Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<23456>»
jpaige SOTS new build Options
tigerace
#61 Posted : 12 November 2017 13:24:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Great updatesBigGrin you are really making a difference with your modsCool well doneDrool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

jpaige
#62 Posted : 13 November 2017 00:42:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hello again,
Finishing up on deck framing. While the last coat of varnish is drying on the cargo hatch frames I address the masts. Every opening in the decking needs some framing to mount the decking to. The main mast hasn't been much of a bother so far but the foremast has a problem. The mast is 8mm diameter but the deck holes are 10mm. I need to do something to tighten up the fit in the first 2 decks while I can still access them. I decide to make some washers to make up the difference. I've been scavenging the deck pieces for awhile now so I'm pretty committed to the path I'm on.

I'll also need something for the main mast for decking so I made some for a 10mm mast also.

The foremast fitted and done.

Next the main mast

Yeah, that one turned on me when I clamped it Cursing

With the masts sorted out it's the hatches turn.

I have some stuff coming in the mail, some 2'nd deck dressing up, it's just too bare down there now. Then some deck planking BigGrin Stay tuned.

Gandale
#63 Posted : 13 November 2017 09:40:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Impressed by your build methods, very nice work throughout.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
jpaige
#64 Posted : 14 November 2017 03:19:38

Gandale wrote:
Impressed by your build methods, very nice work throughout.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan

Thanks, I call it "making it up as I go" Blushing
birdaj2
#65 Posted : 14 November 2017 10:22:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well i am very impressed by what you are doing. Its all beyond my capabilities but really good to see the resilts from someone that has the skills to do this.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jpaige
#66 Posted : 17 December 2017 04:44:07

Hello again,
So I was wanting to go hard on the 3'rd deck planking but I've been delayed waiting on stuff to dress up the 2'nd deck. I've already made up some stuff on my own, I made a couple of racks to hold some barrels, a staircase going down and a sliding hatch cover for the stairs.

So as I wait for more grates in the mail I decided to put some work on the launch. I wasn't really planning on working on this until I had all the decking done on the big girl but I need something to do. I've had some ideas on how I would proceed on the launch for awhile. The first one was to sand and break the inside edges of the ribs before they get glued onto the jig. I thought this would be the best time as once it's planked and split from the jig access would be compromised.

I'm not sure how much this picture shows but all the sharp edges and blends have been sanded and softened a bit. The results will show when the inside is painted
I was also thinking to infill the whole thing because the ribs are so thin and prone to breakage when fairing. the bow section was pretty straight forward, just filled in with balsa bits and scraps on hand. I had bought a 1" x 2" x 12" piece of balsa I had planned to use to fill the bulk of the launch but as I proceeded it went south rapidly.
Cutting 1/4" slices turned out being... Problematical Cursing

Plan B was a no brainer. I bought a plethora of 1/8" x 1/4" x 24" balsa for the gun port framing. It took a minimal amount of sanding and fitting to get at least some support for the ribs.

As you can see I also infilled the stern section for fairing which worked out very well.

In case anyone is wondering, the infills are only glued to the jig, they will come away when the boat is cut apart. Cool

I'm ready to start planking now. This should be interesting...Blink
Gandale
#67 Posted : 17 December 2017 12:42:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice work indeed....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#68 Posted : 17 December 2017 14:57:46

Groups:

Looking good and interesting watching how your going about the build Cool
jpaige
#69 Posted : 10 February 2018 04:38:07

Hello again,
It's been awhile since the last update. I moved the build to the house over the holidays. I wasn't able to spend as much time on it as I would like at work.

Continued work on the launch. A bit more fiddley than I thought.

The hardest part was finding a way to hold the strips in place while setting. I went with rubber bands. Lots and lots of rubber bandsLaugh

I ended up with 8 strips laid down by the time I got all the stuff I was waiting on to continue work on the big girl. Actually I had more but ended up pulling some back off that I didn't like how they were going.

So... Back to the ship. I made 2 more grates for the 2'nd deck. These turned out really well
, better than the first 2 I think. The first ones I was engineering the how's as I was building. My machinist tendencies come out, concentrating on making sure everything is perfectly flat, square and parallel. Not bad things to aspire to, but my edges were a bit too sharp. I did a bit more softening of the edges this time. A little more of a used, worn feel.

So lets just go ahead and get everything buttoned up on deck 2 and on to decking

Decking. Yeah..... I had the concept of what I wanted to achieve and a pretty good idea of how to do it. The bit I did on the 2'nd deck was a good proof of concept, but that was planking over a flat deck. They were glued down to the deck along their entire length, where planking over ribs leaves them only glued down on the tops of the ribs. I could tell after the first plank this was going to be a problem. Too much flexibility. I need to be able to sand it when it's done. Plan B was glue the edges together too. I thought that would be messier than I like so wasn't a fan. I really like to be able to clamp or weight or compress things together when I glue. So, plan C. And this one was a good one. I can glue strips parallel to the planks on the bottom side in between the ribs. This will give at least 80% glued area. And I'll be able to clamp. Nice!!BigGrin

Well, the High fives and back slaps came to a screeching halt almost immediately. #1 I wasn't actually able to clamp. #2 I would be slowly planking over the gap I needed to be able to glue them to the underside Huh Damn, I really liked this idea but out it comes

OK, plan D.

Lets stick with the underside support but I'll go perpendicular instead. Evenly spaced supports can reach to the balsa I put in between the ribs. I'll glue then to the center plank before I install it, I can get them perfectly flat. This is important because as I plank from the center out the deck curves down, which will press the supports into the bottom of the deck planks. Basically self clamping.

Tomick
#70 Posted : 10 February 2018 07:24:48

Groups:

Nice update Cool
Gandale
#71 Posted : 10 February 2018 10:19:12

Great to see an update on this, she really is coming along beautifully.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#72 Posted : 10 February 2018 11:23:05

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Some nice steady work, she looking really good.ThumpUp

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#73 Posted : 10 February 2018 11:39:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

What a fantastic build diary! A true pleasure to read. Are you sure this is your first boat build? Some of your solutions are outstanding, as is your build.Love . Keep up the great work
Regards Gray
magpie1832
#74 Posted : 10 February 2018 15:58:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice work indeed, your doing such a great job .

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

delboy271155
#75 Posted : 10 February 2018 18:16:52

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looking very good. Excellent work with the sloped deck.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

jpaige
#76 Posted : 24 March 2018 23:59:06

Hello again everyone. Decking still continues but it is a slow process. I'm thinking of doing a post of the process I've developed for this style of planking. In the meantime...BigGrin The foredeck is planned to be next. The decking is going to be a little different (still curved) because the front and rear edges are not straight. This means things get weird where the deck and vertical surfaces meet. I'm going to go with a modular approach. I'm dividing the foredeck structure in 3 parts, the deck, the front wall and the back wall. So I've gone ahead and made the front wall. The whole concept was I have the top and bottom profiles, I just need to frame them together in place and then remove them for planking with the bamboo strips. I like this idea even more because finishing of all 3 items, sanding and varnish/painting will be much easier when they are off the ship. It's working so far, I was able to dial in the fit pretty tight.

Stay tuned..Cool
Gandale
#77 Posted : 25 March 2018 00:12:50

Interesting approach and beautifully worked.... Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#78 Posted : 25 March 2018 09:32:39

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work, looks excellent.Love

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#79 Posted : 25 March 2018 10:37:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great idea with the foredeck. Loving your build
Regards Gray
arpurchase
#80 Posted : 25 March 2018 13:12:24

BigGrin Very nice work and looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .