Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Glue Suggestions Options
conqueror060
#1 Posted : 18 August 2017 08:42:59

Groups: Registered

I'm going to start the C57 build this weekend. Because I'm not so sure what glues I need to use on the build I would appreciate your help!

The instrustions said 3 type of glues (except instant glue which I already have)

- Multi-Propose adhesive
- Synthetic Rubber adhesive
- Epoxy adhesive

What are you using and you suggest for each of the types?

Thank you in advance!
davetwin
#2 Posted : 20 August 2017 14:55:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Im just using Araldite on my build, its worked for all my needs.

One tip I would give is to put the hand rails through the eylets when setting them in place to make sure they are perfectly aligned. If they are you will end up scraping the paint off the hand rails.
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 20 August 2017 20:29:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I just used thick superglue and a small amount of epoxy on my build.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Howard
#4 Posted : 10 November 2018 23:33:35

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase wrote:
I just used thick superglue and a small amount of epoxy on my build.

I too have puzzled over the question of glue. I usually look to Amazon for my needs as I am house bound. Well, the site offers a synthetic rubber cement but it took for ever to get to me here in Canada. I found out it came from India. The glue is very slow curing and they suggest to apply glue both pieces that need to be joined 10 minutes before pressing them together. Not a glue I am likely to be using very often!

I then tryed medium CA glue but found it strips the -repainted surface and that is not a great way to go with the train model. I have tried Areldite and cannot abide the stink it makes. I have some BSI epoxy but that too has a pretty bad smell but at a streach I would use it - not sure how the 15minute cure will work for me but it’s better than having parts sit for 10min a time before assembly.

I am thinking my only other option is to try the suggestion of a thick superglue but I wonder if that too will burn the paint? Can you comment please.
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 11 November 2018 09:31:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

As I said before I used a thick superglue but applied it in very small amounts using a tooth pick.

The epoxy I used was ZAPP,s 5 minute epoxy which should be easily available in the US as its an Americam product, again apply small amounts with a tooth pick.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Howard
#6 Posted : 14 November 2018 18:41:41

I was successful with the 15 min BSI epoxy applied with a tooth pick. I think I will get ahold of the 5 min version you suggest. I think the mixing bit was a bit of a bridge for me to cross after the easy use of CA. Anyway, I will soon be through this major glue stage now.

Who do I ask about obtaining a copy of the 11 and 12 stage instructions for the loco? They only have upto 9 on the USA site and the UK version seem the pictures don’t display,inside the PDF.
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 14 November 2018 21:02:31

Hi Howard

The IT team have been asked to upload them onto the US site.

Andy

Howard
#8 Posted : 15 November 2018 04:04:38

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your help - appreciated.

Regards,
Howard