Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rear Plate to crankcase Options
Leslie Dean Strahm
#1 Posted : 31 July 2017 21:11:09

Groups: Registered

I am having a great difficulty fixing the rear plate to the crankcase. watching video it looked like it just slips in and rotate to secure. Well, I cannot get that TO FIT JUST IN. Only at one point it slides in and binds when trying to turn to align with cut out for the piston. Any suggestions', it is stage 59.
Thanks
Les Strahm
magpie1832
#2 Posted : 31 July 2017 23:56:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Les,
Is the recoil starter shaft located properly in its peg also have you tried the rear plate in position without the shaft in place to see if it fits ok. The rear plate will only go into position one way because of the cutout for the piston .Also did you fit the gasket in place.
You shouldn't need to turn the back plate to get it in place. Line the cutout up then slowly lower the plate in position as the video shows.

Is there any chance of you doing a little video of the problem so I could get a better understanding of the problem you have.

Many thanks Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Leslie Dean Strahm
#3 Posted : 02 August 2017 05:17:47

It will not slip in as the video shows and yes I will take video and forward to you. I have tried many attempts with and without gasket and it will not drop in.
Leslie Dean Strahm
#4 Posted : 02 August 2017 17:49:58

Chris, I could not get the video to up load. Took on iPad, but I did upload to YouTube.
It is called, "Huracan Engine end plate"
Hope this helps or if not maybe a short lesson on how to upload the video, I suspect not the correct format.
Les

File Attachment(s):
IMG_0033.JPG (1,469kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
IMG_0030.JPG (2,368kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
magpie1832
#5 Posted : 02 August 2017 19:38:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Les
I just watched the video. I understand what you mean. Please could you take a picture of the inside of the crankcase looking directly inside and a head on picture of the end plate looking at the side that goes inside the crankcase.
This way I can see which part may need replacing.

Cheers Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Leslie Dean Strahm
#6 Posted : 02 August 2017 21:02:32

Loaded pictures in post # 4.
Les
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0030.JPG (2,368kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
IMG_0032.JPG (1,401kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
magpie1832
#7 Posted : 02 August 2017 21:30:13

Hi Les,
Looking a it it seems the crankshaft is sitting too far out. Is it seated properly through the casing. as you show in the video it only goes in so far if you turn it. The notch in the plate is sliding in more where the conrod pin is sat at the bottom of you crank case.

So that suggests the shaft isn't all the way through completely. You may need to go back to Stage 57 and just go through it slowly to see if there are any discrepancies in anything. Remove the crankshaft then retry the backplate. rebuild slowly trying the plate after each step until it either slots together or it goes wrong again. Then we can determine the part. Also Check the Main bearing is pushed in, too the correct depth as this will also hold the crank out.

Stage 57 pic 4 shows how much of the crank should stick out.

Hope this helps Les.

Chris
magpie1832 attached the following image(s):
Captur1e.JPG
Captu2e.JPG
On the bench

Leslie Dean Strahm
#8 Posted : 03 August 2017 01:12:28

I will do that, but if the piston moves up and down and only stops as it reaches tdc, due to compression, it would seem that the crank is in properly. However, I will go,back at stage 57 and take apart attempt to insert the end plate as I go through the install.
Thanks Chris and will get back when completed you suggestion.
Les
File Attachment(s):
IMG_3350.JPG (1,971kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
IMG_3351.JPG (2,583kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
Leslie Dean Strahm
#9 Posted : 03 August 2017 17:08:45

I have posted photos on #8 and #9 showing everything removed from crankcase and the end plate still will not fit, one or the other is to small or out of round or something. Is it possible to get one or both properly fit and shipped to me?
Thanks Chris,
Les
File Attachment(s):
IMG_3350.JPG (1,971kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
IMG_3351.JPG (2,583kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
Leslie Dean Strahm
#10 Posted : 03 August 2017 17:46:36

Also, when refitting sleeve in Stage 57, time 13' when the sleeve in inserted in the piston housing, and held in place as it would be when head in installed, the piston gets stuck and have to push from Topom down to release the piston to go back down. That seems a bit strange. Is that normal? If not what is causing it to hang up?
Thanks Chris,
Les
magpie1832
#11 Posted : 03 August 2017 21:10:14

Hi Les,
From your explanation it sounds like it could be the backplate that is at fault. If you contact Customer services and request a replacement part then see if that solves your problem. If that doesn't help then the crank case would need replacing too.

As for the piston sticking that is normal as they are tapered to create compression.

Many Thanks Chris Cool

On the bench

arpurchase
#12 Posted : 03 August 2017 21:24:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Information on ABS engines can be found here

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=12278
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

darbyvet
#13 Posted : 03 August 2017 22:01:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

I sent you a pm about replacement parts

Carl