprised of a hinged crown plate topping a kusari (chain-mail) section for the upper arm, shinno (slats) surrounding the forearm and a two-part tekko (hand guard). Each of the hard sections is linked together by kusari.

Assembly required first moving and removing links from a “sheet” of kusari. Reading through the instructions, I imagined keeping track of where to add and subtract a large number of tiny metal rings to be more difficult than it actually was.

The kusari was of the butted variety so adding and removing links was simply pulling open and pushing closed thin metal rings. Working with the kusari wasn't difficult but required focus. I found the process somewhat Zen-like.

A few steps back, I purchased a magnifying visor to help with the small detailed work. This was a lifesaver.

For the initial task, it was crucial to keep the kusari aligned to the provided cardboard template that indicates the sections to remove. Once the kusari was aligned to the template, I used several toothpicks to hold it in place. It was very easy to move the kusari out of place, so I used more toothpicks than were shown in the instructions.

I placed a padded shipping envelope under the template to serve as sort of a pin cushion so I could keep the template flat while keeping the toothpicks more secure. It also affixed the template in place reducing the chance of bumping the kusari out of alignment.

A pair of needle nose pliers is provided. I wanted to prevent chipping the paint with the pliers so I coated the jaws with a layer of Plasti Dip.

No matter how careful I was, chipping the paint on individual links was inevitable. Just the act of flexing the metal to open or close the link would sometimes chip the paint. Fortunately, I was able to touch up the links using Rust-o-leum Painters Touch gloss black. I happen to have some handy.

The touched up areas blended in a lot more seamlessly than I thought they would.

Under magnification, I used a sewing needle as a paint applicator. I frequently rotated links as sometimes paint was chipped in more than one area.
ZetaForge attached the following image(s):
yoroi.parts4kote_600c.jpg
20171129_115602crop_600c.jpg
20171129_153533crop_600c.jpg
20171129_160042_600c.jpg
20171129_153601crop_600c.jpg
20180410_174231_600c.jpg
arpurchase
#102 Posted : 13 April 2018 07:35:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Getting there rather nicely, you still have the joys of the lacing to get right on the arm piecesCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tigerace
#103 Posted : 13 April 2018 11:21:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You are doing a great jobBigGrin you must have lot`s of patienceBigGrin looks awesomeDrool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

ZetaForge
#104 Posted : 14 April 2018 04:39:28

arpurchase - Thanks for the encouragement. Did you find any part of the kote problematic?

tigerace - Thanks for following my build and the encouragement along the way.

-Russ
arpurchase
#105 Posted : 14 April 2018 07:37:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Not problematic just to get the lacing that joins the two sides of the sleeve together looking right takes time to get to be uniform and looking good . I recommend making up a test piece to practice on.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ZetaForge
#106 Posted : 16 April 2018 19:01:34

Thanks for the advice.ThumpUp
ZetaForge
#107 Posted : 25 April 2018 02:42:17

Below are a few more pictures of the metal sections being assembled.

Then, it's time to attach the metal sections to the cloth backing.

The backing material for the kote arrives partially assembled. To accommodate the bend in the elbow, the backing has a pleat. The pleat on the left side looked fine, the right side, however, looked like it had been mis-stitched.

Laying out the backing, I realized the material was just creased in an odd way from the packing process and the stitching was correct. A quick ironing and I was able to restore the pleat to its correct shape.

Attaching the metal assembly to the backing was straightforward. The key was keeping the chain mail securely in place while doing the stitching.

All went smoothly until I added the suede cords for the male end of the toggle that secures the kote to the torso armor. The cords pass through holes in the crown plates on the shoulders. These holes seem too small to loop the cord through the required numbers of times.

After struggling using wooden skewers and tweezers to push and pull the cords through the holes, I finally managed to get the two male toggle ends secured to the metal crown plate. Repeat frustration for the other side.
20171130_151858_600c.jpg
20171201_071343crop_600c.jpg
20171202_141535_600c.jpg
kote-prob-comp_600.jpg
20171203_084826_600c.jpg
20171205_165254crop_600c.jpg
crown-plate-cords_600c.jpg
arpurchase
#108 Posted : 25 April 2018 07:24:24

BigGrin Coming together nicelyCool

ZetaForge
#109 Posted : 25 April 2018 07:48:43

Thanks! Planning on tackling the facial hair after the kote.
Markwarren
#110 Posted : 25 April 2018 07:49:04

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent work, and you must have the patience of a saint.BigGrin

Mark
tigerace
#111 Posted : 25 April 2018 09:03:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some great work hereBigGrin love the detail Drool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

Gandale
#112 Posted : 25 April 2018 11:54:47

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work being done with this kit, very well done indeed....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Sticky Wickett
#113 Posted : 25 April 2018 17:24:46

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just caught up with this. Very neat and tidy work there Zeta Forge. This model is going to look outstanding when completed.

