Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
HMS Hood & Artwox wooden decks Options
ALW
#1 Posted : 07 August 2017 19:37:29

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello to all!

I am just about to fit the Artwox wooden deck to the foredeck
of Trumpeter's HMS Hood.

In the instructions (please see photo) it says to remove kit mould (red zone).

If I do this won't this spoil the model as these sections are raised?

Artwox provide PE parts to fit into the existing deck but they are not raised.

Has anyone fitted these decks? Thank you

Alan
ALW attached the following image(s):
IMG_3713 (2) (450x338).jpg
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 07 August 2017 20:57:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Alan, BigGrin

I`ve not fitted these particular upgrade parts, but the idea is the same with many brass etch upgrade sets.

When you remove the molding from the forward deck, all you are removing is the raised detail. This will leave you with a flat deck in those "red marked" areas.

Then when you add the brass etch to the flat deck, you will have raised areas where the etch is added. The brass etch is fitted onto, not into, the deck. The brass etch should have sharper definition of the detail for that area than the plastic had.

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

jase
#3 Posted : 07 August 2017 21:45:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Often they supply alternative anchor chain to replace the chain moulded on by the manufacturer, it is likely they won't you to remove any moulding. the two little red rectangles are likely to be the chain stay mount points which may be on the etch chain.

look at your build instructions with the etch and see what is done in that area, should help you work out what to do.

Is this the 1:350 kit? if So I have built it and its very good indeed

Enjoy

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
ALW
#4 Posted : 07 August 2017 22:13:34

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Derek, Thanks Jase.

I guessed that's what needed to be done so treated myself to a Dremel
for the task!

Jase, this is the 1/200 scale version. It's huge!

Thank you both once again. Your input is very much appreciated.

Regards.

Alan
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 07 August 2017 22:18:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

ALW wrote:
Thanks Derek, Thanks Jase.

I guessed that's what needed to be done so treated myself to a Dremel
for the task!

Jase, this is the 1/200 scale version. It's huge!

Thank you both once again. Your input is very much appreciated.

Regards.

Alan

No problem Alan, BigGrin

One word of caution though. Blink

Be very careful with the Dremel, it will eat plastic.

Careful work with a scalpel is much more controlable.

Good luck

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

ALW
#6 Posted : 07 August 2017 22:42:29

Hi Derek

Your comments are noted. I tried it on an old piece of sprue. It's
fairly controllable at it's lowest speed but I will be mindful.

Luckily I just happen to have a second foredeck kicking around so if I do
make a mistake at least I'll have another chance!

Cheers

Alan
jase
#7 Posted : 08 August 2017 07:31:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I agree with the above the drivel will be to fast and will effectively melt the plastic with the friction even at the lowest speed. best advice is to scrape the detail with a sharp craft knife and then use an abrasive stick manually to finish off.

I have the 1:200 scale on order so looking forward to the pictures of your progress

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
tigerace
#8 Posted : 08 August 2017 13:13:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

yep just go steady with itBlink but i usually scrape the detail off with a sharp blade ,but you`ll be fineBigGrin looking forward to see how it goesBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

ALW
#9 Posted : 08 August 2017 16:50:48

Thank you for your replies. I will take heed
from your advice and scrape it manually.

I'm sure I can find some use for the DremelBigGrin

Regards
Alan
jase
#10 Posted : 08 August 2017 17:44:05

ALW wrote:
Thank you for your replies. I will take heed
from your advice and scrape it manually.

I'm sure I can find some use for the DremelBigGrin

Regards
Alan

I am sure there are a lot of scuttles to drill out for startersBigGrin

then you can fill them with this and get some great looking scuttles,

https://www.emodels.co.u...krystal-klear-mskk.html

Jase
-Mark Twain
ALW
#11 Posted : 10 August 2017 13:56:26

The front end of the foredeck done-found it a bit nail-biting!
At last I can move on.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Alan
File Attachment(s):
IMG_3724.JPG (319kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
tigerace
#12 Posted : 10 August 2017 15:53:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great result on the deck AlanBigGrin well done ThumpUp regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

ALW
#13 Posted : 10 August 2017 16:21:27

Thanks Phil

Too expensive to make too many mistakes!

Regards.

Alan
jase
#14 Posted : 10 August 2017 23:15:44

looks great
-Mark Twain
davetwin
#15 Posted : 11 August 2017 14:54:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It looks so much better with the wooden deck attached, they really do make a massive difference Cool
ALW
#16 Posted : 13 August 2017 21:38:52

All lower decks complete.

Really looking forward to building proper now.

File Attachment(s):
IMG_3735.JPG (270kb) downloaded 37 time(s).
Gandale
#17 Posted : 13 August 2017 22:45:45

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks great, very nice work....Drool Drool

If you reduce the size of your pics to ensure they are no larger than 148kb then you'll find they will show on your posts. This also saves members from having to download your images to view....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#18 Posted : 14 August 2017 00:21:13

Looking very neat. BigGrin

Well done. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

ALW
#19 Posted : 14 August 2017 05:54:40

Thank you

I think it complements the overall look
really nicely too.

Alan, With regard to image sizing I usually do
reduce them sufficiently but I'm having a
bit of a problem with my PC and can't
work out how to resolve it but will be looking into
it. I know it's a bit of a pain downloading
each time so will get this sorted ASAP. Thanks
for looking in.

Regards

Alan
tigerace
#20 Posted : 14 August 2017 13:22:28

Yep well worth it AlanDrool Drool looks superbBigGrin ThumpUp regards PhilCool