Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Catman's San Francisco 2 Options
catman275
#21 Posted : 04 July 2011 02:33:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Cutting gunports at moment, have broken an "ear" again aaaagh.
I will put some pics up when I have completed ports and keel etc.
completed..... Endeavour Longboat, San Francisco 2, Virginia 1819

building Royal Caroline

catman275
#22 Posted : 04 July 2011 23:15:30

Grrrrr,
Getting shortchanged again.Cursing
After fitting the rubbing strakes (1.5x3 mil applewood) I realised there wasn't enough left for the rest of the build. At least 2 strips short.
I haven't used it elsewhere so someone needs to get there calculator out.

However I have some oddments left from my Endeavour Launch and will substitute that where it will not be noticed so much.

When I built my Endeavour Launch I had quite a shortage on the rigging, and the masts were delivered in 3m/m instead of 4m/mm.

I wish Atesania Latina would have a kit list of what is in the box, rather than their current method.

example...Part 32 and 39 are the same material and part 32 is cut into different lengths, so it impossible to check the quantities before you start.

I suppose this is the European way of doing things.

I have at least finished the gunports. I am not too happy with them but they will be covered up any way by metal frames.

cheers to all Peter

building Royal Caroline

catman275
#23 Posted : 12 July 2011 18:33:41

Hello crew (including the plastic ones)

Thanks for the earlier comments.
I have just been doing a bit of work on the stern and fitting the lining strakes. Off to one side is the stern gallery which I am slowly assembling.
Apart from that it is going slowly.
I do not work on the model Wed-Fri because of work commitments and the rest of the time I must share between the model SWMBO and the kids.

I have attached a few more pics including one of a new friend who has attached himself to our garden. His owners moved away and left him behind, they know he comes to our garden but they have got another cat and don't seem to want him. Oh well another mouth to feed.

cheers Peter
catman275 attached the following image(s):
resize 1.jpg
resize 3.jpg
resize 6.jpg
resize 8.jpg
resize 9.jpg

building Royal Caroline

MWG
#24 Posted : 12 July 2011 18:47:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Peter your build has really come aliveBigGrin well done you must be really proud of yourselfLOL
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

catman275
#25 Posted : 26 July 2011 21:52:41

Hi Crew,
Just a few pics and a few lines.
I have fitted the stern gallery, the gratings, and various bits.
I have the ladders, forecastle grating and the belaying pin parts on the bench in different stages of construction.

I enjoy reading other peoples build diaries and wonder where you all get the time to do it and find places to put them, especially the members doing multi builds.
My missus says "Thats not going on the front room table you can keep that down the shed". That's what she thinks he he he.
Anyway happy building.

Peter
resize 1.jpg
resize 2.jpg
resize 3.jpg
resize 4.jpg
resize 6.jpg
resize 8.jpg
resize 10.jpg

building Royal Caroline

catman275
#26 Posted : 26 July 2011 22:03:26

Hi again,
There are a few unfinished parts on the pictures, undrilled holes plus a couple of rubbing strakes I forgot about.
I am also thinking of fitting some nails along the rubbing strakes as decoration. I fitted nails on the tops of the handrails and like the effect.
Any thoughts on that anyone?
I know its my build and can paint it purple if I want to, but another persons veiw is always helpful

cheers Peter

building Royal Caroline

MWG
#27 Posted : 26 July 2011 22:12:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great job Peter some really nice touches, good stuffBigGrin BigGrin LOL You should feel very proudThumpUp
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Sietse
#28 Posted : 28 July 2011 13:13:36

Hay Peter, your build looks great, keep it up.
Albatross, build in 1982 from plans.
Hms Bounty, build in 1987 from plans.
Duyfken,build in 1991 from plans
Oosterland, build in 1998 from plans
2010 Hms Victory kit from Deagostini

