Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Glow start battery Options
semaj
#1 Posted : 30 July 2017 17:38:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Ok so i have found a few old glow starters when clearing up the garage from when i used to have a tamiya nitro rc.

Only problem is that the batteries in them are dead. I have tried charging them in an external digi charger, one seems to be charging but the other just errors so i believe that cell has had it. Theyre only 1300mah anyway so couod do with something a bit higher.

Is there anywhere i can get new batteries or will i have to buy a whole new glow starter? Im really not sure what size the cells are but i think they might be sub c?? Could anyone confirm?

I believe the starters are metered units with the needle on top.
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 30 July 2017 18:42:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Are they the old type of glow starter where the batterys were removeable or are they the current type that has the battery sealed into the unit. If its an old type then you will need to get a new battery the same as your old one making sure the voltage and amperage will match the charger.

It may be a better idea to ditch the old glow starters and buy a new unit. There is a dedicated glow starter available for all our nitro cars in the shop, link below:-

http://www.model-space.c...-heater-and-charger.html
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

semaj
#3 Posted : 30 July 2017 20:33:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

yeah they are quite old, probably at least 10 years old? and yeah the batts are removable, like i mentioned, ive got them in an external charger atm pumping up just to see how they go. did a bit of looking around for replacements and all i can find is ones with tabs soldered on for making into battery packs. i have been looking in a few places at new glow starters and noticed theyre all sealed these days which im not really keen on the idea of as you dont know how well its charging or when its full etc. ive already got 2 chargers that you clip onto the end of the starter.

looks like thats all i can get though, cheers for the link.
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
semaj
#4 Posted : 30 July 2017 20:40:09

i can see on the batts that they're 1.2v, not a clue on the amperage, but they have a 1300mah capacity, nickel cadmium type. there shouldn't be a problem sticking a 2800mah one in should there? if i can get any that is....
Building:
Complete:
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 30 July 2017 20:47:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

As long as the battery amperage matches the charger it will charge fine as for the sealed starters there all like that now.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

semaj
#6 Posted : 30 July 2017 21:01:16

ill just charge them externally, its just trying to find the actual batteries which is my issue. its looking more likely that ill just buy new glow starter, and the one on offer here seems a really good price. im a long way off needing one yet though, haven't received the kit to build yet. just prepping ready for it atm really
Building:
Complete: