Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 5 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 20 August 2017 18:41:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Here, I have pieced together the start of the light saber holder/ejector.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 134.jpg
Photo 135.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 20 August 2017 18:46:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

The next stage was to prime all the leg, power pack parts. Once this had time to dry, I then painted with silver paint.
Photo 136.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 20 August 2017 18:53:48

Now the silver paint has had 48 hours drying time, I then masked off the power bus connector to keep it silver rather than white. I also used some Humrol maskol as I did in the previous steps.
The second picture shows, the piece painted white. I have also painted the screw plugs as I will have these in place when weathering with oils.
Photo 137.jpg
Photo 138.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 20 August 2017 18:56:15

Here, I have masked off the latches that attach to the power cell, ready to paint the small inner part blue.
Photo 139.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 20 August 2017 19:04:18

These pictures show the silver parts pre-weathered, and the bottom leg piece temporarily put together, ready for me to do the final weathering, before I disassemble it again and attach it permanently to the leg. I have done it this way, as there are areas that will be difficult to reach once in place.
I will also attach the screw plugs once dried thoroughly, so they are weathered at the same time. These should be easy to remove from the inside before I begin the assembly.
Photo 140.jpg
Photo 141.jpg
Photo 142.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 28 August 2017 20:18:54

here, I finish off the light saber holder/ejector
Photo 143.jpg
Photo 144.jpg
Photo 146.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 28 August 2017 20:23:25

Next, we move on to the next leg parts. Here, you can see I have weathered the metal parts that place in the upper arm panel, using the same method as before. I have placed them back in their package for safe keeping, until I am ready to attach them.
I also primed the upper arm piece as I have done in previously.
Photo 147.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 28 August 2017 20:25:18

Once the primer has had enough time to dry, I then painted it silver.
This will have a few days to dry and harden before using the Maskol and painting it white.
Photo 148.jpg
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 03 September 2017 17:51:36

Now the silver paint has had time to harden, I have used some Maskol, as before, for the chipping effect. The second picture is the piece painted with satin white. I will allow this to dry before rubbing the Maskol away. I will also be waiting to piece together and paint the other parts before weathering.
Photo 149.jpg
Photo 150.jpg
Markwarren
#10 Posted : 03 September 2017 18:03:27

Next, I started weathering the foot section. The pieces have not been fixed to the leg yet, as it is easier to paint them separately. Here, you can see I have made a start on the side foot, this was done with the two sections attached with each other, holding the back-piece whist painting the other. As I am using oils for this, it will take time to dry. I will let the first weathered part dry, then I will seal it with satin varnish as I have done with all the other parts. This will allow me to handle that piece, once dry, to start painting the inner foot part. The paints I used were Mig oils, sand, dark mud and good old starship filth. The whole process is very time consuming. This part alone took around four hours, but I think it’s worth the effort.
Photo 151.jpg
Photo 152.jpg
Photo 153.jpg
Photo 154.jpg
Markwarren
#11 Posted : 07 September 2017 20:59:39

Quick midweek update. I have allowed the half section of the foot to dry over several days, so I can varnish this piece, allowing me to handle that part to finish the rest of the foot. I used satin varnish giving a hard finish, so any dirt will wipe away without damaging the paintwork.
Once I have finished weathering the whole foot, and varnished it all, I will use a toothbrush method I used on the falcon surface, to make mud and sand splatters on that area. Then a final coat of varnish before attaching it all to the leg section.
Photo 155.jpg
Markwarren
#12 Posted : 07 September 2017 21:00:33

I have also decided to add some small strong magnets to keep the copper bus cable in place. First, I drilled a hole into each connector. This was done as the cables have a beveled end, as shown, this would allow a stronger fix. I super glued the magnets on the back of the supplied part, as shown.
The final picture shows the cable in place being held in with the magnet. I will do this on the other inner leg section, once weathered.

Photo 156.jpg
Photo 159.jpg
Photo 157.jpg
Photo 158.jpg
Photo 160.jpg
Photo 161.jpg
Photo 162.jpg
Photo 163.jpg
Markwarren
#13 Posted : 12 September 2017 13:41:36

I have started weathering the second part of the foot section. I placed the parts together loosely, held together with tape to the inside of the foot. This gave me the chance to hold the leg and the parts already varnished, so not to handle the parts I was painting and getting any figure prints on it. The bottom foot section was done separately. I will now allow these to dry for several days before applying the varnish to seal the paint.
The next stage will be to weather the back of the leg, once the lugs have been placed into the screw holes. Although I have painted the power pack part of the foot, minus the lugs, these will be painted, just before I apply the splatter sand and mud over this area, as a final coat of varnish will again be applied. I will also be attaching a couple of magnets to the power back to hold the bus cables as I did in my last post. More soon..

Photo 168.jpg
Photo 164.jpg
Photo 165.jpg
Photo 166.jpg
Photo 167.jpg