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
ZetaForge
#114 Posted : 26 April 2018 03:59:14

Thanks, everyone for the words of encouragement.

Mark, I don't know if I've got the patience, maybe I'm more of a glutton for punishment.Laugh

I imagine that building model sailing ships would require way more patience with details like the masting and rigging.

This project has given me a deeper respect for the art of the Japanese armorers and a greater insight of Samurai armor design.
ZetaForge
#115 Posted : 09 May 2018 19:00:11

For the kote, one of the last steps is forming it into a sleeve using a cord to tie the two ends together. It's here that I tried my best to make lemonade out of a lemon of a mistake.

Holes must be punched in the backing to accommodate the cord holding the kote closed.

I punched the holes from the back. I was concerned about making them too close to the edge so I punched the holes further away from the edge. What I didn't realize at the time was how much wider the suede border is on the back than on the front.

So the punched the holes were within the border in the back but, on the front, they missed the yellow edging in the black material. Fortunately, the holes were consistent and all inside the border.

Now, a couple steps back, arpurchase gave me a heads up about getting this lacing to look right. Well, the left and right sets of holes were now too far apart. Since the holes were off, I decided to try something entirely different. I laced the kote like a shoe.

It is an entirely different look but, the ends are tied in a bow (like shoes) so I can redo the lacing in the future if I decide to try a different way of lacing.

On to more frustrating matters...

Like the kote crown plate, the holes for the toggle cord in the watagami (shoulder straps) seem way too small. These cords form the female side of the toggle that attaches the kote to the do (torso armor).

I ended up spending a couple of hours fighting to pass just one of the cords through the holes the proper number of times being careful to not damage the finish...or the cords.

During this step in construction, I tried to avoid using the awl. If it slipped, it would gouge the paint on the watagami. The do side was tougher to lace than the kote side. In fact, it was so tight, tweezers could not pull the cord through.

I resorted to needle nose pliers. However, the force needed to pull the suede through was enough to break it. After about an hour of attempts using different techniques, I resorted to using the awl...which slipped and gouged the shoulder plate.

It's battle damage...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The picture below is after I touched up the gouge with black paint. At some point, I may revisit trying redoing the touch up depending on how visible it is when taking in the armor as a whole.

In the end, I resorted to trimming the suede cord to reduce its diameter. Repeat frustration for the other side.

Did anyone else run into problems with the kote toggles? I don't recall seeing any mention of issues with the toggles in other build diaries. Did I miss something?
instruction_lacing_600.jpg
what_i_did_kote_600c.jpg
20180426_175836_600c.jpg
20180403_161133crop_600c.jpg
tigerace
#116 Posted : 09 May 2018 19:14:35

Yep you have got this art of modeling of to a tee nowBigGrin looks superbDrool can`t wait to see it all together Drool pleasure to watchLove regards Phil Cool battle damage is always goodLaugh

arpurchase
#117 Posted : 09 May 2018 20:01:39

BigGrin Looking good and nice workCool

macky42
#118 Posted : 09 May 2018 21:20:39

ZetaForge wrote:
Did anyone else run into problems with the kote toggles? I don't recall seeing any mention of issues with the toggles in other build diaries. Did I miss something?

I have completed one kote - I had the same issue with the holes in the watagame being too small. I opened them up with a round file until the cord would go through snugly but not sloppily. My build has been stalled for months at starting the other - mojo gone awol.

I also have a nagging doubt about the length of the sleeves - they seem too short to me, especially when I look at a video of the original armour in the Sendai museum.
ZetaForge
#119 Posted : 10 May 2018 20:47:28

tigerace, arpurchase - thanks.

macky42 - A little reassuring to know someone else had the same problem.

I also believe the sleeves are too short.

From reference photos, the kote usually starts under the kohire (the shoulder winglets attached to the watagami) and is long enough for the tekko (hand guards) to rest on the "lap" when the armor is displayed "seated".

This causes the kote to bend at the elbows when being displayed giving the "hands on hips" look.

The kote on the model leaves a gap at the shoulder and kind of hangs straight down.

The pic below is of a Tengu themed armor from the LACMA exhibit a few years ago. It was the only reference shot I had of an armor without sode (shoulder guards).

It gives an idea of the proportions of a typical kote.
tengu-yoroi-comp_600c.jpg
macky42
#120 Posted : 10 May 2018 22:06:44

Here's a capture from the video of the original Date armour at Sendai - emphasises the point.