Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Catman's San Francisco 2 Options
catman275
#1 Posted : 19 May 2011 00:40:23

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi All,
I received my full kit today after 15 days not the 7-14 days as promised.
Oh well one day out isn't too bad.
I wont be doing a complete diary here because it has been done a few times already.
What I will do is put up the odd photo etc, and of course pick your brains. BigGrin BigGrin
Just a couple of initial questions for those who have already built the SF 2.
In my kit I have not been supplied with any cast gratings or stairs although the parts list calls them up.

I have been given wooden parts to make 5 sets of stairs, is that enough?

Also supplied are about 150 sections of wooden grating material, enough to make 5 sets of 15x15 gratings, enough there?

I think it may be difficult to do a proper parts check due to the possible spec changes.

Also, my gun carriges look pretty good, with only minimal cleaning needed, and the false keel and frames are flat.

Time for bed,

cheers Catman

completed..... Endeavour Longboat, San Francisco 2, Virginia 1819

building Royal Caroline

magpie1832
#2 Posted : 19 May 2011 11:19:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Catman..

Yes there is enough steps, not sure on the gratings. With you getting the full kit you get wooden parts instead of metal, which does look better, I replaced my metal steps for wooden because they are poor quality. The gratings I painted but would now have used wood..

I look forward to your pics and questions..

Chris..
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

catman275
#3 Posted : 25 May 2011 22:57:55

Hi all,
I test fitted the bulwarks this evening and they dont seem a great fit.
There are gaps left on the outside of the frames after lining up. Did anyone else have the same thing?
I wont be fitting them until the weekend due to work commitments.
When I have them fitted I will put up a couple of pics.

How do you learned ship builders find the quality of my gun carriage ? pic attached.
cheers Catman (Peter)
catman275 attached the following image(s):
cannon.jpg

building Royal Caroline

magpie1832
#4 Posted : 25 May 2011 23:47:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Have a look at my build after a little bit of work they look acceptable..

My Cannons

Chris..
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

MWG
#5 Posted : 26 May 2011 00:32:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Catman,

Looking good please take a closer look at Chris`s( MAGPIE) cannon build, it gives you a great perspective, I will be posting photo`s of my build next week.
Cheers
MWG
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

catman275
#6 Posted : 30 May 2011 18:33:49

Hi Swabbies,
I have fitted the bulwarks and apart from being about a milimetre out on one side it seems ok.
For Magpie.... In one of your early pics it looks as if you have followed the shape of the bulwarks when fitting your first plank. This means curving it.
Were there any problems you found in doing this?

In my attached pics I have clamped a plank running level under the gunports following the shape of the hull without any bending.
I did want to try and follow this procedure on planking

http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/hpteleven.php

Following the shape of the Bulwarks and working upwards with the planking seems to give a better look towards the uppper stern of the ship.
Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers Peter
File Attachment(s):
DSCF3126new.jpg (1,237kb) downloaded 103 time(s).
DSCF3125new.jpg

building Royal Caroline

catman275
#7 Posted : 31 May 2011 13:43:30

Hi all again,
In reply to my own post.
I have seen other examples of the San Fran 2 hull planking following the line of the bulwarks and I think that direction is the way to follow.
If I have problems then I can always come back here knuckling my forehead asking for help.

cheers Peter

building Royal Caroline

saintsman123
#8 Posted : 31 May 2011 15:46:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Catman, I'm at this stage as well, but have put it away for a bit as I seem to have been sent the wrong set of parts, I'm going down the 4 delivery route, and seem to have got the parts for the stage.

Anyway I'm following this with interest as I was not sure where to start the first row of planks, so keep the pictures coming.
Come on you Jimmies
catman275
#9 Posted : 02 June 2011 23:52:54

Hi Saintsman,
I started fitting the first planks (3 each side) following the shape of the bulwarks.
I liked the look of it but I could see that I could have problems further down the hull. So I unglued about a third of the length of planks from the stern and leveled them off.
I'll put some pictures up at the weekend when I get some time.
cheers Peter

building Royal Caroline

catman275
#10 Posted : 03 June 2011 23:51:05

I wonder if any of you are interested in this model built by my son. The Queen Annes Revenge. no gluing or cutting required, can be built in a day, paper sails, costs £103, slightly larger than the San Francisco 2.
Or perhaps i'm in the wrong forum.
My young son says he wants to have a battle with me when my San Fran is built.

cheers peter
DSCF3128new.jpg

building Royal Caroline

catman275
#11 Posted : 05 June 2011 14:56:52

Hi again crew,
I am putting up my latest pics of the San Fran 2.
I originaly started planking following the shape of the bulwarks but after fitting a couple of planks it was obvious that it was not suitable even though it had a good shape.
I am going to try not to use any pins in the build. It will take longer this way but hopefully will look better.