In the meantime.
2011 Building MFV 1963 fishing trawler from plan.
jonny7england
#29 Posted : 28 July 2011 13:38:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice solid looking build there Peter...Looking real good mate...keep us posted on your progress...ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
karl1113
#30 Posted : 28 July 2011 14:59:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi peter take a look at my santa maria,I have done what you are thinking about,click on the link beside my ugly mush.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
willie
#31 Posted : 28 July 2011 15:34:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

catman275 wrote:
Hi again,
There are a few unfinished parts on the pictures, undrilled holes plus a couple of rubbing strakes I forgot about.
I am also thinking of fitting some nails along the rubbing strakes as decoration. I fitted nails on the tops of the handrails and like the effect.
Any thoughts on that anyone?
I know its my build and can paint it purple if I want to, but another persons veiw is always helpful

cheers Peter

i fit nails to my hand rails then i know it wont fall apart if knock or pull the rigging to hard when its attached to the rails in some models
catman275
#32 Posted : 28 July 2011 17:46:47

Thanks for the comments guys,
I will plan where to put the extra nails while I am fitting the lower deadeyes, which will take some time.
I have fitted everything else except the cannons and the forecastle grating, which I am having to make out of wooden comb slats, which is a nuisance as I have to keep offering them up to the plan to get the right shape.
I don't know whether to fit the shields or not but still have plenty of time to decide.
I too am an ex-smoker. I packed it in 40 years ago when I was 24 I used to wake up in the early hours of the morning coughing my lungs up. At the moment I only get chest problems after I have had a cold etc. And that can take up to six weeks to clear up.

happy modeling
cheers Peter

building Royal Caroline

catman275
#33 Posted : 10 September 2011 23:35:00

Hi modellers,
I hope you are all ok.
I've just put up a few pics but I haven't advanced much due to other commitments ie kids and holiday outings.
I have painted the deadeyes black but have not finished tying off yet because I have not finished lined up the masts. They are slightly out of line.
I like the last picture because the rippled glass table looks a bit like water.(well it does to me)
I have included a shot of the drawing showing the various translations of "dead eyes" interesting to note they are referred to as clumpblocks in the parts list.

cheers Peter
File Attachment(s):
RESIZE1.jpg (265kb) downloaded 93 time(s).
RESIZE2.jpg
RESIZE3.jpg
RESIZE4.jpg
RESIZE5.jpg
RESIZE6.jpg
RESIZE7.jpg
RESIZE8.jpg
RESIZE9.jpg

building Royal Caroline

farrabass
#34 Posted : 10 September 2011 23:55:59

Groups:

Looking nice!
A word of warning though, before you do much more rigging, the rail directly behind the main mast is also a pin rail and will need to be drilled out before you do much more rigging.
There are twelve pins to locate they are place in pairs between the columns, this does not appear in the instructions but is shown on the plan which you might not have recieved yet.
Hope that is of some help to you, I have included a photo from my build as a guide.

This isn't the best picture but you can just about see the pins?
Cheers Steve..
catman275
#35 Posted : 11 September 2011 01:04:57

Cheers farrabass. I will remember that

Peter

building Royal Caroline

MWG
#36 Posted : 11 September 2011 02:47:56

Great job Peter I only hope mine turns out half as goodBigGrin

jonny7england
#37 Posted : 11 September 2011 10:25:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

She's looking good Peter...nice work mate...ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
catman275
#38 Posted : 19 September 2011 23:27:38

I have been making my first attempt at tying ratlines.
The first picture is the foremast set which are a bit saggy in places, the top half is much better, I may redo them later.

The second picture is the mainmast set, a bit blurry but a lot better.
The third picture is the method I have been using to tie the ratlines.

I leave enough space to tie two then move up two. After tying four I glue them with watered down pva. While they are drying, I go and play with my Del Prado Cutty Sark.

Cheers Peter
RESIZE 1.jpg
RESIZE2.jpg
RESIZE 3.jpg

building Royal Caroline

MWG
#39 Posted : 19 September 2011 23:48:10

Great job PeterBigGrin Cool

catman275
#40 Posted : 04 October 2011 15:10:16

As work dictates when I can do any modeling I am still tying lower ratlines.
Very tedious and how my shoulders ache.
I am working between this job and my Cutty Sark so no more pictures until I have completed the lower ratlines
cheers all
Peter

building Royal Caroline