Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages 123>»
Daffy's L'HERMIONE La Fayette Options
daffy09
#1 Posted : 05 August 2017 14:23:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello again my friends.
It's been a while since I was able to produce a build log on here, so I'm pleased that I'm now able to say that after a lot of indecision, finally settled on this model. I have a few items to buy before I make a start (I desperately need a new compressor for my airbrush, and it goes without saying I shall need more paint).
A BRIEF HISTORY:
The original 'HERMIONE' was a 'Concorde-class' 12-pounder frigate
She was laid down in March 1778 and launched on 28th April 1779.
Her length was 44.2 m (145 ft) - Beam 11.24m (36.9ft) - a complement of 255 and 32 guns consisting of 26 x 12-pounder long guns, and 6 x 6-pounder long guns.
Hermione became famous when, in 1780, she ferried general LaFayette to the American continent for support to Americans in the American Revolutionary War.
In 1782, Hermione returned to France where she formed part of a squadron sent to India to help against the British. However, peace was declared and the ship returned to Rochefort in April 1784.
While in service against the Brits again, on September 20th, 1793, she ran aground off Le Croisic and was wrecked by heavy seas.
RECONSTRUCTION:
In 1997, a reconstruction project began in Rochefort. The new ship was named L'Hermione. On April 18th, 2015 the full-sized replica started a return voyage to the United States from Rochefort, France and arrived off the American coast in June 2015.
THE MODEL:
SCALE: 1:89
LENGTH: 750mm
WIDTH: 284mm

More to follow
happy building
David (daffy09)
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 05 August 2017 14:41:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice to see you building again David looking forward to seeing your build of this stunning ship Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
daffy09
#3 Posted : 05 August 2017 14:52:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi again
Here are a few pictures of L'hermione being unboxed.
@Thanks Martyn, it's good to be back.
It was delivered by Royal mail and the packaging was excellent, it was very well protected. Inside the box, everything was individually wrapped and very well secured. The quality of the materials is excellent and I'm glad to say that all the laser-cut wood is ply and NOT the dreaded MDF (so no masks required for building LOL).
See you soon with another update.
Happy building
David
daffy09 attached the following image(s):
_MG_2139 (Small).JPG
_MG_2140 (Small).JPG
_MG_2143 (Small).JPG
_MG_2144 (Small).JPG
_MG_2146 (Small).JPG
_MG_2147 (Small).JPG
_MG_2148 (Small).JPG
_MG_2149 (Small).JPG
_MG_2152 (Small).JPG
_MG_2153 (Small).JPG
_MG_2155 (Small).JPG
_MG_2156 (Small).JPG
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 05 August 2017 14:57:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good to see you again David.BigGrin

Look forward to seeing your work on this one when you get up and running.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Martyn Ingram
#5 Posted : 05 August 2017 14:59:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin I must admit I am very tempted by this kit and seeing the contents it's getting hard to resist Drool . Good luck with the build m8

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
daffy09
#6 Posted : 05 August 2017 15:12:19

Thank you
@delboy
@Martyn
I have to make a confession to you in that it was my partner as much as me who chose this because she "loved the colours", and as I like to live in peace and harmony at home, and I didn't want to go through the U96 experience again so I let her make the decision for me, but I don't mind really because it is an exceptional model.
More soon
Happy building
David
daffy09
#7 Posted : 05 August 2017 15:20:15

Hi again,
As the build instructions are on a DVD, I decided that it would be appropriate to print out the instructions so that I could read through them while sitting in my favourite chair rather than at the PC monitor.
After doing this, I can see why they are on DVD.
more soon
Happy building
David
_MG_2157_1 (Small).JPG
jase
#8 Posted : 05 August 2017 16:08:46

Your new challenge looks good. looking forward to seeing you cast off

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
tigerace
#9 Posted : 05 August 2017 16:32:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Look`s a very nice kit DavidBigGrin will be following you on this BigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

daffy09
#10 Posted : 05 August 2017 17:09:17

Thanks Phil, I'll try to do it justice.
@ Jase. thanks, I always welcome your comments.
Before I start building, thought I'd quickly knock up a jig for the keel to sit in. So out came the trusty old MDF shelf which was used in a previous build and some metal angle brackets.
Think I'm almost ready to make a start.
More soon
Happy building
David

_MG_2160 (Small).JPG
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 05 August 2017 17:13:20

BigGrin Nice kit and a nice start , will be watchingCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

daffy09
#12 Posted : 05 August 2017 17:19:56

COLOURS:
Hi again friends, I've never attempted a painted model of this vintage and the instructions are not too specific about the paint colours, saying only to use white, black, pastel yellow, blue and red.
I can only assume that the red would refer to a red ochre but really have no idea about what the other colours may be and would really appreciate any helpful suggestions from you guys out there. The websites I have visited in my early research don't seem to mention anything about her colour scheme.
Help please!!!
Happy building
David
Martyn Ingram
#13 Posted : 05 August 2017 17:40:39

BigGrin The colours would probably be French Blue Red Ochre Tar Black and Light Yellow. Blue of that era was a very expensive pigment so was used sparingly unless it was a Royal ship like the Soleil Royal where money was no object Cool

Hope this helps

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
daffy09
#14 Posted : 05 August 2017 18:47:34

Yes, Martyn, that is helpful. I kinda guessed the red would be red ochre but had no idea what the other particular colours would be. I'll look at buying some of those soon.
Happy building
David
daffy09
#15 Posted : 05 August 2017 22:19:47

STAGE 01
Alright then, this evening saw me working through stage 01 of the build. This consisted of joining parts #1A and #1B (the two halves of the keel) and placing and glueing a stiffener (part #2 x 2) to each side of the join and clamping until dry.
The second operation is to glue all the frames #3 through #12 onto the keel. Each frame was glued into its associated slot - all the parts are clearly numbered. The frames were checked for square with the 90-degree tool in the AL micro measurement set.
Finally, the 3 mast supports were located and glued into their respective slots on the keel and the two horizontal deck supports were glued into the slots in frame #9.
All the parts were given the once-over with a sanding block after being cut out from the board to remove any burrs and were dry-fitted in their respective slots before finally glueing in place.
I am finding the parts to be of very good quality and very little if any work needs doing to get them fit together correctly.
Happy building
David
_MG_2161 (Small).JPG
_MG_2162 (Small).JPG
_MG_2163 (Small).JPG
_MG_2164 (Small).JPG
_MG_2166 (Small).JPG
_MG_2167 (Small).JPG
_MG_2168 (Small).JPG
_MG_2172 (Small).JPG
_MG_2173 (Small).JPG
_MG_2174 (Small).JPG
_MG_2175 (Small).JPG
IMG_2169 (Small).JPG
daffy09
#16 Posted : 05 August 2017 22:37:40

_MG_2176 (Small).JPG
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 05 August 2017 23:47:26

BigGrin Looking good and some nicely cut parts going togetherCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Spal
#18 Posted : 06 August 2017 00:44:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start to this build BigGrin it looks a colourful ship.

Al
jase
#19 Posted : 06 August 2017 16:06:08

loverly update. I always think you get a good return on not much time spent at the start of a build

looking good

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
daffy09
#20 Posted : 06 August 2017 16:37:11

Hi
@Andy
@Spal
@Jase
Thanks for looking in. You're comments always welcome here.
Another post coming this evening.
Happy building
David