Peter
File Attachment(s):
DSCF3130new.jpg (276kb) downloaded 111 time(s).
DSCF3131new.jpg (274kb) downloaded 112 time(s).
DSCF3132new.jpg (279kb) downloaded 112 time(s).
DSCF3133new.jpg

building Royal Caroline

catman275
#12 Posted : 14 June 2011 19:13:39

Hi all,
I'm about a third of the way fitting the planks and will try and get some pics up soon. I'm not using pins so I am leaving the build overnight to dry.
I am also going to do a bit of work on the metal work whilst waiting for the glue to dry.

Question....What do you skilled builders use in the way of paints?

I have lots of humbrol enamel and some acrylic paint left from earlier plastic builds. Are they of any use?

cheers Peter

building Royal Caroline

magpie1832
#13 Posted : 14 June 2011 19:45:38

Hi Catman,

Sorry just missed the question you made earlier, Yes you did the right thing following the curve of the ply as it works out when you go upwards toward the deck area.

Your build is moving along nicely, keep it up Cool

Chris.
On the bench

catman275
#14 Posted : 27 June 2011 14:23:33

Hi All,
I hope you are all enjoying the weather.

I've got to the stage where I have been sanding down the hull and am also using a 3/4 inch wood chisel as a draw knife. It takes off high points in small shaves rather than fine dust.

As I did this, small gaps have appeared between a few of the planks. When fitting the planks I did bevel the edges so they were a tight fit together.
I wonder if it could be due to doing the planking in wet weather and the hot spell we have had which has taken any moisture out of the planks.

Another thing I noticed ( after planking) was the hardness of the planks, some planks were sanding down easier than others making it difficult to keep level.
I still have to make a cut out and fit the prow and cut out the gunports as well as some more filling ( glue and wood sandings ).

I did manage to break off the "ears" at the forecastle but managed to refit them by gluing a vertical splint on the outside and filing out the backs of the planks, all quite solid now.

I have a few pictures of the build also my working area including my sons gearbox for his Landrover which he has taken forever to do!

Cheers to all
Peter
File Attachment(s):
resize 5.jpg (268kb) downloaded 97 time(s).
resize 6.jpg (279kb) downloaded 94 time(s).
resize 1.jpg
resize 2.jpg
resize 3.jpg
resize 4.jpg
resize 7.jpg
resize 8.jpg

building Royal Caroline

MWG
#15 Posted : 27 June 2011 14:32:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good stuff Catman!!BigGrin ThumpUp
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

underhill
#16 Posted : 27 June 2011 15:44:11

Snap

I broke the same bits off, and found the wood very hard as well. I'm using new blades for almost every stage.
MWG
#17 Posted : 27 June 2011 15:57:19

Try useing a razor saw as well as a knife I find it works for me with this build.BigGrin LOL

catman275
#18 Posted : 27 June 2011 16:13:30

I used the razor saw as well, and have a diamond sharpening "stone" close at hand.

building Royal Caroline

saintsman123
#19 Posted : 27 June 2011 17:07:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I've been using saws, knives, axes, angle grinders, the odd chisel, but the Chinese meat cleaver worked best.BigGrin

The wood is hard, but that makes it more of an effort, and hopefully, as with most things, the greater the effort the greater the result.

Your looking good catman, I'm at roughly the same stage, just lined the inner bulwarks, but instead of the Ramin wood, I had some walnut 0.6mm lying around, so chose to go with that. I've got some pics so will update my diary soon.

Oh, tbe "ears" came off of mine as well, the inner lining has helped support them a bit, but I think the outer supports will help a great deal once I get to that stage.
Come on you Jimmies
magpie1832
#20 Posted : 27 June 2011 17:13:36

Looking good the Catman. Nice planking.

The ears snapped on mone too. Lol. Common problem.

Chris
On the bench