Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages 123>»
Malc's Mclaren M19C Options
RM1
#1 Posted : 21 August 2017 09:23:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I've rested long enough after finishing the 1/8 Senna MP4/4 so it's time to get cracking on another ( yes another ! ) Mclaren for the collection. This is an "old timer" that I really wanted but unfortunately that has meant spending quite a lot on the kit.
Anyway I took the plunge ( after approval from the resident CFO ) and got this MFH set.
I was really not expecting it to be virtually all die cast parts. !! But it all looks amazing and although I'm going to have to learn a few things to build it, I'm very excited to get going.

The M19 was racing between 1971 and 1973 and only managed one victory ( at Kyalami I'm glad to say ) in 1972 with Denny Hulme at the wheel. They were 3rd in the constructors that year.

The M23 replaced this car for the South african GP in 1973.

Malc.
RM1 attached the following image(s):
m19-1.jpg
RM1
#2 Posted : 21 August 2017 09:25:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

m19-2.jpg
m19-3.jpg
RM1
#3 Posted : 21 August 2017 09:25:46

m19-4.jpg
ModelMania
#4 Posted : 21 August 2017 14:21:18

Groups:

Ooooh!! I like that Malc!! Drool Drool ThumpUp

One of my favourite F1 colour schemes, always liked the look of it on the 'Yardley BRM' of the same period but equally nice on the McLaren. I am really, really looking forward to this build Malc, I wish you luck and will be following intently!!

If you need any help with the "learning of new things" as you put it, then just ask and I will help if I can? Cool ThumpUp

P.S. - You can NEVER have too many F1 McLarens my friend!! Wink Wink

Kev Smile
RM1
#5 Posted : 21 August 2017 14:43:56

ModelMania wrote:
Ooooh!! I like that Malc!! Drool Drool ThumpUp

One of my favourite F1 colour schemes, always liked the look of it on the 'Yardley BRM' of the same period but equally nice on the McLaren. I am really, really looking forward to this build Malc, I wish you luck and will be following intently!!

If you need any help with the "learning of new things" as you put it, then just ask and I will help if I can? Cool ThumpUp

P.S. - You can NEVER have too many F1 McLarens my friend!! Wink Wink

Kev Smile

Thanks for the offer of advice. This is my first diecast model so I'm sure to have plenty of questions as we go.

Cheers Malc.
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 21 August 2017 18:44:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Malc

Nice kit there and you will have fun building her. Lots of metal but they build into strong cars.

One tip would be to make sure all the holes needed to be drilled out are done before you assemble and double check the part its easy to miss one and it will be in an impossible place to get at after assembly.

The metal parts look hard but are quite soft so gently remove any burrs/ casting lines with a fine file or sanding stick. The etch provided is top quality but slightly thicker than usual I have found with there 1/12 kits and before you say it I noticed yours is 1/20.

The resin parts are well cast but will need some clean up again take your time for the best results.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#7 Posted : 21 August 2017 22:27:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great looking kit and it'll be a joy to follow your progress with this one.... good luck with the build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#8 Posted : 22 August 2017 18:27:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Another quality looking MFH kit to follow. Good luck With the build Cool
RM1
#9 Posted : 24 August 2017 15:24:31

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Malc

Nice kit there and you will have fun building her. Lots of metal but they build into strong cars.

One tip would be to make sure all the holes needed to be drilled out are done before you assemble and double check the part its easy to miss one and it will be in an impossible place to get at after assembly.

The metal parts look hard but are quite soft so gently remove any burrs/ casting lines with a fine file or sanding stick. The etch provided is top quality but slightly thicker than usual I have found with there 1/12 kits and before you say it I noticed yours is 1/20.

The resin parts are well cast but will need some clean up again take your time for the best results.

AndyCool

Thanks for the tips Andy. I've already frightened myself with the softness of the parts. Easy to bend but not easy to make straight ! BigGrin

ModelMania
#10 Posted : 24 August 2017 18:34:24

Groups:

Just take your time and proceed with caution and you'll nail it Malc. If your previous builds are anything to go by you'll make a very nice job of building this kit I'm sure.

Looking forward to your diary! Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
RM1
#11 Posted : 30 August 2017 12:11:08

ModelMania wrote:
Just take your time and proceed with caution and you'll nail it Malc. If your previous builds are anything to go by you'll make a very nice job of building this kit I'm sure.

Looking forward to your diary! Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Thanks Kev,
I hope to post some pictures this week.
Malc.
ModelMania
#12 Posted : 30 August 2017 14:32:56

Groups:

Can't wait to see some pics Malc, I'm really looking forward to the start of this build and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it!! Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
RM1
#13 Posted : 03 September 2017 11:30:45

I usually like to start with the engine/gearbox but I'm going to follow the instructions on this one. It's definitely worth looking through all the stages in advance as the supplied assembly drawings are just a good guide to where things go and there is prep' work needed ( drilling, fitting etc. ) before committing to the glue ! BigGrin

So here goes with the structure of the Tub. The castings are very detailed but need some polishing to get a nice shiny metallic look. Some of the parts have scratches which are just not going to polish out without removal of some of the features. It won't really show in the finished model so I'm not too concerned about them.

I tried a soft rotary brush on the end of a Dremel tool but found that to be too coarse on large surfaces. Tamiya polishing compounds and a finish with a clean cloth and elbow grease seemed to work the best.

I've just positioned the parts in these pictures and will be drilling and tapping ( M1.4 thread ). Just received drills and taps from King Microscrews.

Malc.
m19-5.jpg
m19-6.jpg
m19-7.jpg
m19-8.jpg
arpurchase
#14 Posted : 03 September 2017 13:43:57

BigGrin Nice start, the metal parts can take some fettling but worth it in the endCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#15 Posted : 03 September 2017 16:50:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great to see you getting started in on this. There is some lovely looking detail on the parts Drool
Markwarren
#16 Posted : 03 September 2017 17:40:44

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start Malc, some lovely detail in this model.

Mark
ModelMania
#17 Posted : 05 September 2017 11:10:32

Groups:

A very nice start to your build Malc. I'm very much looking forward to seeing this one come together, well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
RM1
#18 Posted : 05 September 2017 14:30:40

Thanks for looking in guys and for the encouraging comments.
Malc.
RM1
#19 Posted : 10 September 2017 12:00:57

A little more progress this week with the addition of the Seat and fire extinguisher.
m19-9.jpg
m19-10.jpg
RM1
#20 Posted : 10 September 2017 12:02:47

Assembled with the pedal bracket in place.
m19-11.jpg
m19-12.jpg
m19-13.jpg